Placing an application window over a game (full screen)?

dtudin01

Hi,

I've never used AutoIt before, and just came across it today when doing some googling, but it looks really powerful, so I'd like to ask if it can help me with something I'm trying to do.

I have a need to show one application window over another, sort of like a picture in picture display. The main application (which is a 'game' - Arma2's more serious variant, VBS2) runs in full screen exclusive mode, and if it loses focus minimized itself. I need to have another application window popup over it, but have the focus remain on VBS. I don't need to interact with the popup window other than to see it... but I do need a means of making it show/hide.

Is this something AutoIt can help me with? Can I use it to call up an application and force it to the foreground without changing focus?

Thanks,

david

• Moderators

dtudin01,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

Although you are not looking to automate a game as such, you are sailing pretty close to the Forum Rules. I have asked a Mod to take a look at it and make a ruling. If they allow the thread to continue then we can help you further. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and warnings - I didn't look at the rules before, but was primarily looking to see if such a thing would be possible first and foremost, not jumping right in with how to do it. But if this is possible, then that would be fantastic.

Thanks for asking a mod to take a look at this thread Melba - I suppose mentioning a game is making me straddle the line, but my project here definitely isn't for making any kind of cheats for online play or hacking a game in any way - it's actually for a work project, if that helps any. I can explain the project and my intent further to a mod if that would help my case at all.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Moderators

I can explain the project and my intent further

If you feel you could do that in open forum, I would do so now to speed up the process. I must say I have some difficulty with resolving "popping up an app over a game" with "work project" - but that is your problem! :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Developers

Jos I will send you a PM if that is ok.

No need to do that. Just continue your questions here and ensure you follow our set rules. :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

No need to do that. Just continue your questions here and ensure you follow our set rules. :)

Oh, alright. Thanks - I was writing you a message while you replied. Thanks.

So, I literally just downloaded AutoIt, so I'm at the complete newb stage. I think I will have better questions that I can add to this thread later after I do a bit of reading, but I guess my first question then is can I open another exe and make sure it stays on top of everything? And can I do this from another application? Like inside an dll?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Good afternoon,

Not sure if this was ever resolved, but if so would you be able to post the solution? Or possibly someone new could look at this and see what they come up with. I'm currently trying to overlay a map on DayZ so as not to have to switch back and forth between the game window and the map.

Thanks,

-Brian

[center]JSON Encoding UDF[/center]

• Moderators

BAM5,

Please read the Forum Rules before you post again. We do not support any script that seeks to gain an advantage in a game - we count that as game automation. :naughty:

And so...... <click>*

M23

* with full credit to Jos. :D

Spoiler