Parsing a Excel CSV-file into variables

Hi there,

Have run into a small challenge.

I need to read from a CSV-file, delimited with ; .

The separator character (:) is fixed.

My csv-file contans 1000+ lines of data, length of text between separators is not fixed.

Example from csv-file.

Hostname;Sitenumber;IPaddress;Std-Gateway;Netmask;SiteName;Customer Address;Zipcode;City;Phonenbr.;EDI-code;EDI-Number;2;81;SERVICEDESK REF SITE;TEST;0;0;XXX;3;4;Customer;7;13;10;

Optimally I want to read the "Hostname" into a GUI-listbox where i can choose the one host to install.

The info from the line containing the chosen hostname, should be read into variables, for further use in configuring the host.

If anyone could point me in the right direction here then it would be great.

/Glenn

Hi there,

The separator character (:) is fixed.

My csv-file contans 1000+ lines of data, length of text between separators is not fixed.

Example from csv-file.

Hostname;Sitenumber;IPaddress;Std-Gateway;Netmask;SiteName;Customer Address;Zipcode;City;Phonenbr.;EDI-code;EDI-Number;2;81;SERVICEDESK REF SITE;TEST;0;0;XXX;3;4;Customer;7;13;10;

Optimally I want to read the "Hostname" into a GUI-listbox where i can choose the one host to install.

The info from the line containing the chosen hostname, should be read into variables, for further use in configuring the host.

/Glenn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i had to do something similar, creating a dynamic combo box... i always mess up when i do links in here, so if you'd like to see my thread about my adventure in dynamic combo boxes, just click my name over there and check my topics... i think i've only started 1 or two of them, and one is named 'dynamic combo box'

Here are some functions. Please read the help file and the samples therein. FileReadLine(), StringSplit(), _GUICtrlListAddItem

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

Hi there,

/Glenn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a function I made to read fields from .csv files (after reading the file to an array), it is simple and only works on the most simple files, but change the "," to a ";" and it might get you started.

exit_program is just a function to perform some cleanup if an error is detected.

;between_commas will return the the information between which_comma and which_comma + 1
;for example, if which_comma = 0, it will return everything before the first comma
;it needs a string and which comma (integer) as arguments
func between_commas($the_string, $which_comma)
    dim $current_comma = 0
    dim $left_bound = 0
    dim $temp_string
    dim $right_bound = stringlen($the_string)
    dim $character_position

;This section finds the left bounds that we actually want
    $character_position = 0
    while($current_comma < $which_comma)
        if(stringmid($the_string,$character_position,1) = ",") then
            $current_comma = $current_comma + 1
        EndIf
        $character_position = $character_position + 1

if($character_position > $right_bound) Then
            exit_program("function betwen_commas is trying to find comma: " & $which_comma & " but only found: " & $current_comma & " commas.  Exceeded length of array which was " & $right_bound & ".  Possibly a corrupt file or an error in the script.")
        EndIf

WEnd

$temp_string = " "
    while($character_position < $right_bound + 1)
        if(stringmid($the_string, $character_position, 1) = ",") Then
            $character_position = $right_bound + 1
        Else
            $temp_string = $temp_string & stringmid($the_string, $character_position, 1)
            $character_position = $character_position + 1
        EndIf
    WEnd
    return $temp_string
EndFunc