Including other files for an installation script

I'm creating an "Installation" exe for the program I've just created, and it has a 3rd party app dependency. Can I wrap up the 3rd party .exe inside my installation .exe and call it for an installation?

I was figuring that #Include <...> is the way to package it in (or maybe not?). If it is, how would I call that .exe? If it isn't is this possible to do?

P.S. in case you're curious, the application is an OCR check scanning app for the company I work for. The 3rd party app is the OCR application that my program uses.

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

You're thinking of FileInstall, it will package the file inside your .exe and extract it when you run the program. There's also JScript's script that embeds the file in the script instead.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

mechaflash213,

Look at FileInstall - that is what you need. :bye:

A word to the wise - does the licence of this 3rd party app allow you to multiple install it like this? :oops:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

@Melba funny story :bye: actually :

So the company I work for processes checks, and they still use old MICR Readers as opposed to OCR, and this has become a much bigger problem since they passed the Federal law to allow for what they call "Substitute" checks or IRD: Image Replacement document. A lot of banks and businesses use these IRDs to send to us for processing... the problem that we've been running into is they come in as email attachments, faxes, and photocopies, all of which aren't in MICR ink which are required by your standard MICR Check scanner to read it.

I've searched far and wide for a software/hardware combo to do this for us... and as this is a small business, we couldn't afford $20,000 OCR check licenses along with $4,000 worth of hardware.

There was a demo application from one of the companies we were inquiring for an OCR check software license that scans an image of a check, reads the micr line details, and outputs it to fields in their demo application.

Then I ran into AutoIT and its ability to manipulate form fields. I checked the licensing on the demo application and there isn't a licensing requirement for it: "Free Software" with no time limit.

So I've built an application to work with the demo software to scan the checks, and inject the information into our application.

So far I've spent about 2 months on this project, and I've got maybe 1 or 2 more weeks before completion, saving the company at LEAST $20,000, plus no hardware maintenance cause we don't have to use any check readers. We already scan the checks into our system as PDFs, and I use ghostscript to output them into TIFFs for processing.

I feel so proud of this program :oops:

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

@Melba @Brew

FileInstall looks great. JScript sounds awesome, but since FileInstall is already provided, and the file in question isn't that big, I'll just use FileInstall.

Spoiler

You may want to look closer at the licensing for the demo... It's just hard to imagine that the software is really free to use in production. I hope it is :oops: but it just seems that everybody would do that if that's the case.

EDIT: Really not trying to take away from your hard work and ingenuity, just lookin' out.

Edited by danwilli