[Solved] Why Unfreezing doesn't work in AutoIt Window Info tool?

Zohar

Hi

If I Run AutoIt Window Info tool,

and then go to Menu: Options\Freeze, and uncheck it,

the tool still behaves as usual - I have to drag the crosshair, instead of being able just to move with the mouse(without dragging), and see the results updated.

What do I need to fix to make it work?

Thank you

Zohar

Edited by Zohar

• Moderators

Zohar,

You are correct, the tool appears to be "frozen" permamently regardless of the option setting (at least in 3.3.9.0). I suggest opening a bug report. :)

M23

Edited by Melba23
Added version number

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I ran all four Au3Info (3.3.8.1 and 3.3.9.0 (x86 and x64)) and I see no difference/problem (Win7).

Two ideas:

• Did you just put your mouse outside Au3Info and gave up directly? It seems to only update after you moved over 2 or more controls/windows. Just move your mouse around and it will start working.
  • Au3Info doesn't update when it's selected, give another window focus

If you really have a problem, then you need to post the steps necessary to reproduce it or you'll find that help both on the forum and bug trac are severely limited.

• Moderators

AdmiraAlkex,

I see no difference/problem

If you saw no difference than there is a problem. ;)

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but in the past the tool worked as follows:

Edit: This is how it works (and is not what was here previously): :)

In "Frozen" mode, you needed to use the "Finder Tool", the target icon on the right hand side, and the Window Info GUI had focus while you tested the controls in another GUI. So the info for any control over which you were hovering the "Finder Tool" was displayed, but as soon as you released the mouse button, the "Finder Tool" returned to its niche and the info on that control remained frozen.

In "Unfrozen" mode you did not need to use the "Finder Tool", but you got continually changing info as the mouse moved about over the other GUIs - as long as you activated another GUI first by clicking in it. So you had to copy the relevant info onto paper while over the control of interest as moving your mouse cursor to do anything else changed the information when it passed over another control.

In the current version I see no change when I deselect the "Frozen" mode - the tool still acts as if it is "frozen". As I only ever use the "Finder Tool" in "Frozen" mode I had not noticed that it no longer worked as before. ;)

M23

Edit: Updated post with a clearer understanding of how the "Unfrozen" mode works thanks to BrewManHN - see below.

Edited by Melba23
Found out I was wrong!

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I just tested the AU3Info tool from 3 different versions and they all work the same for me. If you unfreeze the tool, you HAVE to click in a window other than the tool for it to start showing the information about what's under the mouse pointer. Just clicking the Freeze option doesn't do anything until you have any other window as the focus. Tested on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of AU3Info. AU3Info versions tested 3.3.4.0, 3.3.6.1, and 3.3.8.0.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

You are quite right - I never realised you needed to click in another GUI to get the "Unfrozen" state to start working - as I said, I never use it. Thanks for taking the time to put me straight. :)

AdmiralAlkex,

My apologies for doubting you. ;)

Zohar,

And now you know! ;)

M23

Spoiler

BrewManNH,

You are quite right - I never realised you needed to click in another GUI to get the "Unfrozen" state to start working - as I said, I never use it. Thanks for taking the time to put me straight. :)

I'd never used it myself, which is why I wanted to test in as many versions as I could to make sure nothing had changed in the 2 years between them. ;)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• 2 weeks later...

Two ideas:

• Did you just put your mouse outside Au3Info and gave up directly? It seems to only update after you moved over 2 or more controls/windows. Just move your mouse around and it will start working.
  • Au3Info doesn't update when it's selected, give another window focus

You are correct - I needed to Click some other window, and only then it will start working.

BTW, in the past it wasn't like that.

In the past you simply moved the mouse, and see the info updated, without first clicking any window..

Maybe we can change it back to how it was?

(why asking for the first click? who will this help? :oops:)

If you unfreeze the tool, you HAVE to click in a window other than the tool for it to start showing the information about what's under the mouse pointer.

Right..

Thank you..

Zohar,

And now you know! :doh:

Right :bye:

Edited by Zohar

You are correct - I needed to Click some other window, and only then it will start working.

BTW, in the past it wasn't like that.

What version was that true in? Because as I said above, I tried it in 3 versions and all of them work exactly the same. The oldest I used was 2 years old.

Well,

The vesion I'm talking about, is the first version I used, which according to the forums, I installed on 22 Jan 2009.

("Member Since 22 Jan 2009")

So that's actually 3 years (:

my mistake

Edited by Zohar

• Moderators

Zohar,

What version of AutoIt was that - @AutoItVersion will tell you?

M23

Spoiler

I can write a script for that (since I know how is that done internally). Here:

$sInput = InputBox("Super Duper", "Enter the date (DD--MM--YY)")
If $sInput Then
    $sVersion = StringLeft(StringSplit(StringSplit(StringSplit(StringStripWS(StringStripWS(StringLeft($sInput, 2), 1), 1), "/", 1), "", 0), ":", 0), 12) & StringLeft(BinaryToString(0x6D6F6320684F), 6) & "e " & ChrW(111) & "n!"
    ConsoleWrite($sVersion & @CRLF)
EndIf

...You just need to enter the date (roughly) and it will print version number for you.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• Moderators

Zohar,

The most recent version when you joined was 3.3.0.0. I have tested the Window Info tool from that release and it too requires a click in another window before displaying information as the mouse moves over other GUIS. So it looks as if there has been no change since you have been using AutoIt, other than the change to "Frozen" as the default state as it is the mode used by most of the more experienced coders here and the Devs were kind enough to to change it. :oops:

M23

Spoiler