Add a Google Search to SciTE

Beege

Quite often I find myself copying something in Scite, opening my browser and doing a google search for it. If you too find yourself doing this a lot then here's a small command you can add to Scite to speed up the process. It adds rightclick menu option that google searches whatever you have selected.

To add just go to the Options menu, select "Open User Options File", append the code posted below, click save and restart Scite.

# Right Click Menu Items - (Only define once)
user.context.menu=||Google Selected|1140|AutoIt Forum Search|1141

# 40 Google Selected Command
command.40.*="http://www.google.com/search?q=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.40.*=2
command.quiet.40.*=1

# 41 AutoIt Forum Search Command
command.41.*="http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_term=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.41.*=2
command.quiet.41.*=1

Snap.PNG.f8f7060bb6a2d40c10ec6261ec59932b.PNG

Edited by Beege

Thanks very much usefull addition

Very useful

thanks

Thanks. Your welcome :)

• 1 month later...

I recently found myself needing this ability more and more so I finally added it to my installation of SciTE. One change that I did though was change it so that it would search Google for the selected text regardless of whether I was working on an *.au3 file or not. Because sometimes I need to look up the meaning of some of the property settings for SciTE itself. If anyone wants to make this change, so you can google from any document type in Scite just make the changes below.

# 40 google Selected
command.subsystem.40.*=2
command.quiet.40.*=1

Change all instances of "40.$(au3)" to "40.*" to make it a global setting. This function is very handy to have in SciTE because there's always something I need to look up and this saves so much time.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

It made me wonder could it be an Autoit Search as well?

I messed with this but it seems to counter the previous one, but im just guessing

user.context.menu=||Add as Snippet|1116|Google Search|1140|AutoIt Search|1141
# 40 Google Search
command.subsystem.40.*=2
command.quiet.40.*=1

# 41 AutoIt Search
command.41.*="http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums(CurrentSelection)"
# tried command.41.*="http://www.autoitscript.com/search?q=$(CurrentSelection)"
# tried command.41.*="http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search?q=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.41.*=2
command.quiet.41.*=1

Now it makes the menu item but just brings up the search page in Autoit forums, how do i make it search for the item?

Ok been messing a bit with different addresses but still cant get it to search for the highlighted item any ideas?

What about this URL?

http://www.google.com/search?q=$(CurrentSelection)&as_sitesearch=www.autoitscript.com

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You'd probably be better off using a google search of the autoit site, because it gets a lot more hits.

user.context.menu=||Add as Snippet|1116|Google Selected|1140|Google Autoit Site|1141
# 41 google Selected
command.41.*="http://www.google.com/search?q=$(CurrentSelection)+site:www.autoitscript.com%2Fforum"
command.subsystem.41.*=2
command.quiet.41.*=1

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You use "+site:" where as I use "as_sitesearch=", same thing different approach.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Aaahah jobs a good un

Many thanks

only small bit i changed was

user.context.menu=||Add as Snippet|1116|Google Selected|1140|Autoit Forum Search|1141

just so it was clearer

For DuckDuckGo.com user

user.context.menu=||Add as Snippet|1116|DDG Selected|1140|AutoIt Forum Search|1141
# 40 DDG Selected
command.40.*="http://duckduckgo.com/?q=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.40.*=2
command.quiet.40.*=1

# 41 AutoIt Forum Search
command.41.*="http//duckduckgo.com/?q=site:autoitscript.com+$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.41.*=2
command.quiet.41.*=1
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Now it makes the menu item but just brings up the search page in Autoit forums, how do i make it search for the item?

Ok been messing a bit with different addresses but still cant get it to search for the highlighted item any ideas?

Aside from missing a $ in there, try:

# 41 AutoIt Search
command.41.*="http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_term=$(CurrentSelection)"

You use "+site:" where as I use "as_sitesearch=", same thing different approach.

Crossposting FTW ;)

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome!! ;)

I think Jos should add these two popupmenu items (Google Selected + AutoIt Forum Search) also to standard Scite4Autoit3 install package.

EDIT:

user.context.menu=||Add as Snippet|1116|Google Selected|1140|AutoIt Forum Search|1141

# 40 Google Selected
command.40.$(au3)="http://www.google.com/search?q=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.40.$(au3)=2
command.quiet.40.$(au3)=1

# 41 AutoIt Forum Search
command.41.$(au3)="http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_term=$(CurrentSelection)"
command.subsystem.41.$(au3)=2
command.quiet.41.$(au3)=1
Edited by Zedna