Clean Coding

rcmaehl

Okay. This has been bugging me for a while, but what's the best way to make Autoit code clean? Basically, how do I justify my script so that this:

Code code code

more code

huge line of code that I don't want to split using _

Becomes:

Code code code

code code code

code code code

This is probably just me being too OCD about my coding but I'd like my coding to look nice and not have whoever is reading the source have to move their eyes around too much. I guess what I'm asking is how do I make a script more reader friendly?

EDIT:

Example:

$Menu[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Menu1")
$Item[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Leave feedback", $Menu[0], 1)
GUICtrlCreateMenuitem("", $Menu[0], 2)
$Menu[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Menu2")

Line 2 has large a difference in length and is unappealing

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

• Moderators

rcmaehl,

Use Tidy - Ctrl-T or under the <Tools> menu in SciTE4AutoIt3. Lots of customisable settings - look in the SciTE Help under <Extra Utilties - Tidy> to see what they are. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

NOTE: For some reason I can't get the Autoit code to have monospaced font. They should REALLY fix this so I can show you what I mean.

Here's an example:

$Image = GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir &amp;amp; "pic.jpg", @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 1), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 1), @DesktopHeight, 0x00000000, 0x00000200)[/size][/font]
$Clock[0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowTime(), @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Clock[1] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowDate(), @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Input[0] = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 050, 060, 230, 020, 0x00000160, 0x00000228)
$Input[1] = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 280, 040, 050, 020, 0x00000104, 0x00000028)
$Detail = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter Password to Lock", 050, 040, 230, 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Toggle = GUICtrlCreateButton("Lock", 280, 060, 050, 020, 0x0000B300, 0x00000228)

And here's what I normally do to make it "clean"

$_Image[0] = GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "pic.jpg"      , @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 1), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 1), @DesktopHeight, 0x00000000, 0x00000200)
$_Clock[0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowTime()               , @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 8),           020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$_Clock[1] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowDate()               , @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, (@DesktopWidth / 8),           020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$_Input[0] = GUICtrlCreateInput(""                       ,                               050, 060,               230,           020, 0x00000160, 0x00000228)
$_Input[1] = GUICtrlCreateInput(""                       ,                               280, 040,               050,           020, 0x00000104, 0x00000028)
$Detail[0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter Password to Lock"   ,                                 050, 040,               230,           020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Toggle[0] = GUICtrlCreateButton("Lock"                 ,                                280, 060,               050,           020, 0x0000B300, 0x00000228)
Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

• Moderators

rcmaehl,

SciTE4AutoIt3 <Tools> Menu -Select SciTE Config - Go to the AU3 Font Settings group at the bottom of the dialog - Check Monospace Font checkbox. And Robert is your Mum's brother. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Frankly, your second example is VERY hard to follow the way you have it spaced, at least for me. Being anal retentive about line length does not make this easier to follow for me, it might for you, and that's all that's really important. If I were to get this, I'd run Tidy on it and "fix" the spacing to "normal" so I could see what goes where.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

If you want to make your code readable then add (sensible) comments to give an idea of what is happening & it helps you when you come back to the code. Also any reason why you're using the numerical value of the style and not the variable name, for me I have no idea what styles you're using.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

BTW, I believe rcmaehl is referring to having a monospaced font on the forums not in SciTE.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

rcmaehl,

I think I misunderstood your comment about monospaced font above. If you really need a monospaced font in a forum post use [ code]/[ /code] tags - but you lose the pretty colours: :rip:

$Image = GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir &amp;amp; "pic.jpg", @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 1), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 1), @DesktopHeight, 0x00000000, 0x00000200)[/size][/font]
$Clock[0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowTime(), @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 000, (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Clock[1] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowDate(), @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Input[0] = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 050, 060, 230, 020, 0x00000160, 0x00000228)
$Input[1] = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 280, 040, 050, 020, 0x00000104, 0x00000028)
$Detail = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter Password to Lock", 050, 040, 230, 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$Toggle = GUICtrlCreateButton("Lock", 280, 060, 050, 020, 0x0000B300, 0x00000228)

Does that help? :D

M23

BrewManNH,

Just realised! :oops:

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

BTW, I believe rcmaehl is referring to having a monospaced font on the forums not in SciTE.

Yes, I was.

I guess what I'm saying is that I consider code clean if I can find the height/width/x/y/etc of the next control right beneath the previous instead of having to scan the next line looking for it. The code "flows" better and you can easily read the torrent of code that is in front of you.

Example:

Sentence one 10 20 100 20

This is Sentence two 10 40 100 20

Doesn't flow as well as:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]Sentence one         10 20 100 20[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]This is Sentence two 10 40 100 20[/font]

Especially when you have a MANY lines of code.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

rcmaehl,

As you've seen everyone is different when it comes to the style of their coding, my style is different to say the likes of Melba's or BrewManNH's & I have a tendency to place variables in alphabetical order, though I wouldn't call this an ' obsessive compulsive disorder.'

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

If you want to make your code readable then add (sensible) comments to give an idea of what is happening & it helps you when you come back to the code. Also any reason why you're using the numerical value of the style and not the variable name, for me I have no idea what styles you're using.

I prefer to mainly have the function name itself explain what's going on instead of comments as AutoIt scripting generally explains what's going on in itself. (See my D&D character sheet in Example scripts for an example.) The reason I'm using the numerical value for the styles instead of the variable name is because I've memorized the values for all the styles I use. (0x00001000 = Sunken, 0x00000201 = Center Aligned Vertically and Horizontally, 0x10000000 = Show a GUI window by default, I memorize numbers better than letters)

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I am a little like that myself at time guinness, I even went to the extremes of finding a lua script that will sort the lines for my globals for me so I don't have to worry about it as I write.

I'm also a little anal about spaces in between lines in code, I tend to delete the blank lines I find in most downloaded or copied code because it assaults my sensibilities. :D

I am a little like that myself at time guinness

Phew, I was starting to get worried it was just me. :D

I memorize numbers better than letters

Great, but isn't the whole point of this thread to make your code readable to all or did I miss something? Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Phew, I was starting to get worried it was just me. :D

Generally, I'll sort by variables by character length of the variable then alphabetically, however I start to get discouraged when there's like 50 variables.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

• Moderators

rcmaehl,

You might have memorised the numbers but we mere mortals have not. If I find that a script in the forum asking for help with mumbers in place of the constant names it far less likely that I will even begin to look at it. :)

And the first thing I usually do when I have copied/downloaded a script from the forum is run Tidy on it - goodness knows how some people can read their own code in the state they post it - which means your nicely spaced-out parameters all vanish. :rip:

Making code readable is a very personal thing. All my coding life (over 40 years) I have been criticised for "over commenting" - but am I glad I do when I have to look at it again after several weeks/months. Remember that what works for you does not necessarily work for others. As guinness pointed out, we all have our own little foibles - but the majority of the long-term members here have pretty easy-to-follow coding styles. Perhaps take a look at their work and see if there are tips for your own scripts. :D

M23

P.S. And you do not have a very serious case of OCD - I know people who really suffer from it and you do not display anywhere near the level of "attention to detail" that they do. :oops:

Spoiler

I apologise but I edited my previous post just as you were reading it.

UDF List:

I see what he is getting at and depending on what I'm doing I do somewhat of the same thing. One big difference is I will try to do a loop or function when I find I'm using the same command over and over when all I'm doing is having multiple locations for the controls and the spacing is the same between each one. For example:

$x = 30
$y = 1
Do
$L[$y] = GUICtrlCreateLabel(_NowTime(), @DesktopWidth - (@DesktopWidth / 8), $x, (@DesktopWidth / 8), 020, 0x00001001, 0x00000228)
$y = $y + 1
$x = $x + 30
Until $x = 120
Edited by MPH

Foibles, that's a word I don't hear very often :D

UDF List:

• Moderators

guinness,

I like using the odd "odd" word - keeps the readers guessing! :D

M23

Spoiler