Report Help File Issues Here

guinness

Example scripts for most of the _Excelxx functions demonstrate bad programming techniques.

The example scripts have include lines in the middle of the scripts and duplicating the include(s) used from the first example in that script through all of the rest of the examples. Knowing that the includes used should have the #include-once directive in them, which will prevent them being added more than once, shouldn't be an excuse for writing/delivering such bad programming techniques to a potential new or inexperienced user in the help files.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm glad you brought this up BrewManNH as I was about to post how to contribute to the help file. If anyone feels like contributing or believes an example could be improved, then simple use the examples provided in C:Program FilesAutoItExamples and update accordingly. From there upload here and I will take a look at whether it/they should be included. Thanks.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I've updated some of the examples for the _Excel functions from the help files. I've corrected a few errors in the scripts, modified how some were written, made the msgbox displayed for the examples more informative, and removed the extra #include lines that were in them.

Help_Excel_Examples_Rewrites.zip

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Also, in an unrelated issue, in the help file for _GUICtrlRichEditCreate, there's no mention of 2 of the error values returned if there's a problem.

The error values are 1 - Invalid Window handle for _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create 1st parameter

2 - 2nd parameter not a string for _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create

Also, in an unrelated issue, in the help file for _GUICtrlRichEditCreate, there's no mention of 2 of the error values returned if there's a problem.

The error values are 1 - Invalid Window handle for _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create 1st parameter

2 - 2nd parameter not a string for _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create

This is not necessarily a problem. As long as it's documented that @error is set to non-zero, the actual error is probably irrelevant.

I don't understant fear people with svn acces have, it's like you are incompotent. Use your damn access! Fix things yourself, guinness can't do everything alone.

Take responibility. For example, some of the UDFs are in terrible shape and trac is full of bug UDF related reports. You don't expect devs to fix them, right?

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I don't have svn access, or if I do, have no idea how to access it. It wasn't in the MVP user's manual. :D

Do you want it?

I would not complain if it was given to me.

I've given access to numerous people and only a couple have committed anything.

That's the next thing I'm going to do - activate my svn access - as soon as I get to install a copy of Windows on my Ubuntu machine.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Take responibility. For example, some of the UDFs are in terrible shape and trac is full of bug UDF related reports. You don't expect devs to fix them, right?

That confirms one question I had about changing some of the UDFs I've seen. Thanks trancexx.

Cheers BrewManNH, my post wasn't directly aimed at you per say but I will commit your changes today as well as fixing the outstanding issues in this thread.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Agreed, but I don't particularly like the way you are saying that.

Ah yes. I didn't particuraly like what you did also. Those pics were not to be shared. What, you needed me to explicitly say that?

So anyway, excuse me if I don't care about your feelings.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

FAQ

section for the techinical limits of AutoIt3

Done.

So yeah, why exactly is -3 hard coded in that example? We created symbolic constants so magic numbers wouldn't be used in scripts... and then our own examples use the magic numbers? Fail.

Fixed all occurrences of the -3 magic number.

AutoItExamplesGUIAdvancedtreeview.au3

Case $msg = -3 Or $msg = -1 Or $msg = $cancelbutton

Re-wrote the example!

AutoItExamplesGUIAdvanceddice.au3

$die = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 185, 25, 70, 20, 0x1000)

Re-wrote the example!

AutoItExamplesGUIAdvancedencrypt.au3

$InputPass = GUICtrlCreateInput('', 5, 360, 100, 20, 0x21)
; Creates the password box with blured/centered input
;~~
$InputLevel = GUICtrlCreateInput(1, 110, 360, 50, 20, 0x2001)

Fixed.

CLSID List

Network Computers "::{1f4de370-d627-11d1-ba4f-00a0c91eedba}"

>>> Computer search results folder

List taken from Registry Guide for Windows at WinGuides Network - the link directs to a page that does not contain a list of. Whether the reference is necessary? Information on the Internet a lot.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/61/

Example: FileSelectFolder ("Choose a folder.", "::{00000000-1080-F9E5-6311-4162E05A6BEE}", 1)

This folder is not in the list

Fixed.

Example OSLangCodes.htm

#include <Array.au3>
$sText = FileRead(@ScriptDir&'Culture.xml') ; http://cartotheque.googlecode.com/svn-history/r29/trunk/Schemas/Dic/Culture.xml
$aText=StringRegExp($sText, '(?s)<Language Name(.+?<Code Source="NLS" Encoding="Hex">[[:xdigit:]]+?</Code>)', 3)

$err = ''
$kol = 0
$kolerr = 0
$htm = ''
Global $A4D[300][4]
For $i = 0 To UBound($aText)-1
    $tmp=StringRegExp($aText[$i], '(?s)<Label xml:lang="en">([^rn]+?))</Label>.+?<Code Source="IETF">(.+?)</Code>.+?<Code Source="NLS" Encoding="Hex">([[:xdigit:]]+?)</Code>', 3)
    If @error And Not UBound($tmp)=3 Then
        $err &= $aText[$i] &@CRLF &@CRLF&@CRLF &@CRLF&@CRLF &@CRLF
        $kolerr +=1
    Else
        $kol +=1
        $A4D[$kol][0] = StringLower($tmp[2])
        $A4D[$kol][1] = Dec($tmp[2])
        $A4D[$kol][2] = $tmp[1]
        $A4D[$kol][3] = $tmp[0]
    EndIf
Next
If $kolerr Then MsgBox(0, $kolerr, $err)

ReDim $A4D[$kol+1][4]
$A4D[0][0] = $kol

_ArraySort($A4D, 0, 1)
_ArrayDisplay($A4D, 'Array')

$htm = ''
For $i = 1 To $A4D[0][0]
    $htm &= '<tr><td>'&$A4D[$i][0]&'</td><td>'&$A4D[$i][1]&'</td><td>'&$A4D[$i][2]&'</td><td>'&$A4D[$i][3]&'</td><td>' &@CRLF
Next

ClipPut($htm)

Example

MsgBox(0, "Your OS Language:", _Language())

Func _Language()
    Switch @OSLang
        Case "0413", "0813"
            Return "Dutch"

Case "0409", "0809", "0c09", "1009", "1409", "1809", "1c09", "2009", "2409", "2809", "2c09", "3009", "3409"
            Return "English"

Case "040c", "080c", "0c0c", "100c", "140c", "180c"
            Return "French"

Case "0407", "0807", "0c07", "1007", "1407"
            Return "German"

Case "0410", "0810"
            Return "Italian"

Case "0414", "0814"
            Return "Norwegian"

Case "0415"
            Return "Polish"

Case "0416", "0816"
            Return "Portuguese"

Case "040a", "080a", "0c0a", "100a", "140a", "180a", "1c0a", "200a", "240a", "280a", "2c0a", "300a", "340a", "380a", "3c0a", "400a", "440a", "480a", "4c0a", "500a"
            Return "Spanish"

Case "041d", "081d"
            Return "Swedish"

Case Else
            Return "Other (can't determine with @OSLang directly)"

EndSwitch
EndFunc
Thanks for the code to parse the Culture.xml file and your idea of improving the @OSLang section in general.

Also you were missing a closing <tr> tag. See the amendment.

$htm &= '<tr>' & @CRLF & '<td>' & $A4D[$i][0] & '</td>' & @CRLF & '<td>' & $A4D[$i][1] & '</td>' & @CRLF & '<td>' & $A4D[$i][2] & '</td>' & @CRLF & '<td>' & $A4D[$i][3] & '</td>' & @CRLF & '</tr>' & @CRLF

UDF List:

I've updated some of the examples for the _Excel functions from the help files. I've corrected a few errors in the scripts, modified how some were written, made the msgbox displayed for the examples more informative, and removed the extra #include lines that were in them.

Help_Excel_Examples_Rewrites.zip

Just one point to make, I made the mistake once of changing MsgBox(4096, to MsgBox(0, until trancexx pointed out that a system modal dialogue box is a preferred choice due to focus (if I remember correctly.) So I reverted back to MsgBox(4096, where applicable. Thanks for helping out.

UDF List:

_GUICtrlStatusBar_SetText($hWnd, $sText = "", $iPart = 0, $iUFlag = 0)
_GUICtrlStatusBar_SetSimple($hWnd, $fSimple = True)

$hWnd[, $sText = ""[, $iPart = 0[, $iUFlag = 0]]]

Done.

_WinAPI_CreateSolidBrush

_WinAPI_GetWindowDC

_WinAPI_FrameRect

Example

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $hGUI, $hBrush, $hDC
    Local $hBrush, $hDC, $hGUI, $ptrRect, $tRect

$hGUI = GUICreate("WinAPI", 400, 300)
    $hDC = _WinAPI_GetWindowDC($hGUI)
    GUISetState()

$hBrush = _WinAPI_CreateSolidBrush(0x0000FF)
    $tRect = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
    DllStructSetData($tRect, "Left", 20)
    DllStructSetData($tRect, "Top", 50)
    DllStructSetData($tRect, "Right", 200)
    DllStructSetData($tRect, "Bottom", 200)
    $ptrRect = DllStructGetPtr($tRect)
    _WinAPI_FrameRect($hDC, $ptrRect, $hBrush)

Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

_WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBrush)
    _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($hGUI, $hDC)

EndFunc
I will consider though the example will need to be tidied up.

_WinAPI_MAKELANGID

Example

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>

$LangID = _WinAPI_MAKELANGID($LANG_ENGLISH, $SUBLANG_DEFAULT)
MsgBox(4096, '', Hex(Int($LangID), 4) & @LF & $LangID)

_WinAPI_PtInRect

Example

#include <WinAPI.au3>

$tRect = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
DllStructSetData($tRect, "Left", 20)
DllStructSetData($tRect, "Top", 50)
DllStructSetData($tRect, "Right", 200)
DllStructSetData($tRect, "Bottom", 200)

$tPoint = DllStructCreate($tagPOINT)
DllStructSetData($tPoint, "X", 120)
DllStructSetData($tPoint, "Y", 120)

MsgBox(4096, 'PtInRect', _WinAPI_PtInRect($tRect, $tPoint))

_WinAPI_FindExecutable

Example: @ScriptName -> @ScriptFullPath

Done.

_WinAPI_IsWindow

Success: Handle is a window

Failure: Handle is not a window

And where is the "True", "False"?

Done.

Also fixed an error in _WinAPI_IsWindowVisible too.

_WinAPI_GetCurrentProcess

pseudo

Sorry?

UDF List: