Changing the data in a Gui Label... how to..

tommytx

Can someone help me with this.. I want to routinely change the data shown on the basic label routinely and nothing seems to work... For example I want to change the text from "Line 1 Cell 1" to like Hello Dolly

and it says I need the control Id to identify the control. How do I find the control ID so I can use it to help in changing the data on the label.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
GUICreate("My GUI")  ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Line 1 Cell 1", 10, 30, 70)
GUISetState()
sleep(3000)
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Hello Dolly")
GUISetState()
Do
$msg = GUIGetMsg()
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

When you create a control it will return the control id, you simply store it in a variable for later use.

Why do you want to change the Text to "Hello Dolly" again and again, if that was just an example then you can use a For or Do Until loop.

E.G.

GUICreate("My GUI")  ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
$Control_ID = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Line 1 Cell 1", 10, 30, 70)
GUISetState()
sleep(3000)
GUICtrlSetData($Control_ID, "Hello Dolly")
GUISetState()
Do
$msg = GUIGetMsg()
Edited by Guest

See the comments below for what to change.

GUICreate("My GUI") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
Global $Label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Line 1 Cell 1", 10, 30, 70) ; First save the handle of the label to a variable
GUISetState()
Sleep(3000)
GUICtrlSetData($Label, "Hello Dolly") ; Next we use that handle with GUICtrlSetData to change what the label says.
GUISetState()
Do
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

OOPS! Sorry.. it looks like the original response was made by Aipion.... I just read the comment and skipped to the next one not realizing you had given a very nice example of what i should do... Thank you very much Aipion..

Also for anyone following this thread, I tested and its not necessary to include the Gui set state following the gui set data... works fine without the extra command... I was only required to use the gui set state once following creation.

That is nice, if you have to change state a lot of times.. you only need one line command vice 2 lines.

Bottom line this thread solved my problem...