pseudo static IP address

Guest sammyf

Guest sammyf

Just popping by to let people know that I wrote a small autoIt3 script which some people might find usefull (or perhaps not :)

It generates an HTML file containing a redirection to your current dynamic IP address and then trasmits it to an FTP server of your choice. It's a bit like having a static IP address, but much cheaper (it also lacks some of the advantages of a real static IP address, but nothing's perfect :evil:

you can get the executable and the .au3 script at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sammyf/redirect2local.ziphttp://perso.wanadoo.fr/sammyf/redirect2local.zip

have fun,

Sammy

Guest sammyf

well .. I guess that if you're behind a router, then it won't work ... nothing I can do about it I'm afraid :)

It only works for computers which are directly connected to the internet (the gateway in a LAN for example)

And no .. I was *really* lazy, so I didn't even write the FTP routines. I'm merely using FTP.EXE which comes with windows for the file transfer :evil:

bbye,

Sammy

Aww, nice work... But I too am behind a router. I'm too scared to make static IP addresses for my network because I've never done it and I don't want to screw anything up!

FootbaG

Guest sammyf

Well, if I'm not mislead, getIP just returns the system var @IPAddress1. My script goes a little bit beyond that :)

Anyway, the thing with static IP addresses is : if you don't have a web- or ftp-server (or are running a dedicated game server), then you don't really need them.

And as someone on IRC told me, "nice work, but why don't you just use dyndns?"

The answer is of course that I wasn't aware of all the dyndns servers out there, otherwise I'd have saved my time :evil:

bbye,

Sammy

If InetGet("http://checkip.dyndns.org/?rnd1=" & Random(1, 65536) & "&rnd2=" & Random(1, 65536), @TempDir & "\~ip.tmp") Then

That's the 2nd line in the GetIP function, it parses it directly from a public web server.

Writing AutoIt scripts since

_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

If you go to www.no-ip.com you can sign up for a free hostname.

Then you download for free again a simple tool from their site which updates your ip to your new host name.

So there is a completly free way to get a static ip.

It takes about 5mins to set up, you get a name like myname.no-ip.info.

I log into my ftp by forwarding the ip and port of the computer on my network thats running the ftp server to my router, and then I can log into my site using the address ftp://myname.no-ip.info without ever having to worry about my ipchanging.

Edited by Nova