Endless Loop

Newbie question here. :"> BTW, awesome product!

I am trying to write a script that will take a file with EDI transactions and parse it so that I can import it into Access. I have taken code from some examples on the forums and have gotten the script to do what I want, with the exception of separating individual UPCs into separate "transactions." I think I have that figured out; however, I have created an infinite loop in the script trying to accomplish this due to my lack of experience with scripting and loops. Code below is the script. I just added the While 2 loop (syntax may be wrong) and tried to run it. Wound up having to reboot. Any assistance is appreciated - I am sooo close I can taste it. :)

#include <GuiConstants.au3>
#include <file.au3>
GUICreate("EDI 812 Parser", 371, 161, (@DesktopWidth-371)/2, (@DesktopHeight-161)/2 , $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW + $WS_VISIBLE + $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS)

$Continue = GUICtrlCreateButton("Continue...", 10, 130, 90, 20,$BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON )

$Exit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 140, 130, 90, 20)

$About = GUICtrlCreateButton("About", 270, 130, 90, 20)

$Header = GUICtrlCreateLabel("EDI 812 Parse Utility", 10, 0, 350, 40)

GUICtrlSetFont(-1,25)
GUISetState()

Dim $YEAR = @YEAR
Dim $MON = @MON
Dim $MDAY = @MDAY
Dim $MIN = @MIN
Dim $File

;Open Word to perform first part of script
Run("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)

; Wait for the Word to become active
WinWaitActive("Document1 - Microsoft Word")

;initialize "Open" dialog
Send("!fo")

;Wait for the window "Open" to not exist
WinWaitClose("Open")

$Title = WinGetTitle("")
$FName = StringInStr($Title," - Microsoft Word")
$NFile = StringLeft($Title,$FName)
;initialize macro to replace CRLFs
Send("^8")

ProcessWaitClose("WINWORD.EXE")

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg=$Continue
            GUISetState(@SW_SHOW,"EDI 812 Parser")

Dim $TxnStrt,$CRChg,$StarChg,$BoxChg
            If $CmdLine[0] = 1 Then
                $file = $CmdLine[1]
            Else
;               $file = FileOpenDialog("Open...", "C:\DATA\EDI", "All Files (*.*)", 1 + 2)
        $file = $NFile
            EndIf
            If @error Then Exit
            $linenum = _FileCountLines($file)
            $tempfile = "C:\DATA\EDI\TEMP-Parse.au3"
            $filetemp = "C:\DATA\EDI\TEMP-file.au3"
            _FileCreate($tempfile)
            _FileCreate($filetemp)

While 1
              ProgressOn("EDI Parser", "0% completed.  Working...", "0 lines out of " & $linenum & " processed.",326,326, 16)
                WinActivate("EDI Parser","0% completed.  Working...")
                For $i = 1 To $linenum
                    $line = FileReadLine($file, $i)
                    If @error = -1 Then 
                        ExitLoop
                    Else
        $Text = StringReplace(StringReplace(StringReplace($line, "ST*812", @CRLF&"ST812"), "*", "@"), "", "@") 
                            FileWriteLine($tempfile, $Text)
                    EndIf

$per = Round(100 * $i / $linenum, 0)

ProgressSet($per, $i & " lines out of " & $linenum & " processed.", $per & "% completed.  Working...")

Next

ProgressSet("100",$linenum&" lines processed.", "100% completed.")
                Sleep(500)
                ProgressOff()

WEnd
;Replace UPC indicators with transaction-specific info and break into separate transactions
            While 2
            $numlines = _FileCountLines($tempfile)
             ProgressOn("EDI Parser", "0% completed.  Working...", "0 lines out of " & $numlines & " processed.",326,326, 16)
                WinActivate("EDI Parser","0% completed.  Working...")
                For $i = 1 To $numlines
                    $tmpline = FileReadLine($tempfile, $i)
                    If @error = -1 Then 
                        ExitLoop
                    Else
            $chgText = StringReplace($tmpline, "@CDD", StringLeft($tmpline,STringInStr($tmpline,"@CDD","",1)))
                            FileWriteLine($filetemp, $chgText)
                    EndIf

$per = Round(100 * $i / $linenum, 0)

ProgressSet($per, $i & " lines out of " & $linenum & " processed.", $per & "% completed.  Working...")

Next

ProgressSet("100",$linenum&" lines processed.", "100% completed.")
                Sleep(500)
                ProgressOff()

MsgBox(0, "DONE!", "Processing Complete!")

$newfile=FileSaveDialog("Save edited file as...","C:\DATA\EDI","Text Files (*.txt)",16,"REV-"&$file)
                FileCopy($filetemp,$newfile,1)
                Exit
            WEnd

Case $msg=$About
            MsgBox(8256,"About","EDI Parser v2" & @CRLF & "By Kolin Paulk and"& @CRLF &"Jim Raleigh" & @CRLF & "Friday, July 15, 2005")
        Case $msg=$Exit
            Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

hm very confusing and a bat style with your wends in the wend and select case... i think while wend loops do't work, if you got an select case running... you should have to take an endselect before the 2nd while and after the last you have to make a new select...

hm very confusing and a bat style with your wends in the wend and select case... i think while wend loops do't work, if you got an select case running... you should have to take an endselect before the 2nd while and after the last you have to make a new select...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure using Selects and Whiles are the correct way to go about this either. I was able to get the first two parts to work (edit in Word and then run the first find/replace to replace the delimiters) but could not figure out how to break multiple-UPC invoices into separate records. Then I thought that Autoit should be able to accomplish this based on how it searches strings :evil: .

However, I can't find anything on how to run multiple scripts in sequence. I*think* that there must be some way to do it, but I am currently WAY over my head. Any direction would be appreciated.

I tried putting another Select on the second loop, but the error message stated that the End Select I put there could not find the Select. :) Do I just need to create an additional script, or is there some way to ensure the sequential nature of this? Do I have the temp files created in the right places? Is that second search and replace function going to work? (I need to break it out separately to test, I imagine).

My head is spinning :D , but there has to be some way to do this.

make each 'while/wend' loop (the code between that is) a separate function.

the first function would have to Return before the second function is called.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D:lol::):):evil:

You folks are GREAT!!!!

By Jove, I do believe I've got it!

Need to test it on a larger file (we receive roughly 3,000 invoices per week), but it looks like it is going to work.

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

:D:D:mad::D

• 2 weeks later...

make each 'while/wend' loop (the code between that is) a separate function.

the first function would have to Return before the second function is called.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One last BASIC question....

Everything seems to be working now. However, I have put the following If into the script to skip the transaction batch headers and footers:

For $i = 1 To $numlines
                    If @error = -1 Then 
                        ExitLoop
        ElseIf StringLeft($tmpline,5) = "ISA00" OR StringLeft($tmpline,4) = "IEA@" then
        $i=$i+1
                    Else

My qusestion is, does the $i=$i+1 go to the NEXT line, or SKIP the next line? Everything else seems to be working. Thanks for your help.

One last BASIC question....

Everything seems to be working now.  However, I have put the following If into the script to skip the transaction batch headers and footers:

For $i = 1 To $numlines
                    If @error = -1 Then 
                        ExitLoop
        $i=$i+1
                    Else

My qusestion is, does the $i=$i+1 go to the NEXT line, or SKIP the next line? Everything else seems to be working.  Thanks for your help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rather than

$i=$i+1

you may want to
     ContinueLoop
                    Else
Edited by cameronsdad

rather than  you may want to

ContinueLoop
                    Else

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did not realize there was a ContinueLoop command. I will try that. Thanks!

After you get all of this working - lets change it all around and break it :-)

Seriously, there are a few questions that I debated asking about:

What format is the info in when you start? Are you opening a text file in Word or is it a Word doc file format to start with?

If it is text - then you should be able to perform this:

";initialize macro to replace CRLFs" within AutoIt without Word.

If the info that you start with is already a Word doc, then there might be a way to perfrom that same step without opening Word - but might not be worth changing your working code for that gain.

...and another thing :-)

If you stick with using Word, consider this one minor change to this section of your code:

Send("!fo")

;Wait for the window "Open" to exist

WinWait("Open")

WinWaitClose("Open")

The help file for WinWaitClose states, "The window is polled every 250 milliseconds or so". I'm not sure that the just having the two lines that you had will always work for you... I might not fully understand the WinWaitClose function, but it seems to me that it is possible for a delay to occur on some computers that might cause the "Open" dialog box to not appear soon enough. In that case, the script might evaluate the "non-existance" of the "Open" dialog box and proceed before the "Open" dialog box ever existed.

clear as mud?

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

After you get all of this working - lets change it all around and break it :-)

Yeah-Yeah. Cool. :D I need to break it anyway because I am having problems... :)

Seriously, there are a few questions that I debated asking about:

What format is the info in when you start? Are you opening a text file in Word or is it a Word doc file format to start with?

file is a raw extract of EDI812 information. file comes through with hard line breaks at the end of each line that I cannot get rid of. I tried ASCII, @CR, @LF, @CRLF, Char(), Chr(). Frustrating.

If it is text - then you should be able to perform this:

";initialize macro to replace CRLFs" within AutoIt without Word.

If the info that you start with is already a Word doc, then there might be a way to perfrom that same step without opening Word - but might not be worth changing your working code for that gain.

willing to do that if I could figure out how to do it...

...and another thing :-)

If you stick with using Word, consider this one minor change to this section of your code:

Send("!fo")

;Wait for the window "Open" to exist

WinWait("Open")

WinWaitClose("Open")

The help file for WinWaitClose states, "The window is polled every 250 milliseconds or so". I'm not sure that the just having the two lines that you had will always work for you... I might not fully understand the WinWaitClose function, but it seems to me that it is possible for a delay to occur on some computers that might cause the "Open" dialog box to not appear soon enough. In that case, the script might evaluate the "non-existance" of the "Open" dialog box and proceed before the "Open" dialog box ever existed.

clear as mud?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having issues with passing macro keys, as well as passing filename to the next function. I will have to post the script when I get back to my work computer. There is most likely a better solution, but I had to at least prove that the concept (parsing EDI transactions into a relational format for the purpose of loading a database) was viable. Now that I know that it is, and that a simple sales guy proved the point :evil: , it will make it easier to justify leveraging IT resources against the project.

Thanks for y'alls' help. I can't say enough that this is a NEAT tool! :D

...file is a raw extract of EDI812 information.  file comes through with hard line breaks at the end of each line that I cannot get rid of.  I tried ASCII, @CR, @LF, @CRLF, Char(), Chr()...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Manually open the file in Word without running the marco against it. Go to File > Properties > General tab and tell me what Word thinks the file type is.

If the file type is "Plain Text document...", then take a look at FileReadLine in the AutoIt3 help file and the sample script at the bottom of that page. Also note the remarks:

Returns the text of the line read, any newline characters ( CHR(10) or @LF ) at the end of a line read in are automatically stripped.

As for my comment about editing a word doc without opening it. I could not locate that post - but I know it is out there somewhere.

later...

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]