_WinAPI_SetWindowPos() doesn't work on ListView control

AndyS01

I'm trying to dynamically change the height of a ListView control and using _WinAPI_SetWindowPos() does not do anything.

I am forced to create the listview with _GUICtrlListView_Create() because of other issues.

I don't know of any other was to change a contoll's size dynamically.

Here is a test script:

#include <\AutoIT-src\myLib\MyDebug.au3>
_DebugSetup(@ScriptName & "_debug.txt", False, 6, "D:\temp\x.log") ; 6 = Notepad; 2 = to console; 4 = to a file
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
Opt("GUICloseOnESC", 1) ; ESC closes GUI
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode
Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)
OnAutoItExitRegister("ExitStageLeft")
Opt("GUIEventOptions", 1) ;0=default, 1=just notification, 2=GuiCtrlRead tab index
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", -2) ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase

Global $hMainWin_hWnd
Global $hListView_hWnd = 0
Global $iListView_ID = 0
Global $mwTitle = ""

_Main()
Exit (1)

Func _Main()

$mwTitle = "Test Script"
$hMainWin_hWnd = GUICreate($mwTitle, 300, 500, 100, 100)

$hListView_hWnd = [color=#ff0000]_GUICtrlListView_Create[/color]($hMainWin_hWnd, "lv", 5, 5, 300 - 50, 500 - 40)
_DebugOut("+++: Listview handle: " & Hex($hListView_hWnd))

GUICtrlCreateButton("Higher", 10, 500 - 30, 50, 25)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "higher")

GUICtrlCreateButton("Lower", 60, 500 - 30, 50, 25)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "lower")
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, 'ExitStageLeft')
GUISetState() ; Make everything visible

While (1)
Sleep(250)
WEnd
Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func ExitStageLeft()
Exit (1)
EndFunc   ;==>ExitStageLeft

Func higher()
changeHeight(20)
EndFunc   ;==>higher

Func lower()
changeHeight(-20)
EndFunc   ;==>lower

Func changeHeight($dh)
_DebugOut("+++: changeHeight(" & $dh & ") entered")
Local $cur_h, $cur_w, $w, $h, $ret, $ar

$ar = getWidthHeight()
$cur_w = $ar[0]
$cur_h = $ar[1]

$h = $cur_h + $dh
$w = $cur_w

_DebugOut("+++: calling _WinAPI_SetWindowPos(" & Hex($hListView_hWnd) & ", 10, 10 , " & $w & ", " & $h & ", 0x200)")

$ret =[color=#ff0000] _WinAPI_SetWindowPos[/color]($hListView_hWnd, -1, -1, -1, $w, $h, 0x200) ;  0x200 = $SWP_NOOWNERZORDER
_DebugOut("+++: $ret after _WinAPI_SetWindowPos() = " & $ret)

If (Not $ret) Then
MsgBox(0, "ERROR", "_WinAPI_SetWindowPos(" & Hex($hListView_hWnd) & ", -1, -1 , " & $w & ", " & $h & ", 0x200) failed")
Exit (1)
EndIf

$ar = getWidthHeight()

If ($ar[0] == $cur_w) Or ($ar[1] == $cur_h) Then
MsgBox(16, "ERROR", "Failed to change size at all")
Exit (1)
EndIf

If ($ar[0] <> $w) Or ($ar[1] <> $h) Then
MsgBox(16, "ERROR", "Failed to change size correctly")
Exit (1)
EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>changeHeight

Func getWidthHeight()
Local $ar[2]

$ar[0] = _WinAPI_GetWindowWidth($hListView_hWnd)
_DebugOut("+++: _WinAPI_GetWindowWidth(" & Hex($hListView_hWnd) & ") = " & $ar[0])

$ar[1] = _WinAPI_GetWindowHeight($hListView_hWnd)
_DebugOut("+++: _WinAPI_GetWindowHeight(" & Hex($hListView_hWnd) & ") = " & $ar[1])

Return ($ar)
EndFunc   ;==>getWidthHeight

What about using WinMove instead?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

First of all, _WinAPI_SetWindowPos isn't going to affect a control, it looks like it's for windows only. Second, why must you use the _GUICtrlListView_Create function to make the listview? What are you trying to do with it that the native function won't do?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

AndyS01,

If you actually allow the script to run rather than testing the results of the function, it works very nicely with WinMove as this script shows: :)

#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Opt("GUICloseOnESC", 1) ; ESC closes GUI
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode
Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)
OnAutoItExitRegister("ExitStageLeft")
Opt("GUIEventOptions", 1) ;0=default, 1=just notification, 2=GuiCtrlRead tab index
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", -2) ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase

Global $hMainWin_hWnd
Global $hListView_hWnd = 0
Global $iListView_ID = 0
Global $mwTitle = ""

_Main()

While (1)
    Sleep(250)
WEnd

Exit (1)

Func _Main()

$mwTitle = "Test Script"
    $hMainWin_hWnd = GUICreate($mwTitle, 300, 500, 100, 100)
    GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, 'ExitStageLeft')
    GUISetBkColor(0xFFCCCC)

$hListView_hWnd = _GUICtrlListView_Create($hMainWin_hWnd, "lv", 5, 5, 300 - 50, 500 - 40)
    _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($hListView_hWnd, 0, 300 - 70)

For $i = 1 To 50
        _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView_hWnd, "ListView Item " & $i)
    Next

GUICtrlCreateButton("Higher", 10, 500 - 30, 50, 25)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "higher")

GUICtrlCreateButton("Lower", 60, 500 - 30, 50, 25)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "lower")

GUISetState() ; Make everything visible

EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func ExitStageLeft()
    Exit (1)
EndFunc   ;==>ExitStageLeft

Func higher()
    changeHeight(20)
EndFunc   ;==>higher

Func lower()
    changeHeight(-20)
EndFunc   ;==>lower

Func changeHeight($dh)

Local $ar = WinGetPos($hListView_hWnd)
    WinMove($hListView_hWnd, "", 5, 5, $ar[2], $ar[3] + $dh)

EndFunc   ;==>changeHeight

Does it work for you too? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks Melba23, I could've sworn it worked when I last used WinMove, so was a taken back a bit when told it didn't work! :)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Right. It all works now. Actually, it was working all along as you said, but I was getting bogus results when I looked to see if the size actually changed. I changed it to use _WinAPI_GetWindowPlacement() to get the size and it all checked out OK. I can resize and verify that the resize worked.

I find it interesting that the first parameter to WinMove() is documented as the window title, but a window (or control) handle can also be used. Makes it really useful for resizing controls.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

Andy

Mmmh,

I didn't read all, but for a own listview I use controlsetpos. Also have a look at the "default" keyword.

A quick exctract from a bigger script:

;; get the position of the of the horizontal splitter of the left side mother GUI (sidbar with splitter)

$hsPos = ControlGetPos($leftGUI,"",$hSplitter)

DIM $hsl=$hsPos[0], $hst=$hsPos[1], $hsw=$hsPos[2], $hsh=$hsPos[3]

;; Change left sidebar listview position based on changes of the splitter

GuiCTrlSetPos($leftGui_Listview1, 0, $hst+2+15+22,default,$lgh-$hst-15-8-22)

HTH, Reinhard

• Moderators

ReFran,

I didn't read all, but for a own listview I use controlsetpos

As the OP uses the GUIListView UDF to create the ListView, GuiCtrlSetPos will not work - he needs to use WinMove. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

AndyS01,

I find it interesting that the first parameter to WinMove() is documented as the window title, but a window (or control) handle can also be used

From the Help file - <Using AutoIt - Window Titles and Text (Advanced)>: :)

"A window handle is a special value that Windows assigns to windows each time they are created. When you have a handle you may use it in place of the title parameter in any of the function calls that use the title/text convention"

M23

Spoiler

As the OP uses the GUIListView UDF to create the ListView, GuiCtrlSetPos will not work - he needs to use WinMove. :)

Aaah,

I start by standard with GuiCtrlCreate ... and use UDF only if I need it. So I didn't notice that.

Thanks for enlightening, Reinhard

Edited by ReFran

First of all, _WinAPI_SetWindowPos isn't going to affect a control, it looks like it's for windows only.

Yes it will.

A control is a child window that an application uses in conjunction with another window to enable user interaction.

The difference you will notice is that window-functions uses window-coordinates and control-based client-coords