Will you beta test my current script, please?

I am restructuring Jos' SciTEConfig to allow more control over SciTE.

I would greatly appreciate if you would run it on your machine and tell me if it presents an accurate picture of your current SciTE configuration, please.

This is not intended to replace the current SciTEConfig. This is just an alternative for those of us that want more control.

This script will now perform the following duties:

1. Load a new theme.

2. Change the default action of scripts, I.E., change from edit to run.

3. Enable and disable tools from the Tools menu.

4. Change the loaded definitions from production to beta.

5. Enable and disable the context menu entries.

6. A live preview for on the fly tweaking!

Note: For most of these items, the script must be compiled.

Note: If you decide to change any of the 'Context Menu' items then be sure to back up your current registry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: Back up your au3.properties too.

Note: Works best with the latest AutoIt3 beta version (3.3.9). Also, works best with Jos' latest SciTE4AutoIt3 betas.

Enjoy!

SciTE Customizer previous: 15|5|4|0|21|0|10|5|9|11|6

Edited by LaCastiglione

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little program, but I have noticed a few english errors (Such as a button spelt hilite rather than highlight in the general tab). Also, I have found that it doesnt actually work for me :)

Before you get worried, the reason is that the scite I tested it on was running off my thumbdrive - there is no autoit installation on the computer I am currently using. Therefore, I think that it might be a good idea to have an option for the user to change the directory that it checks for the scite settings in if they are not found by the program, and also have an optional override if they want to use it on a computer (such as my own one, not the one I am using now) where there is a local installation and one on another drive.

Well, thats about it for my criticism for now. Other than that, it is quite well laid out - not horribly cluttered or anything like that. If this were to become a finished project, I would definately use it.

Hope this has helped, and given you a good idea for the program.

Thank you for the kind words. Seeing as to how Australia is the opposite side of Earth and another hemisphere, things there are the opposite of what they are here. My winters are your summers and my nights are your days. Right? I hope that my constructive criticism isn't your sarcasm. =P Kidding.

I corrected the spelling mistakes and am now thinking of how to best implement your suggestions. Thanks!

SciTE was running at the time right? This is strange because SciTE has an interface for getting user settings. No need to know where the SciTE directory is located.

Edited by LaCastiglione

The original SciTeconfig would write the configuration for some of the settings in properties files that are normally in the User's profile folder and not in the Scite folder. It would ignore the SciTE folder and put them there even if you don't have AutoIt3 and Scite installed on the computer. If yours can overcome that defect I would definitely be interested in taking a look at it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The original SciTeconfig would write the configuration for some of the settings in properties files that are normally in the User's profile folder and not in the Scite folder. It would ignore the SciTE folder and put them there even if you don't have AutoIt3 and Scite installed on the computer. If yours can overcome that defect I would definitely be interested in taking a look at it.

Have you run the script on your machine? If so, did it get your configuration or did it even work at all?

If SciTE and AutoIt are not installed then SciTEConfig wouldn't be on your computer.

Edited by LaCastiglione

If where talking anal here ...

In relation to the "User Include Folders" setting, adding some additional support for handling the possible multiple path's here might be a idea.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

If where talking anal here ...

In relation to the "User Include Folders" setting, adding some additional support for handling the possible multiple path's here might be a idea.

I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't AutoIt only use one folder as the include folder?

Edited by LaCastiglione

So, I'm assuming that you ran the script and that it presented your current SciTE and Tidy configurations accurately?

Well, Yes. Although I did not pay to much attention if settings where actually correct compared to what I use. (Will do that later ... )

I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't AutoIt only use one folder as the include folder?

Nope, you can use more locations/folders if you like in the 'User' Include setting. (semicolon delimited path setting) ... "X:/Path1;Y:/Path2"

- Useful for keeping different types of 'User' includes files separated. (Debug, Personal function, Others, etc)

Edited by MvGulik

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

Knock Knock ...

Could not find any settings problem. Except maybe the Tidy:'Tail comments'. All four check-marks are on. (I'm not using any of the related settings in Tidy.ini. ... Except for "endfunc_comment=0", but that one seems to be a old/depreciated option name.)

---

Personal code comment:

When using a lot of switch cases I generally use a initial "Nothing to do" case. (Just a personal habit to eliminate a full scan in case its not really needed.)

$message = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $message ; main edit messages
Case 0 ;; nothing to do.
Case $bgcolor_btn
Edited by MvGulik

Knock Knock ...

If were talking anal here ...

In relation to the "User Include Folders" setting, adding some additional support for handling the possible multiple paths here might be a idea.

Please try the latest version to see if this is what you wanted. I did the Case 0 thing. I can't believe that I never thought to do that!

Edited by LaCastiglione

Observed change: Additional folder selection for the "Standard library" setting.

No no. :) Although being able to change the "Standard library" setting was missing. That was not what I had in mind.

The general problem I have in mind is that here, and in SciteConfig. When you use the [select] on the "User-defined libraries" setting. It allows you only to changed the whole string with a new, but single, path.

So in the case of a user that has a "User-defined libraries" setting with multiple paths (aka: Me). The [select] feature is of no real use.

... But considering the potential work needed versus the minor benefits. I would first take a good look at it ... (+Source code is available, so If I really feel like I need something like that, I could/should try it myself of course.)

Tidy:'Tail comments': Seems ok now, But can't say much more as Tidy itself is giving me unexpected results after trying to ditch the "endfunc_comment=N" option. ... and dinner is calling.

Knock Knock ...

Thank you for the kind words. Seeing as to how Australia is the opposite side of Earth and another hemisphere, things there are the opposite of what they are here. My winters are your summers and my nights are your days. Right? I hope that my constructive criticism isn't your sarcasm. =P Kidding.

I corrected the spelling mistakes and am now thinking of how to best implement your suggestions. Thanks!

SciTE was running at the time right? This is strange because SciTE has an interface for getting user settings. No need to know where the SciTE directory is located.

Yeah I had it running. But because I use it on numerous computers (and I am a huge fan of portable applications), I had it running off my thumbdrive. Well, I will be looking forward to see whether you will implement that idea of mine, and if so, I will be :) <As happy as that guy there haha.

Yeah I had it running. But because I use it on numerous computers (and I am a huge fan of portable applications), I had it running off my thumbdrive. Well, I will be looking forward to see whether you will implement that idea of mine, and if so, I will be :) <As happy as that guy there haha.

I don't think it can be done. That is if I'm understanding you. I'm going to put SciTE on a thumbdrive and try it on a computer which has never had SciTE installed.

Edit: Forgot to Quote Mikeman

Edited by LaCastiglione

I can't get this to run for me. If I run the script from SciTE it errors with the following error:

C:AutoItScriptsSciTE4AU3 ConfigSciTE Director.au3 (26) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$this.AddProperty("Hwnd", $elscope_private, $hwnd)

$this.AddProperty("Hwnd", $elscope_private, $hwnd)^ ERROR

If I run the .exe it just puts an icon in the System tray and no GUI shows up and it does nothing.

Windows 7 Enterprise, x86, running as an administrator.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I can't get this to run for me. If I run the script from SciTE it errors with the following error:

If I run the .exe it just puts an icon in the System tray and no GUI shows up and it does nothing.

Windows 7 Enterprise, x86, running as an administrator.

Beta or release version of AutoIt? I forgot to mention that the beta version is needed.

Edited by LaCastiglione

I was using the release. With the Beta version the error goes away, but I found another issue, when I try to change the font used, as soon as I select a font and click OK in the font window I get a series of errors and the font change doesn't get applied.

BTW, this is being used on an installed version of AutoIt, not a portable version, so far.

=============================================

! AutoItCOM Test: We intercepted a COM error!

description :

windescription: Member not found.

number : 0x80020003

lastdllerror : 0

scriptline : (2578)

source :

helpfile :

helpcontext : 2036879460

description :

scriptline : (2579)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2580)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2581)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2582)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2583)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2584)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2585)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2586)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2587)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2588)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2589)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2590)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2591)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2592)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2593)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2594)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2595)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2596)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2597)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2598)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2599)

source :

helpfile :

description :

scriptline : (2600)

source :

helpfile :

I was using the release. With the Beta version the error goes away, but I found another issue, when I try to change the font used, as soon as I select a font and click OK in the font window I get a series of errors and the font change doesn't get applied.

BTW, this is being used on an installed version of AutoIt, not a portable version, so far.

Updated. See OP.

Ok, the error with the font selection is gone now, that's a good thing. :)

But, the theme tab doesn't accurately show the console window colors. Also, the Tools tab isn't showing anything in it.

Ok, the error with the font selection is gone now, that's a good thing. :)

But, the theme tab doesn't accurately show the console window colors. Also, the Tools tab isn't showing anything in it.

Could you show me a screen shot of the Theme Settings window and of your console window which show the colors in question?