Documentation visual style feedback

Valik

As I've mentioned previously I'm liking the overall style of the Help file.

A couple of points to make:

1. What used to be grey text in the 'Example' section is being displayed as red text e.g. the WinAPI.au3 in #include <WinAPI.au3> is displaying as red text.

2. An extra line break between Parameters, Return Value, Remarks, Related & Example.

Thanks for the update.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I don't know if trancexx changed the colors in examples or if that was a glitch in how I built it. I like the colors, though, because they are closer to my own.

As for extra line breaks, those are probably intentional. trancexx, you should probably explain the rationale behind this visual style. I think guinness may be the first of many who think extra whitespace is a mistake and not a design feature.

• Moderators

I like the new style overall, but I have a couple of minor points:

- 1. The font in the "text" pages (e.g. Introduction, Command Line Parameters) is too large. In the example pages it is fine other than the initial explanation line above the syntax box which is of the same size as the "text" pages.

- 2. There are too many added blank lines in the example pages (as guinness mentioned above). It makes the whole page look too washed out and forces unnecessary scrolling.

trancexx,

Valik's comments seem to indicate that you were behind these changes. Please take the above as constructive criticism - I think the overall style is great improvement on what went before. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Valik's comments seem to indicate that you were behind these changes. Please take the above as constructive criticism - I think the overall style is great improvement on what went before. :D

M23

Valik did that intentionally. You believe him?

I saw new help file 30 minutes ago for the first time. I would have chosen thinner font for some stuff, for example.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• Moderators

trancexx,

You believe him?

Of course! Would our beloved leader ever tell intentional untruths? :D

Well, perhaps..... :oops:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Valik did that intentionally. You believe him?

I saw new help file 30 minutes ago for the first time. I would have chosen thinner font for some stuff, for example.

Do not make me move the thread to a more visible forum. Also they can just look at the logs on the CSS and HTML files you changed to see who the author is.

The new documentation style gets the thumbs up from me. I find it much easier to read and generally looks cleaner. The extra whitespace and coloured headings makes the different sections stand out.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

I'm of the exact opposite opinion, while I like the colors and such.

The excess whitespace makes for bad readability, for me. The font for the code examples are too small compared to the rest of the page information, it looks like it was thrown in as an after thought and shrunk to fit. The header text is FAR too large in comparison to the rest of the text on the page and isn't needed to be that large for a help file entry.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The excess whitespace makes for bad readability, for me. The font for the code examples are too small compared to the rest of the page information, it looks like it was thrown in as an after thought and shrunk to fit. The header text is FAR too large in comparison to the rest of the text on the page and isn't needed to be that large for a help file entry.

The same for me.

I think:

- section header without blue background as in previous version is worse

- header text (function name) is too big

- orange color of section names is bad - should be more dark and more bold, maybe some better color

- too much spaces (empty rows) between sections - it looks really worse than in previous version

- font for example scripts is too small - should be the same as in previous version

- button "Open this script" doesn't work for me (in 3.2.12.1 release it works fine)

- all (not auto generated?) pages beside Functions/UDFs are with bad font (bold/too big)

I don't like new style. Previous one was much better.

EDIT:

- button "Open this script" doesn't work for me (in 3.2.12.1 release it works fine)

It didn't work when helpfile was opened by installer during update. At that moment also index Tab of helpfile was empty. After reopening helpfile (close+open) all works fine.

Edited by Zedna

It looks like we have a Marmite situation developing.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

If you guys see pages that do not match the new theme then please list them. Unfortunately the documentation isn't as... elegant as it could be with regards to web technology (Lots of styles are hard-coded). We need some help spotting all these pages so if you see one please tell us where it is.