Does AutoIt have a "RegisterTick" event method?

ame1011

Explain what it is you're trying to accomplish, and maybe someone can actually figure out what you're trying to say. What you asked was if AutoIt can run some other code whenever it executes a line of code in the script if I'm getting what you said right. Frankly, that doesn't seem to make much sense as written.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

I know PHP has a register_tick feature, which allows you to call a function for each CPU tick, but I can't figure why you'd want a script to do that. The closest I would think you could come is some AdLibRegister call that always returns True (and thus executes every 250ms).

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

We use a script that I created at work that runs overnight on several virtual machines.

The issue is that if the internet "flickers" or is temporarily disconnected in the middle of the script, the program crashes with an object error.

I have created a custom event handler for the IE automation library to combat this.

However, in order to check the error flag, I would have to add an "if" statement or a function after every object-related call to check or errors.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of object actions and adding a line of code after each one seems "clunky".

Consider the following code:

Global $oIE = _IECreate("Google.com", 0, 1, 1, 1)
_IEErrorHandlerRegister("_IEErrorHandler")
$result = main()
if $result == "" Then
ConsoleWrite("success" & @CRLF)
Else
ConsoleWrite("failed at step: " & $result & @CRLF)
EndIf

func main()
if step1() == false then return "1"
if step2() == false then return "2"
if step3() == false then return "3"
if step4() == false then return "4"
if step5() == false then return "5"
if step6() == false then return "6"
if step7() == false then return "7"
if step8() == false then return "8"
if step9() == false then return "9"
if step10() == false then return "10"
return True
EndFunc
;example step
func step2()
;throughout this function there are error checks that return false if the step failed
;if step has not errors until the end, it succeeded and returns true
$oIE.document.action1
$oIE.document.action2
$oIE.document.action3
$oIE.document.action4
$oIE.document.action5
;...
$oIE.document.action100
return True
EndFunc
func _IEErrorHandler()
; do something on oIE errors
EndFunc

Let's say there is a COM object error for IE on line 35 ("$oIE.document.action3").

How do I make the script return false on step2() immediately without putting an if statement after each one of those 100 actions (note that each action can have a COM object failure).

[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]

If it were me, I'd probably put code in my error handler function to ensure that the internet is connected

and $oIE is an object, however your function still would not return false immediately but you could set a

global error flag and return false at the end of the function.

You might think if statements are clunky, but if you want a robust script you should consider them.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Consider using == only for case sensitive string comparision. Also, your comment for step2() says that a false is returned upon error but I'm not seeing it. Consider returning something else other than True on sucess because 1 and true are the same.

Here is some more accurate based on what you gave us.

#include <IE.au3>

Global $oIE = _IECreate("Google.com", 0, 1, 1, 1)

If @error Then Exit -2

_IEErrorHandlerRegister("_IEErrorHandler")

Global $result = main()

If $result = True Then
    ConsoleWrite("success" & @CRLF)
Else
    ConsoleWrite("failed at step: " & $result & @CRLF)
EndIf

Func main()
    If Not step1() Then Return 1
    If Not step2() Then Return 2
    If Not step3() Then Return 3
    If Not step4() Then Return 4
    If Not step5() Then Return 5
    If Not step6() Then Return 6
    If Not step7() Then Return 7
    If Not step8() Then Return 8
    If Not step9() Then Return 9
    If Not step10() Then Return 10
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>main

;example step
Func step2()
    ;throughout this function there are error checks that return false if the step failed
    ;if step has not errors until the end, it succeeded and returns true
    $oIE.document.action1
    $oIE.document.action2
    $oIE.document.action3
    $oIE.document.action4
    $oIE.document.action5
    ;...
    $oIE.document.action100
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>step2

Func _IEErrorHandler()
    ; do something on oIE errors
EndFunc   ;==>_IEErrorHandler
Edited by LaCastiglione

Or perhaps

If Not step1() Then Return SetError(1,1,0)

If Not step2() Then Return SetError(1,2,0)

If Not step3() Then Return SetError(1,3,0)

etc...

Return 1

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Take a look at the code in by Water that shows a custom error handler for object errors and how they can be handled safely.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator