sending and receiving sound by audio output

If you said volume (amplitude) or frequency I might understand this. There are several audio/sound UDFs on this forum and you can use Beep() or DSBeep() by trancexx to play a certain frequency. As for receiving sounds I'm not sure. It might be easier to automate some third party audio application, but I'm still not sure exactly what you want to do.

Edited by czardas

If you test the output, there is a voltage.

If you test the sound of the calculator, there is a voltage.

What I want is to reproduce the sound sent by the calculator exactly the same (power, frequence, voltage...)

I was asking if it was possible using autoit.

Second question : with the audio output (which is normally used to give the sound to speakers), can we receive sound as it was a audio in put ? (so I do sound --> audio output and sound <-- audio output)

Thanks for answer and please give examples using autoit.

This is a completely clueless way of trying to do what you want. That you post this nonsense here or on the French forum makes no difference.

An output is, well, an OUTPUT, not an INPUT.

It's comparable to you saying that you need your keyboard to display what you type, or your display to scan documents.

Use one serial port to read/transmit binary data. Use simple glue components if needed to raise/lower the signal and clamp it to ground. RS232 voltage levels and current capabilities are certainly enough for this application. I've no idea about TI data link Baud rate, but a serial port will happilly transmit/receive at more than 200 kBd while an audio port (input OR output) will never reach 20 kHz and never at constant power.

Or better yet, crank up 20 € or so and buy a genuine, proven, guaranted TI <--> PC USB link which comes with its reliable software.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

hey,

"An output is, well, an OUTPUT, not an INPUT" < -- I'm not sure it's physically impossible. For example a generator can be used as a motor. Here, maybe you can use the output one for input, I've heard somewhere that it might be possible.

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking if it's really possible.

Don't say I'm stupid 'cause of your lack of acknowledge, I've programmed with assembly, I know how a computer works.

For info, the calculator uses a voltage of 3.3 volts and the computer 5 volts. The calculator accepts to receive a 3.3 voltage : it recognizes it even with 3.0 volts. For the computer, I hope this doesn't break the input but I think it can handle a higher tension. (5 volts --> 3.3 volts capacity).

"Or better yet, crank up 20 € or so and buy a genuine, proven, guaranted TI <--> PC USB link which comes with its reliable software." I think my program will save the money at least of 4000 guys, so 25 * 4000 = 100.000 €

yeah, you're right, that's not much...

"RS232" <-- what I want is to do a stuff that everybody can do easily and for free (you just need some materials that you can get easily looking in your trash.

Can anyone give me an example of receiving stuff using the output audio ?

"This is a completely clueless way of trying to do what you want" <-- you should think on what I'm trying to say instead of saying "you stupid noob, I know more than you"

see you

I suppose it would not be impossible to design an audio amplifier that could detect input signals at the output, but it's unlikely and I can't imagine why anybody would do it that way... certainly not on a mass produced computer sound card.

In its most simplistic terms, your audio output takes a low level signal, and applies that signal to the gate of an output transistor which then modulates the higher voltage output current. There's no way to detect an externally impressed voltage at the transistor unless there's a feedback circuit... there may well be such a feedback circuit internal to the sound card, but providing an output of that voltage for monitoring would not be too useful except perhaps in high end audiophile equipment where audio geeks want to monitor everything... again, not likely on a consumer computer sound card.

To the first question, the actual output voltage will vary depending on the rated output power of the sound card... I doubt very much you can control it directly.

"An output is, well, an OUTPUT, not an INPUT" < -- I'm not sure it's physically impossible.

I would never pretend it's physically impossible. I just say that the PC's hardware is not made this way.

I've heard somewhere that it might be possible.

Why not ask there?

I've programmed with assembly, I know how a computer works.

No you don't.

For info, the calculator uses a voltage of 3.3 volts and the computer 5 volts.

Onother nonsense. A PC uses a number of voltages. A typical RS232 port outputs signal in the ± 9 to 12 V. Some atypical ports were driven only to some positive rail, some even 0..+5V, but this was before the advent of low-cost integrated converters found on any stock PC today, most of them integrated deep in the chipset.

The calculator accepts to receive a 3.3 voltage : it recognizes it even with 3.0 volts. For the computer, I hope this doesn't break the input but I think it can handle a higher tension. (5 volts --> 3.3 volts capacity).

So use a 3.3 <--> V24 signal converter and you're safe both sides!

"RS232" <-- what I want is to do a stuff that everybody can do easily and for free (you just need some materials that you can get easily looking in your trash.

That's more or less what you should do if you regard "mass production", but not try to [ab]use an unreliable audio output as "input"! Fetch specifications of the TI port(s) interface and protocol, inform yourself about the possibility of making your low-cost RS232 or USB adapter. I'm sure that can be made for really cheap, but not for free by gluing parts found in anyone's drawer garbage.

Can anyone give me an example of receiving stuff using the output audio ?

No, once again because the standard PC audio output has no input feedback, PERIOD.

Anyway as already mentionned, an audio port isn't going to offer the required bandwidth.

"This is a completely clueless way of trying to do what you want" <-- you should think on what I'm trying to say instead of saying "you stupid noob, I know more than you"

You've been already told by a significant number of distinct people that was not possible using typical PC hardware. You managed to get your thread closed on the french forum because of your repeated insistance, yet you keep on doing it here?

Will you start a comparable thread here about how easy it would be to make AutoIt multithreaded "just by taking care of global variables" as you once said it is? If so I whish you best of luck!

And yes I hereby confirm that you repeatedly behave like a stupid noob and that more people than you think indeed know much, really much better than you do. I'm not interested in a "mine is bigger than yours" argument. Simply try to read and understand what people say.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

"So use a 3.3 <--> V24 signal converter and you're safe both sides!" <-- learn to read, I've already said I want this to be accessible to anyone WITHOUT buying anything.

"No you don't." <-- I hope you program with asm x86 or another assembly to say that. Otherwise, you re mind me that franch fable : la grenouille qui veut se faire aussi grosse que le boeuf...

You say I'm a noob 'cause I've ideas, improvements, and you say "it's so, we won't change it" . Stay on your position, guys like you make the world stay crap.

*click* (for me).

pssst, he's telling you he's done dealing with you and you're on your own from now on.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

As for your output being used as an input. In short, no. However, the sound from an output can be routed back into the input of the same sound card. This is acheived with a full duplex sound card. I think what you're asking is how can you take a sound of a certain level and have it output the same regardless of what volume settings and amplifier ratings and speakers and rooms and ears of each individual user?

Yes also, but yet, but now, the voltage does not matter since all sounds cards are differents and only a few of them have the capacity to change the output voltage.

Do I have to add a resistance to avoid breaking my computer or there is no risk ?

(the topic is marked as "hot" :-° )

Hi lesolutionneur,

You're not explaining your issue very well. No offense.

From what I can glean from your post, you want to control the volume of multiple computers from one main computer?

* Outline "in detail" what it is you are trying to achieve, so people can better assist you.

* It's possible to use server/client scripts to do this. Look in the Examples Forum.

* Controlling volume the way you propose with voltage is not the proper way.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Please give me an example of playing a sound but this have to be very very very fast, every millisecond counts.

Please show me how to monitor the input audio to check if we find the sound x.mp3/wav/aud/WhatYouWant in the incoming signal

Thanks

Please explain what you are trying to achieve.

What is the end result?

The more detail you provide - the better someone can assist you.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward