Support for ARM on Win 8?

Not sure where to put this...

Will AutoIt support ARM processor based systems on Win 8?

I'm not experienced in programming on ARM (or much on x86), so I'm not sure how to do it or whether it's already supported, but wIth upcoming Win 8 planned to run on both x86 and ARM platforms, I'd like to run scripts on both platforms. Of course, we haven't got public access to Win 8 or ARM systems to run it, so I am asking about plans to support it.

Can anyone provide any feedback, or where to ask?

Thanks for your help.

AutoIt runs on Windows, if the Windows version that runs on the ARM processors works the same as the WinTel versions, and Windows 8 doesn't break anything with AutoIt, then it should work.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm unsure an ARM will ever come to life any time soon. Same for PPC and other possible "exotic" platforms.

Of course I'm not in the Dev circles and can't put words in their mouth, but realize this would require a completely distinct build process and deep testing on a platform where no version of AutoIt ever run.

Providing a release version for Win 8 also will require the review of all standard UDFs as it appears that many system behavior are likely to change significantly when Win 8 gets final.

So, for me and as informed as I may be, Win 8 AutoIt is certainly not in sight and ARM AutoIt is even much further. Hold your breath at your own risk.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I do have access to Windows On ARM (WOA), and an ARM box, but unfortunately AutoIt does not work on WOA. WOA is 32-bit, but it is an entirely different animal than x86. It appears we need an AutoIt ARM compiler and there does not appear to be one forthcoming. Perhaps you might put in a feature request to the authors here. I've tried myself, but I don't seem to be correctly expressing my request. Please tell me if you have better luck. FWIW, I'm porting apps to VB scripts for both WOA OS and WinPE in the interim. Good luck.

Rick...

You might also want to take at look at the list of "Things Not to Ask For" in TRAC.

That includes support for anything other than the standard windows operating systems. Which of course excludes CE, PE, WOA, Linux, Apple and any others you can think of.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

In point fact I did read what you are referring to and did not see WOA listed. I don't know how familar you are with it, but WOA IS (or will be shortly, not publically released yet) a standard Windows operating system. It installs, run and looks just like any x86/x64 Windows versions. Consequently, I don't understand why this would be considered any different from an x86 or x64 based Windows OS? FWIW, (as you may already know) AutoIt works fine (less any unsupported APIs) under the respective x86 or x64 versions of WinPE also. If you know different though, I guess I'll stop asking. Thanks anyway.

Rick...

Supporting Windows on ARM would/will require the same effort as supporting Windows on Mips, PPC, Alpha, Itanic ahem! Itanium and other non x86/x64 platforms, all of them have [had] some "standard" (your word) Windows version available.

Due to probable future raise in need to support Win8 tablets running on ARM it's concievable that the Devs could someday in far future consider investing huge time in porting to ARM and even more time testing the huge set of UDFs and (before that) clone the whole AutoIt build process code base (there's much more than AutoIt C++ core in it), but this is not going to happen anytime soon.

Again I ain't the Dev's spokeperson but realize it won't be an easy decision. Don't forget that MS aims to support SOC (system on chip) for Texas, Qualcom, AMD, Intel, Nvidia and probably other founders. So in the real world, an ideally planned move to support WOA would require to support WOC (Windows on Chip) from every vendor entering this market in the near future.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I would have been surprised if there was a ARM compiler already. I was merely trying to gauge interest. MS has VSS tools available, but since I have a substantial presence in WinPE IMHO, nothing beats AutoIt for compactness and simplicity. In fact they've now added .Net support into WinPE so there are other solutions, just none as elegant as this.

Thanks,

Rick...

• 10 years later...

I would like to resurrect this thread from the dead, now that Windows on Arm is becoming a real thing. 

My AutoIT executable run fine (as far as I can tell) on the full version of Windows on ARM (Surface Pro X, Parallels VM) and I got the core working on WinPE 11 on ARM (AutoIT compiled as x64) but I have not managed yet to launch any command line executables in WInPE on ARM from AutoIT.

AutoIT executables compiled for x64 do not run by default but adding xtajit64.dll and some others to enable x64 software emulation fixes that. However, a RUN (@comspec&" /") will not launch a command prompt and any other attempt to launch command line executables also fails (i.e. diskpart, dism, etc.).

ProcMonx64 shows no missing DLLs but a bunch of registry hives show NAME NOT FOUND.

Anybody out here to is playing with this also?