Reading/Writing ini file

brad25

Hello I have made a program that creates ini files and save users info to it. Im wanting to somehow point the ini files to goto some sorta file hosting site and not host them local so mulitable people can use this and all the info stays current any ideas?

I dont have a website atm was trying to find some free hosting i dont need that much storage. the way i have my prog setup it creates the ini files also so i dont even have to make them. So InetGet() will make the ini file on the website then send it to the local machine and all changes made?

Edited by brad25

You could use a DropBox account and store it there, just add a link to it in your script. I'd create the INI file before you use this script in the wild though because you'll be able to preset some things in it to test it on other computers before releasing it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You could use a DropBox account and store it there, just add a link to it in your script. I'd create the INI file before you use this script in the wild though because you'll be able to preset some things in it to test it on other computers before releasing it.

would dropbox have to be installed on every computer using the software?

Only on your's, once the file has been migrated to your account's folder on dropbox you just have to create a link to it, it would appear like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11960446/_ProgressGUI.au3 which is a file I have on my public folder in my dropbox account.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I believe that would require the link to be updated each time which could defeat the object (if indeed I'm understanding the goal)

At the risk of getting called cyber names, I'll tell you that I once done something rather sneaky to achieve a similar endgame

not long after starting with autoit.

I cannot remember if I used facebook, some other social network or a bog standard forum somewhere, it doesn't matter

the result was the same, I posted some information there, and wrote a function with a bit of string jiggery pokery to retrieve

that info and write it to file, each time I wanted the info to change, I just edited the post/

oooooh the shame.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I cant read or edit the ini files i have uploaded to dropbox with my program. I guess ill have to find free website hosting and upload it to that or if anyone has any other ideas?

Edited by brad25