8  | 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
   7  | 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
   6  | 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
   5  | 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
   4  | 0, 1, 2, 3
   3  | 0, 1, 2
   2  | 0, 1
   1  | 0

There is no zero in a unary (base 1) system, actually there's technically no 1 in a base 1 system it usually uses something to represent the count, not numbers per se.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

As already shown above, that something should be 0 if you look at how the bases above it work.

Your argument could be extended to say: Binary doesn't need numbers, it could use + and - instead to represent count and not-count:

-+--+----++--+-+-++-++---++-++---++-++++--+-++----+------+-+-+++-++-++++-+++--+--++-++---++--+----+----+

Perfectly true, but for consistency with the notation for other numeric bases we use 0 and 1. Look at the table posted above and you'll see why I say that base 1 should use zero.

Base 1 should definately use zero - there can be no argument about that. However using 1 as a numeric base is highly questionable in the first place. Does a simple tally system really have the credentials to be considered a numeric base?.

Edit

Hypothetically speaking, base zero would have to use infinity to represent all values.

Edited by czardas

Base 0 ... Erm ... something based on nothing ... Might work ... some day.

Base 1 with Zero(as value) is ... mmm, better left as hypothetical funny case ... to.

---

:)

PS: Think its better to look around the internet for some info on these two case than thinking about it yourself. (unless you have a really good math brain of course.). ... As some (other) math brains probably already though and wrote something about these tricky cases.

[Edits: ... lots ... ]

Edited by MvGulik

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Since it can't represent all real numbers I am very tempted to say no.

Why can't it? If you take a mark, be it 1 or 0 or whatever you want to use, and define it as a fractional amount then it would work for real numbers as well.

Using the classic fractional example of a pie cut into eight pieces, if you defined each mark to be 1 pie then IIIII would be five pies. However, if you defined each mark to be a slice of pie, then IIIII would be 5/8 of a pie.

Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Ok. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that base 0 was a tally.

Let's look at the theory. From other bases we can see that there should be only one character (by looking at the pattern of characters I have already said this should be zero, ofc that looks silly in practice and doesn't actually work). The positions are in increasing powers of 1 as you go to the left, and decreasing to the right. That's a rather useless thing though as 1^x == 1. Representing any decimal is therefore not possible as all powers on the right are still 1/1 = 1, so you can't represent something less than 1. 1 ^ infinity should be 1 (undefined by wolfram alpha, but log laws (inf*log(1) = inf*0) mean it could be anything, but would usually be defined as 1). From that I conclude no decimal less than 1 can be represented by base 1, so it's not a real number system.

If you define it any other way (so a tally = epsilon or whatever) then it's different. It's not a numeric bases system in the same way roman numerals aren't.

With things like this I generally try to visualize the process by associating it with something tangible. A mechanical clock, or simple difference engine, is more familiar to me. Each time the base value is reached, the next cog in the gear sequence rotates one click and the preceeding wheel is reset. Since there is only one value in the 'hypothetical' base 1, we end up with an error and the system breaks down. Of course there is no rigour in such an argument.

This could also be a question of semantics: all numeric bases can be used as tally systems. I don't see this expression as holding true when reversed.

Edited by czardas