Notify - New version 17 Mar 22

Melba23

• Moderators

ringerl,

Try this:  

M23

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hello Melba23,

I used your UDF ( Notify, Notify_Mod ) , I look very good. I want to know what differences there are between them.

And how I can there to increase the height of the notifications.

Thank you very much Melba,

Ariel

• Moderators

conmed,

The difference is that the _Mod code will truncate a Notification title/text if it is too long to fit in the max allowed width rather then throw an error and not display at all like the current release code.

As explained several times in the thread, I am not interested in increasing the height of the notifications - they are designed for quick messages, not large blocks of data. The idea is that you can fit several on-screen at once, so increasing the height would reduce this number as they all need to be the same size - or at least I am not recoding the UDF to cater for variable sizes!

If you cannot get the message into 2 lines I suggest you use one of my other UDFs (ExtMsgBox or Toast) which do allow larger texts to be displayed.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Thank you for answer, now I understand , you're right in the use of these notifications and now I see your other UDF , all are very good and especially useful for any design.

Thank you very much Melba23 ,

Conmed

In the end, I need to look at the UDF.
Quite pretty ;)

But my question is, how would cause many different programs displayed the notifications one over the other.
Ie. depending on who was the first to do its job then this will display a notification at the bottom of the screen, then a program that finished as the second task will display a notification above the last displayed notification, if the third program to exit this display, its notification to the last displayed notification, etc .....

Any concept how to do that together with this UDF ?

Best regards,

mLipok

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

mLipok,

I am not sure I entirely understand the question - so here are 2 approaches that might be useful.

- 1. Here the notifications appear as the tasks complete:

#include "Notify.au3"

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit")

$nTask1 = TimerInit()
$nTask2 = TimerInit()
$nTask3 = TimerInit()

$iDelay1 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)
$iDelay2 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)
$iDelay3 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)

While 1

If $nTask1 Then
        If TimerDiff($nTask1) > $iDelay1 Then
            $nTask1 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 1", "Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask2 Then
        If TimerDiff($nTask2) > $iDelay2 Then
            $nTask2 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 2", "Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask3 Then
        If TimerDiff($nTask3) > $iDelay3 Then
            $nTask3 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 3", "Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

WEnd

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

The notifications automatically appear in the order of completion - but I think that you might want them to appear in their original numerical order.

- 2. So here is a way to do that - by changing the text inside the notifications once the task completes:

#include "Notify.au3"

$nTask1 = TimerInit()
$nTask2 = TimerInit()
$nTask3 = TimerInit()

$iDelay1 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)
$iDelay2 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)
$iDelay3 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)

$hNotify1 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 1", "Running")
$hNotify2 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 2", "Running")
$hNotify3 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 3", "Running")

While 1

If $nTask1 Then
            $nTask1 = 0
            ControlSetText($hNotify1, "", "[CLASS:Static;INSTANCE:2]", "Task Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask2 Then
            $nTask2 = 0
            ControlSetText($hNotify2, "", "[CLASS:Static;INSTANCE:2]", "Task Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask3 Then
            $nTask3 = 0
            ControlSetText($hNotify3, "", "[CLASS:Static;INSTANCE:2]", "Task Completed")
        EndIf

EndIf

WEnd

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

Are either of those approaches what you require?

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

Any of the above of any use? If the second example is close to what you want I have also looked into how to change the content/colour of the notifications post-appearence and produced a Beta UDF which makes it very easy. Let me know if you are interested in testing.

M23

Spoiler

Your examples are interesting, but not consistent with my idea.
So I will try to present this question again in a different way.

I have serveral script running as several separate windows processs.
I want to get possibility to show notyfication one above other , regardless of which process at any given time will show its notification.
If some process want to show notification , this notyfication message should open above all other allready opened/visible notification .

I hope now it is clear what I'm asking for.

Cheers,

mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• Moderators

mLipok,

You will need some form of inter-script communication to get these separate processes talking to the script producing the notifications. Once the notifications are triggered they will automatically appear one above the other in order as shown in the first example I posted above.

M23

Spoiler

I see you are using:

ControlSetText($hNotify1, "", "[CLASS:Static;INSTANCE:2]", "Task Completed")

after some more thinking about I think I can do it with ControlGetPos

But I must be sure That I know what Title and Text will be part of each message.

And then I will be able to us WinList ( ["title" [, "text"]] ) + ControlGetPos

What you think ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

The handle for the notification is returned by _Notify_Show, so referencing the GUI is easy - no need for the title/text.

M23

Spoiler

Yes but the handle is know only inside one script (exactly this which make notification).

For my need I must make interoperational communication or.....

Feature Request: please add GUID to your UDF and add this GUID to all windows as a hidden Label.

Then it be possible to enumerate (WinList) all window containing this GUID.

What you think now about this feature request ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

You can easily do this yourself by modifying the UDF to add a suitable title to the notification when it is created:

; Create Notify slice with $WS_POPUPWINDOW style and $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $WS_EX_TOPMOST and $WS_EX_STATICEDGE extended style
Local $hNotify_Handle = GUICreate("Your_Special_String", $iNotify_Width, $iNotify_Height, $iNotify_X, $iNotify_Y, 0x80880000, BitOR(0x00020000, 0x00000080, 0x00000008))

Now you can use WinList to get the handles of every visible notification.

M23

Spoiler

I conducted some tests.
It seems that it will work, as I imagined it myself.
I'll do a little modification, can you like them, maybe not, we'll see.
For now, I only had a project in mind, now I have another task, as I return to the subject of notification in my projects, and I adopt your UDFa to my needs, I will share the results of work here.

Meanwhile, I have a plan, one hour of work, and go to sleep.
Greetings

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

Try this Beta and associated example and see if it does what you want:  

#include <Array.au3>

#include "Notify_Mod_GUID.au3"

; Set a GUID to use as the "title" of each notification (default is "")
$sGUID = "mLipok"

_Notify_Set(1, Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, $sGUID)

$nTask1 = TimerInit()
$nTask2 = TimerInit()
$nTask3 = TimerInit()

$iDelay1 = 1000 * Random(5, 10, 1)
$iDelay2 = 1000 * Random(5, 10, 1)
$iDelay3 = 1000 * Random(5, 10, 1)

While 1

If $nTask1 Then
            $nTask1 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 1", "Completed")

$aList = WinList($sGUID)
            _ArrayDisplay($aList, "Notifications", Default, 8)

EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask2 Then
            $nTask2 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 2", "Completed")

$aList = WinList($sGUID)

EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask3 Then
            $nTask3 = 0
            _Notify_Show(0, "Task 3", "Completed")

$aList = WinList($sGUID)

EndIf

EndIf

WEnd

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

M23

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

I could not resist, and I checked right away.
It works like a dream ;)

Thanks.

I'll make some additional functions, I hope in next week, and I'll share it here.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

[NEW VERSION] - 13 Jul 15

Added:

• A new function _Notify_Modify which allows you to change the colour, text and/or click setting of an existing notification.
  • A new $sGUID parameter for _Notify_Set to set the "title" of the notification GUI - this allows WinList to list all current notifications

New Example 2 shows these 2 additions working

New UDF in the zip in the first post.

M23

Spoiler

• 5 weeks later...

I'm basically looking to Modify the "Notify_Example_2"

I would like it to have the following behavior:

- The 3 Task should not just auto complete after 10 - 20 sec or so. Rather it should wait for me to click it. 

- Once clicked it dissepears and re-appears on a set time which I give each of the Task (for example after an hour it'll come back again until i click it)

And I would like this to loop forever until I close the script of course.

Thank you so much if anyone can step in and help :)

Edited by User751139

• Moderators

User751139,

This seems to do what you want:

#include <Array.au3>

#include "Notify.au3"

_Notify_RegMsg()

; Initialise task timers
Global $nTask1 = TimerInit()
Global $nTask2 = TimerInit()

; Set task delays
Global $iDelay1 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)
Global $iDelay2 = 1000 * Random(5, 20, 1)

; Display notifications
Global $sGUID = "Notify_UDF"
_Notify_Set(1, Default, 0xFFCCCC, Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, $sGUID)
Global $hNotify1 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 1", "Running")
Global $hNotify2 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 2", "Running")

_Notify_Set(1, Default, 0xCCCCFF)
Global $hNotify3 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 3", "Awaiting click")
; Declare the timestamp holder
Global $nNotify3Clicked = 0
; And the delay time
Global $iNotify3Delay = 5000

While 1

If $nTask1 Then
            $nTask1 = 0
            ; Recolour notification, change message text and set as "clickable"
            _Notify_Modify($hNotify1, Default, 0xCCFFCC, Default, "Completed", 1)
        EndIf

EndIf

If $nTask2 Then
            $nTask2 = 0
            ; Recolour, change message text and set as "clickable"
            _Notify_Modify($hNotify2, Default, 0xCCFFCC, Default, "Completed", 1)
        EndIf

EndIf

; If Notify3 has been clicked and no longer exists - and the timestamp has not already been set
    If Not WinExists($hNotify3) And $nNotify3Clicked = 0 Then
        ; Set the time stamp
        $nNotify3Clicked = TimerInit()
    EndIf

; If the time stamp is set
    If $nNotify3Clicked Then
        ; if the delay is passed
        If TimerDiff($nNotify3Clicked) > $iNotify3Delay Then
            ; Redisplay the notification
            $hNotify3 = _Notify_Show(0, "Task 3", "Awaiting click")
            ; And clear the timestamp
            $nNotify3Clicked = 0
        EndIf

EndIf

WEnd

Please ask if you have any questions.

M23

Spoiler

Perfect! I love you!! :)

Just one small request but I can live with out it - I'm using the Image tabs. Is it possible to make them smaller as I can only fit about 12 or so on my screen and i need to fit a few more.

Or even better if it was possible to have a 2nd row of the notifications! 

Thanks again and Awesome script! I'll be using this every day

Edited by User751139

• Melba23 changed the title to Notify - New version 17 Mar 22