copying files and getting source and destionation from a TXT

stibbar

Hello all,

I have been searching the forums, and I have not been able to find anything on copying a file and using the information in a text file for the source and destination. I am betting there is something out there and I suck at searching.

so here is what i am trying to accomplish in a nutshell;

• create a GUI that asks you what directory you want to search. - Works
  • port specific file type list to a text file. - works
  • use that text file to read the each line then copy the file to the same directory and add .OLD to it. - fail as a n00b scripter
I have used autoit before and created some scripts to make life easy, but nothing really like this and I would like your input as I am stumped. I have tried fileread & filereadline, I know I am doing something stupid or forgetting something dumb. so anyone able to bring light to this i would appriciate it, and so would my head from banging it on the desk.

Here is the code, it is simple to say the least, I also removed all the variables i had been using like @temp and things to rule out fat fingered code.

#Include <File.Au3>
#Include <String.Au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

local $copyandreplace = "C:\Temp\AUTOIT.OLD.txt"
FileOpen($copyandreplace)
while 1
$copy = FileRead($copyandreplace)
;~  $copy2 = FileReadLine($copyandreplace) ;lef this so you know i tried this as well.
If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
  FileCopy($copy, $copy &".old")
WEnd
FileClose($copyandreplace)

Thanks In advance folks.

Stibb

I do not quite understand what you are wanting to do.

The best I can muster is that you want to rename the file.

if that is true then look at the FileMove function and read its remarks.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

JohnOne

Essentially what I am trying to do is use the text file as a way to list, in this case Microsoft App-V OSD files, with the full path. Then use that text file with a string of some type to pull the full path from the text and copy the file. In the text there is something like this

D:APPV.OSD.testapplicationname0ApplicationOSD0.osd

D:APPV.OSD.testapplicationname1ApplicationOSD1.osd

D:APPV.OSD.testapplicationname2ApplicationOSD2.osd

what I am am trying to figure out is how to pull each line so it reads it, then copies it with the .old added to the end

so ending up with something along the lines of

filecopy ("D:APPV.OSD.testapplicationname0ApplicationOSD0.osd, "D:APPV.OSD.testapplicationname0ApplicationOSD0.osd.old")

I have over 2000 of these files i want to do it with varibles that read each line until it reaches the end of the file.

I hope that makes more sense.

/R

Stibb

I tried that code, but I received

H:Script.repositoryOSDSCRATCH OSD.au3 (37) : ==> Subscript used with non-Array variable.:

For $i = 1 To $aCopy[0]

For $i = 1 To $aCopy^ ERROR

I am not familar with the [ ] so i will go poke around and trying and read up on those.

/R

Stibb

• Moderators

Hi, Stibbar. How about something like this?

#include <File.au3>

$file = "C:TestTest.txt"
$file_count_lines = _FileCountLines($file)

for $i = 0 to $file_count_lines
  $output = FileReadLine($file, $i)
   FileCopy($output, $output & ".old", 1)
  Next

You'll need to change your directory, of course. But this works for me for 100+ text files.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

JLogan3o13

Thanks, that actually worked once i moved he file to something i had full access to, not even going to try and figure out why reading from temp was jacked up lol

once i moved the text file and added it also worked.

local $file = "d:text.txt"

Thank you both very much for the direction you all rock!

On to the next issue and hopefully I can write that one to work the first time around hehe

/R

Stibbar

Are the files always named *.osd, and do you want to move or copy all the files in the folder with that extension to the new destination with a new extension? Because if they're all .osd file extensions and you want to copy all of them you could do it this way:

FileCopy("C:temp*.osd", "C:tempNew*.osd.old", 9)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator