Autoit can use a Virtual Registry?

Hi guys, i have a problem and i don't know i can be solved.

I have create a script which loads an external software. This software require some registry entry. The problem is, on some computer tested, creates an incompatibility with another software that uses the same registry keys, but in different ways.

So the question is:

Can i create a sort of "layer" on the registry for load the reg entry? Or can the .exe load the entry from a file insted of the real registry?

Thanks for support :bye:

EDIT: Sorry wrong section :oops: Can a mod move to General Help and Support? Thanks

Edited by johnmcloud

• Moderators

Hi, johnmcloud. Creating a virtual registry is not something I believe can be done on the fly. There are plenty of products that do it of course (all of your Application Virtualization suites such as VMware ThinApp, for example), but most use some pretty heavy stuff in the background to create their virtual "bubble". About the closest I have ever come across for personal use is the BoxedApp SDK, but most of that is for C++. There is also the one from NTCore, which is basically XML format, but I've never used it.

Alternatively, if you look into packaging your software with Wix or Admin Studio, you can avoid some of what you are describing (often described as "dll hell"). These tools allow you to redirect some aspects of your program, such as dll's and reg entries, into the program folder itself, and place just a pointer in the system. Thus, when your application calls something that would normally reside at HKLMSOFTWAREAppNameIcon, the program knows to actually look for it in the installation directory. Hope this helps you somewhat.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

Not that I have seen, but someone more intelligent than I may happen along with a different answer.

Alternatively, if this is an application you've written, you could just virtualize the whole thing. Since its acquisition of Altiris, Symantec now offers its Software Virtualization Solution free for personal use.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!