Search For String In .txt Files

**Sorry about that.. Accidentally pressed Enter ^^'**

So anyway, I would like to create a script that searches a String in a number of text files.

All of the txt files are located int he same directory.

I've built everything, including GUI.. All I need is the way to search in a file.

I've looked at "FileOpen" and stuff like that, but they need a specific file name to open.

I need the program to scan the whole folder for all of the files, and search in all of them.

**You probably don't need this, but just so you can see I actually did something and not

asking you to write it for me :)

#include <File.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$OmgaSearch = GUICreate("Omga Searcher", 258, 203, 190, 122)
$Directory_Label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Directory", 72, 24, 46, 17)
$Search_For_Label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Search For", 72, 80, 56, 17)
$Directory_Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 36, 40, 121, 21)
$Search_For_Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 36, 96, 121, 21)
$Browse_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Browse..", 160, 37, 75, 25)
$Start_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start!", 88, 152, 75, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###
While 1
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
  Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
   Exit
  Case $Browse_Button
   $Browse_Directory = FileSelectFolder("Open", "My Computer")
   GUICtrlSetData($Directory_Input,$Browse_Directory)
   $Browse_Directory_Text = GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input, 1) & ""
   $Files_FileList = _FileListToArray($Browse_Directory_Text)
   GUICtrlRead($Browse_Directory_Text, 1)

Case $Start_Button
   $Browse_Directory_Text = GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input, 1)
   If $Browse_Directory_Text = "" Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error!", "Moron.. You have to select a directory first!")
   EndIf

$Search_For_Text = GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input, 1)
   If $Browse_Directory_Text = "" Then
    ;
   Else
    MsgBox(0, "Error!", "What in the world am I going to search for?!")
   EndIf

$Files_FileList = _FileListToArray($Browse_Directory_Text)
   For $i = 1 to $Files_FileList[0]
    $Search = ???
   Next

EndSwitch
WEnd

Thank you!! ;)

Edited by Omga4000

Look at

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thank you guys, I will try that :)

I totally forgot about the second part though.

After it finds the string in the txt file, can I export a list saying

exactly in which file does this string exist?

For example:

I have 3 files with the Following text in them:

1) Kfir Something

2) Wrong Something

3) bla bla bla

I want to search the files for the string "Something" (and as we know, files 1 and 2 has that string in them).

After he finds them, can he tell me in which files did he find them?

Thanks again ;)

Thank you guys, I will try that :)

I totally forgot about the second part though.

After it finds the string in the txt file, can I export a list saying

exactly in which file does this string exist?

For example:

I have 3 files with the Following text in them:

1) Kfir Something

2) Wrong Something

3) bla bla bla

I want to search the files for the string "Something" (and as we know, files 1 and 2 has that string in them).

After he finds them, can he tell me in which files did he find them?

Thanks again ;)

You should create an Array and put the filename if it satisfies your condition (contains "Something")

Follow the link I gave you previously and try this

#include <Array.au3>

Global $aArray, $iBegin

$iBegin = TimerInit()
$aArray = _FindInFile("something", @ScriptDir, "*.txt") ; Search for 'something' within the @ScriptDir and only in .txt files.
ConsoleWrite(Round(TimerDiff($iBegin) / 1000, 2) & " (Seconds)" & @CRLF)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I'm sorry guinness, you're just too smart for me :)

I tried figuering out your code but I didn't get it..

Since I'm using a GUI, the user should enter the path and string without touching the code iteself.

Is that possible using your (extremely complicated) code?

You have to download the UDF first (see previous link) then using the code I gave above place this where the user selects the Start Button e.g.

Case $Start_Button
            $aArray = _FindInFile(GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input), GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input), "*.txt")
            If Not @error Then
                For $i = 1 To $aArray[0]
                    ConsoleWrite("File Found >> " & $aArray[$i] & @LF)
                Next
            EndIf

UDF List:

Thank you! Works great!!

This is the script if anyone needs it :)

Just 1 last thing.

Let's say that I have 3 files with the following strings in them:

1) Kfir

2) Kfir Is

3) Kfir Is Very

If I search for "Kfir Is Very", it will tell me that file number 1, number 2 and number 3 contains it.

Why is that? And how do I change it?

Edited by Omga4000

Change the case sensitive parameter to 1 and see what that does.

UDF List:

Did you mean change this?

$iCaseSensitive = 1

If so, then it didn't work.

Also - how can I add more file extensions besides .txt?

I've looked at this:

$aArray = _FindInFile(GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input), GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input), "*.txt")

and was able to change ".txt" to whatever I wished, But I wasn't able to add multiple extensions (For example .txt AND .log)

Please read the UDF header it clearly explains how to use multiple file-types i.e. *.txt;*.au3;*.cfg.

Did you mean change this?

If you changed the value inside the UDF then it wouldn't work. Try this, see how we use recursive searching (therefore look in subfolders too) and changed the case sensitivity >>

$aArray = _FindInFile(GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input), GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input), "*.txt", 1, 1)

UDF List:

I'm sorry but I have no idea what a UDF is..

Is it all of the text that the program disregards? (The green text)

Managed to change it so that the program can read both .txt and .log.. Thanks :)

$aArray = _FindInFile(GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input), GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input), "*.txt;*.log", 1, 1)

That's my new code line and it didn't work..

Got any other idea how to force him into searching a whole sentence and not word by word?

Edited by Omga4000

I'm sorry but I have no idea what a UDF is..

This gives you an idea of what a UDF is or a user defined function >> http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/UDF-spec and correct the header is basically the large block of text in green.

Got any other idea how to force him into searching a whole sentence and not word by word?

I just had a look at findstr and my fault for misguiding you, try this instead >>

Note: It now searches the string as a literal string. Perhaps I should update the UDF to incorporate this addition as well.

$aArray = _FindInFile("/C:" & GUICtrlRead($Search_For_Input), GUICtrlRead($Directory_Input), "*.txt;*.log", 1, 1)

Edit: I will let you know when I've updated as I have a couple of speed enhancements to include too.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Thanks for explaining me what does UDF mean, Though I still didn't quire get it.

Nice, Works perfectly! :)

I obviously didn't underd why does "/C:" fixes the problem, and I'd love an explanation.

Now the only problem I have is with the log file.

I use this:

_FileWriteLog($Save_Log_Text & "Log.txt" ,$aArray[$i])

This creates a long and unnecessary string of information (Including Date, Time and a Full Path)

Basically all I need if to write the file name (without the full path).

I don't think there's a way to change it since this is an integrated function in AutoIt.

Got any idea how to write the file name only?

I obviously didn't underd why does "/C:" fixes the problem, and I'd love an explanation.

Because searching "I am here" will search for "I" or "am" or "here" whereas using /C: tells findstr to count this as a 'literal string' so search for "I am here"

I don't think there's a way to change it since this is an integrated function in AutoIt.

It's not integrated this is a UDF function, so basically a custom function that can be called. I think what you're looking for is just using FileWrite() and the function below >>

Func _GetFilename($sFileName)
Return StringRegExpReplace($sFileName, "^.*", "")
EndFunc ;==>_GetFilename
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I would advise you to read the Help file about functions as this can solve minor issues such as this, secondly use SciTE4AutoIt3 (do a search) as this would've told you the problem with that line.

FileWrite($sLogFile, _GetFilename("C:FullPathExample.txt"))

UDF List:

You're welcome.

UDF List: