Choose printer on a network

How do I make a script that chooses a specific printer among many other printers?

Thanks in advance :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would image that this would depend on the software you are printing from. I don't think you could change the default printer on the fly during the target programs operation, for instance. I believe that programs generally read the default from the OS at app launch and store it. So, you would probably need to use hotkeys and alot of controlclick's and controlsend's.

JamesBand

I would image that this would depend on the software you are printing from.  I don't think you could change the default printer on the fly during the target programs operation, for instance.  I believe that programs generally read the default from the OS at app launch and store it.  So, you would probably need to use hotkeys and alot of controlclick's and controlsend's.

JamesBand

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks, that's the solution I use now. But the problem is when we install or replace a printer, then i have to upgrade all my scripts.

The program is fx Word and reader.

This is realy a big problem for me.

thanks, that's the solution I use now. But the problem is when we install or replace a printer, then i have to upgrade all my scripts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may want to try macro software that records your mouse movements and keystrokes. That way updating the macros wouldn't be so cumbersome.

JamesBand

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have a few options:

1) Find a way to push the new scripts down to the client computers when you update your scripts in a central location.

2) Write your scripts so that they check a list of printers in some kind of central share so that they are always synchronized to your most recent printer list.

3) Write secondary scripts that periodically scan the network for printer changes (new printers, removed printers) and update the primary scripts accordingly.