win 7 problem

Champak

I have 3 win7 ultimate machines and one of them is not showing anything except a blank gui when i launch the app...no ctrls, no images, no nothing. I have no idea where to begin to look for the cause. The one that is not showing anything is actually the one the app is going to be run on. Help please.

Champak,

Implied in your post is that the "app" runs fine on two of the machines. Therefore, either the "app" is not accounting for some difference in this machine, or, the environment that the "app" is running under is different.

This general conjecture is as good as it gets without example code.

Good Luck,

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

That part I already assumed. I just thought there was a known environmental condition in win7 that someone has experienced and could simply say "check/change *this* on the computer". I didnt post the script because it is REALLY long. But if you're willing to go through it, I'll gladly post it later, thank you.

• Moderators

Champak,

First I would create a small script with just a GUI and a few controls and see if the same thing happens on this one machine. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I decided to go the drastic route and just wipe and reinstall win7. Now the app wont even start. Totally clean system, no other apps on the machine, before and after all the win7 updates. The only difference I can see between the problematic machine and the other two is the problem one has the Vista boot animation while the other two have the win7 boot animation. No, vista was never installed, and like I said I wiped the HD. If I cant figure this by the end of the week, I'll just build the app on this machine since this is where it's going to run and hope I dont have problems in the future because of this.

Figured it out. I had the app installing the images into a temp dir in "C:UsersLabAppDataLocalTempNI1". What I cant figure out is why this folder (NI1) could easily be created on any XP machine, and only on a couple 7 machines. Is that temp folder protected by default in win7? Did I make changes to the two win7 machines that I dont remember that allowed this? How can I make my script automatically overcome this?