Autplay autoit program

saywell

Hi,

I'm updating my program for loading photos onto my PC [from memory card].

I'd like to have an option in the windoze 'autoplay' context so that when I insert the card, there's an option to run my app from the po-up context menu.

I've searched forums for 'autoplay' - amazingly only 4 hits, none relevant.

Any suggestions as to how to do this? I presume it will need some registry keys added/altered when the app first runs.

Regards,

William

Thanks Mikeman. I know it's not really autoit, but there's so much knowledge here...

I'd looked at autorun.inf and use it for a CD program I've written - but most memory cards don't have one, and I wouldn't want to have to install one on every card I might use.

Some programs, eg Picasa, add themselves to the autoplay context menu when they're installed, so that they become an option if any card is inserted. That's what I'm after.

Regards,

William

• 2 months later...

I think I hit on what William was looking to do here. Lets say you insert a movie disc or music CD and you want your program to trigger off that. You need to enter some registry information.

Being a noob here myself I simply used Autoplay Repair to create the functionality I needed, then searched the registry and exported it all to a file that I could use to merge on installs of my apps.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDVD]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDVDshell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDVDshellMyAutoItApp]

@="AutoRip"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDVDshellMyAutoItAppcommand]

@="C:Program Files (x86)MyAutoItAppMyAutoItApp.exe "%L""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAutoplayHandlersHandlersMyAutoItApp]

"Action"="My Apps Function"

"DefaultIcon"="C:Program Files (x86)MyAutoItAppMyAutoItApp.exe,0"

"InvokeProgID"="DVD"

"InvokeVerb"="MyAutoItApp"

"Provider"="MyAutoItApp"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAutoplayHandlersEventHandlersPlayDVDMovieOnArrival]

"MyAutoItApp"=""

This results in an option when a DVD is inserted to

"My Apps Function using MyAutoItApp"

In the registry under the AutoPlayHandlers there are many different EventHandlers you could use.