RegWrite Verbiage Clarification please.

I am trying to create a new registry DWORD value that is set to whatever I specify it to say 0 or 1. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I have been unable to write the value to the registry.

#RequireAdmin
Opt("TrayAutoPause", 0)
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)
Local $sTitle = "MSSE"
Local $OSA = @OSArch, $OSV = @OSVersion, $OSA64 = 0
Local $HKCR, $HKLM, $HKCU, $HKU, $error
;
Switch $OSA
    Case "X86"
        $HKCR = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"
        $HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER"
        $HKLM = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
        $HKU = "HKEY_USERS"
    Case "X64"
        If Not @AutoItX64 Then ExitMsg("64Bit OS Detected. Please use the 64Bit version of this program.")
        $HKCR = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT64"
        $HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER64"
        $HKLM = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64"
        $HKU = "HKEY_USERS64"
        $OSA64 = 1
    Case Else
        ExitMsg("Not tested on --> " & $OSA)
EndSwitch
Func ExitMsg($str)
    MsgBox(8208, $sTitle, $str & @TAB)
    Exit
EndFunc
If $OSA = "X86" Then
InetGet("http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/enus/x86/mseinstall.exe", "MSSE.exe") ;<===== Downloads x86 Version
ElseIf $OSA = "X64" Then
InetGet("http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/enus/amd64/mseinstall.exe", "MSSE.exe") ;<===== Downloads x64 Version
EndIf
ShellExecuteWait("MSSE.exe","/s /runwgacheck /o", @ScriptDir,"",@SW_HIDE)
Sleep(5000)
RegWrite($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Exclusions\","Paths","REG_DWORD","C:\Windows\winsxs\"& "0")

So I guess I don't understand the syntax for how to create the new DWORD and then assign it a value.

That does not seem to do it either. So the key C:Windowwinsxs does not exisit I need to create it and then assign it the DWORD value of 0 But I have been trying for awhile to get it to write the key and I have been unable to sort it out. I have #RequireAdmin but I still think it is some sort of permissions issue writing to that key.

Okay after looking at the permissions for that key I found that Admin in fact can not write to that key. I found the link below http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/ff682907-e05a-4224-9aed-51e0709b58a1 but I am not sure that is a good thing to do or not. Any thoughts or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. :oops:

Edited by Nunos

• Developers

Just some random questions :oops:

What Windows OS are you testing on?

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of Autoit3?

Did you check the Wow6432Node hive when running on a x64 OS?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I am testing it on Win 7 Professional 32 bit and using a 32 bit version of AutoIT. And I appologize but I do not know what the last question means but I have not done anything on a 64Bit system yet all I have done is check on the above mentioned OS.

• Developers

That last bit is only on an x64 system. :oops:

Lets see if I understand what you want to achieve:

do you want the key value to contain 1 or 0 or do you want the value to be a path?

reason for asking is that a DWORD is numeric and you use this as parameter: "C:Windowswinsxs"& "0"

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I am trying to add the path and the dword value of 0. The path is to tell the AV to not scan a particular path and I will be adding some other eclusions for File extensions and processes. So I would need to be able to add the path or process or file extension and then set the DWORD value to 0 or 1.

http://wpkg.org/MSSecurityEssentials You can see at that link down under the exclusions section what I am attempting to do. I think it must be some sort of a permissions issue but I could be wrong.

Edited by Nunos

• Developers

So shouldn't your statement than read either:

$rc = RegWrite($HKLM & "SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft AntimalwareExclusionsPaths","C:Windowswinsxs","REG_DWORD",0)
or
$rc = RegWrite($HKLM & "SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft AntimalwareExclusionsPaths","C:Windowswinsxs","REG_DWORD",0)

Jos :oops:

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I tried both and still am not able to add anything to those registry keys. Is it possible that I need to write with like a system account rather than an administrator account? If so any thoughts on how I could do that? I opened the program and added the exclusion and then checked the registry and it was there, then I removed it all and tried with suggestions above and nothing. I tried another script I have that switches the proxy on my laptop for work or home and it was able to write to the registry.

• Developers

Just tried the following command which worked fine when running in Admin mode:

$rc = RegWrite("HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft AntimalwareExclusionsPaths","C:Windowswinsxs","REG_DWORD",0)
Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Weird I can't create any keys in that branch under the Microsoft Antimalware key. Perhaps I have an issue with my laptop I will test it on my home pc it is Vista. Thank you for your help so far. :oops:

Update-

I tested on two other computers and in fact was blocked there as well. As a test I tried to write just the keys without the rest of my script and it worked. So to test further I wrote all of the exclusions I wanted to add to the registry first and then installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it worked. I guess MSSE somehow was protecting that registry key. Anyhow I have what I think will work as a work around. Thank you for your help and getting me going in the "Write" direction.

Sorry couldn't resist the pun.

Sincerely,

Nunos

Edited by Nunos