MsgBox parameter checker?

Melba23, Thats an excellent little step by step for adding your own toys to Scite. Im saving that post for anyone in the future who asks. ;)

emendelson, I came up with one other possible method for you. Here's a msgbox function that works the same as the built in one, only it will adjust the flag to the correct value if you make a mistake. :)

$ret = _MsgBox(4095, 'Test', 'Always a Valid Flag')
ConsoleWrite($ret & @LF)

Func _MsgBox($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeout = Default, $Hwnd = Default)

If Not _VerifyMsgBoxFlag($iFlag) Then
          ;check if off by 1 number in either direction
          $iFlag += 1
          If Not _VerifyMsgBoxFlag($iFlag) Then $iFlag -= 2
          ;if still no good then increase flag until we hit a valid one
          While Not _VerifyMsgBoxFlag($iFlag)
               $iFlag += 1
               ;safeguard to prevent a possible infinite loop (799669=all flags added)
               If $iFlag = 799669 Then $iFlag = 0
          WEnd
     EndIf

Return MsgBox($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeout, $Hwnd)

EndFunc

Func _VerifyMsgBoxFlag($iFlag)

Static Local $aValid = StringSplit('1,2,3,4,5,6,16,32,48,64,256,512,4096,8192,262144,524288', ',')
     Local $iBackup = $iFlag

;For each valid flag, subtract it from the original flag
     ;if its a combination of valid flags the end value should be 0
     For $i = 1 To $aValid[0]
          If BitAND($iFlag, $aValid[$i]) Then $iFlag -= $aValid[$i]
     Next

If Not $iFlag Then
          ;but heres an exception, your flag includes 1+2+4. These are all valid flags, but conflict with each other
          If BitAND(1, $iBackup) And BitAND(2, $iBackup) And BitAND(4, $iBackup) Then Return False
          ;otherwise its ok
          Return True
     Else
          ;Flag is positive so its invalid
          Return False
     EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>_VerifyMsgBoxFlag
Edited by Beege

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guinness, I think that last part would need to an Else statement, otherwise it just gets written over.

Don't know how I missed that. Thanks. (Updated my post.)

Following on from what Melba posted I too created some code to automate the process of finding the latest command and adding to SciTE directly.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I like your previous update of _MsgBox too.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Thanks. I'm certainly not going to ask, but I kinda wish the real msgbox function did something like this rather than do nothing.

• Moderators

Beege,

I am almost certain of the answer you would get: "It is the user's responsibility to make sure that parameters are valid and in the correct order." :)

And I can sympathise with that point of view. Can you imagine the reduction in speed if every AutoIt function was checked at run-time for the validity of the parameters? It would hardly be worth installing. At least we have Au3Check to give the code a pretty good once-over - it has helped me more times than I care to remember. ;)

M23

P.S. Glad you like the "adding to SciTE" post - I will add it as a Wiki tutorial. ;)

Edited by Melba23
Added P.S.

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I am almost certain of the answer you would get: "It is the user's responsibility to make sure that parameters are valid and in the correct order." ;)

And how much "hand holding" should there be in AutoIt? :)

UDF List:

I am almost certain of the answer you would get: "It is the user's responsibility to make sure that parameters are valid and in the correct order." :D

Oh I'm certain your right! Thats why I added how I'm certainly not going to ask for it. :D

At least we have Au3Check to give the code a pretty good once-over - it has helped me more times than I care to remember. :D

Oh ya! For me its more like thank god for Au3Check. I shutter to even think about life with out it. I'm probably looking at 1/5 runs. Those :) parentheses. ;) ;) :)

P.S. Glad you like the "adding to SciTE" post - I will add it as a Wiki tutorial. :D

Alright! Good idea :D

Thank you again - this time for the tutorial on adding the code to SciTE, and also for the _MsgBox function.

One reason I asked for this is that most of my MsgBoxes have six-digit numbers for their first parameter, and errors aren't exactly obvious when I look at them. The only way I found the mistake was by going through thirty or forty backup versions saved by SciTE until I found a backup version that worked correctly, and then I used a word-processor to compare the two versions and that let me see where I had changed a number incorrectly. This will be a lot more effective!

• Moderators

emendelson,

I always show the various style values added (i.e. 4 + 16 + 262144) rather than use a single value - at least when developing. Makes the odd wrong digit stand out a bit better. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

emendelson

If your using similar styles throught the code then make them into a variable

$MsgBoxStyle1 = 4 + 16 + 262144

then you set it once and let the code do the rest, and 5 msgbox styles will be easier to watch than lots of msgboxes

Magic numbers are evil :)

You should be using variables if you're using the same number a lot, like Chimaera said above.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

A question for Melba23:

If I want to add Guinness's code (in message #14) to SciTE, I've got one problem I don't know how to solve. As you see from the code, it requires me to enter the name of a script in this line:

Global $aArray = _CheckMsgBox("Example.au3")

But of course if I compile it, I will only be able to check "Example.au3" with the compiled version.

Is there a parameter that I should use in place of "Example.au3" that will let SciTe use the code to test the currently-opened file?

Thanks again for your help on this, and I apologize for asking for more!

I think the command in Scite would need to be:

command.35.$(au3)="$(SciteDefaultHome)SciTE UtilsUtility.exe" "$(FilePath)"

Then in AutoIt:

Global $aArray = _CheckMsgBox($CMDLINE[1])

Edited by Beege

Thanks again: with Beege's revision to Melba23's instructions, I was able to add a MsgBox Checker to my SciTE Tools menu. This is ideal.

One suggestion for any instructions posted on the wiki: When I opened the User Options File, it was completely blank - it didn't have the lines that Melba23 told me to look for. So I simply pasted in the commands that Melba23 said to paste in (with Beege's revision), and it worked perfectly. So it might be worth mentioning that it's OK if the file is completely blank.

This is very good to know. Many thanks!

Edited by emendelson

I'll update my previous code for those who follow in your footsteps & the file Melba was talking about is correct, mine is blank as well.

UDF List:

Thanks again: with Beege's revision to Melba23's instructions, I was able to add a MsgBox Checker to my SciTE Tools menu. This is ideal.

One suggestion for any instructions posted on the wiki: When I opened the User Options File, it was completely blank - it didn't have the lines that Melba23 told me to look for. So I simply pasted in the commands that Melba23 said to paste in (with Beege's revision), and it worked perfectly. So it might be worth mentioning that it's OK if the file is completely blank.

This is very good to know. Many thanks!

ohh its not User Options File, its au3.properties. Which is under the same Options menu.

ohh its not User Options File, its au3.properties. Which is under the same Options menu.

I was following these instructions, which say to look in au3.properties for the line number (35 in this case), but then actually to add the new lines to User Options:

- Open <Options - Open au3.properties>. Look for the long series of "command" lines that begin about Line 64 (#x 00 Beta RUN) and go down to the last one - for me it is Line 277 (#~ # 34 Generate UDF header). You need to find the highest value used so far - 34 in my case.
- Open <Options - User Options File>. Then BETWEEN the following lines:
# END => DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BEFORE THIS LINE #-#-#-#-#-#
>>>>>>>>>>> in here!!!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<
#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#
# START: DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING AFTER THIS LINE #-#-#-#-#

Those instructions work. If I change au3.properties, won't it be overwritten by any new version of the software? Or am I completely wrong??

Edited by emendelson