copy substring from position

Hey Guys,

I'm putting together a script to read to magswipe card reader, take the data on a card, extract a certain string, match it to a text file, and open a gate.

So far everything is working except extracting the proper string.

This is what I get from the card reader, the X's represent the data I want to extract. Some cards have different headers.

%26410006XXXXX?

;9710000XXXXX??

%%9710000XXXXX?

and sometimes the string form the card reader has a CR...

XXXXX?

;9710000XXXXX??

I want to select the 5 characters to the left of the first question mark but I'm not sure how to do it reliably with the string functions.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

edthedestroyer,

Just the job for an SRE: :D

Global $aString[4] = ["%26410006XXXXX?", ";9710000YYYYY??", "%%9710000ZZZZZ?", "QQQQQ?" & @CRLF & ";971000055555??"]

For $i = 0 To UBound($aString) - 1

$aRet = StringRegExp($aString[$i], "d(.{5})?", 3)

ConsoleWrite($aRet[0] & @CRLF)

Next

The SRE looks for a number followed by 5 characters preceding a ? and captures the 5 characters. :rip:

Does it do what you want? :oops:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

kylomas,

Isn't the OP asking for the 5 chars preceding the first question mark, regardless of datatype?

But that is what I get when I run my code - I deliberately made the final string all numeric to show it was not fussy! :D

As I read his post the first 3 examples are separate results (the first 3 elements of the array) while the final one is a single result including a CR (the final element). If the final example is in fact 2 separate results then we just need to alter the pattern like this:

Global $aString[5] = ["%26410006XXXXX?", ";9710000YYYYY??", "%%9710000ZZZZZ?", "QQQQQ?", ";971000055555??"]

For $i = 0 To UBound($aString) - 1

$aRet = StringRegExp($aString[$i], "(?:A|d)(.{5})?", 3)

ConsoleWrite($aRet[0] & @CRLF)

Next

Now we look for a preceding number or the beginning of the string before the 5 characters. :oops:

The OP can choose whichever of the SREs best suits his purposes. Lesson to others reading - make your question as clear as you can to help those who reply. :rip:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

edthedestroyer,

I was looking at that function but I haven't got my head around it yet

I am not at all sure that anyone else has either - we just have varying degrees of understanding, but all below 100%. :D

M23

Spoiler

M23,

IS this correct:

(?: - start first group non-capturing

A|d) - find any alpha/numeric data

* - first group is thrown away?????

(.{5}) - capture groups of any 5 chars)

? - until I find a ? mark

Thanks,

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Moderators

kylomas,

I seem to have become your personal SRE slave lately! :oops:

You are pretty close:

(?:A|d) - Noncapturing group of either the beginning of the string (A) or (|) a digit (d)
(.{5})    - Capturing group of exactly 5 characters of any type
?        - Which are followed by a ? (we need to escape it with the  because ? is an SRE command for "might not exist")

All clear? :D

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

kylomas,

Look at the smiley - I was only joking. Do keep asking, although I am not the SRE expert around here by a long way. But GEOSoft and jchd tend to look in at my SRE posts (probably for a laugh :oops:) and they usually correct my more stupid errors. :D

M23

Spoiler

A laugh? No, we only feel sadness and pity.

Now that was a good laugh!

@kylomas,

M23 was clearly joking.

:D

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Moderators

jchd,

sadness and pity

Well seeing you two taught (or tried to teach) me most of what little I know about SREs, I think that is very unfair! :D

M23

Spoiler

M23 don't be shy, you know you're doing well.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Moderators

kylomas,

do NOT want to do anything to alienate the people providing all the help

You are not, so do not worry about it. :D

m23

Spoiler

As far as everyone can wit you're not the last one to provide help too, don't worry, be happy!