auto IE window fresh

I have this script and I cannot figure out why on earth it is giving me an error message. each time I run the scrip it gives me an error code referencing the Sleep 5000 . what is wrong with the code?

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <IE.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 347, 113, 192, 124)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("START Refresh Browser", 24, 72, 131, 25)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click START to refresh browser every 5 seconds", 32, 16, 234, 17)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Stop Refresh Browser", 176, 72, 115, 25)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click Stop to close window and stop refreshing the browser", 32, 40, 282, 17)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###
   While 1
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
  Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
   Exit
  Case $Button1
   Do
   $oIE = _IECreate ("somewebpage.com/home.aspx")
   Sleep 5000
   ContinueLoop
   Send("!F5") ;F5 key pressed to refresh browser
   Sleep 5000 ;After 5 seconds it refreshes browser again
   Until
  case $Button2
   ExitLoop
   Sleep 5000
   Exit
EndSwitch
WEnd

• Developers

Did you check the helpfile for the correct syntax?

Also install the full version of SciTE4AutoIt3, open the script in SciTE and hit F5 which will first run au3check and tells you about all syntax errors.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

that part I found out on my own, but now the script auto refreshes itself into a new IE browser window and the stop refresh button doesn't work

#include <IE.au3>
$Form1 = GUICreate("Quick_Change_Auto_Refreshv0.1", 347, 113, 192, 124)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click START to refresh browser every 5 seconds", 32, 16, 234, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click Stop to close window and stop refreshing the browser", 32, 40, 282, 17)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
   While 1
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
  Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
   Exit
  Case $Button1
   Do
   $oIE = _IECreate ("somepage.com/home.aspx")
   Sleep(5000) ;timer 5 seconds it refreshes browser again
   ContinueLoop
   Sleep(5000) ;timer 5 seconds it refreshes browser again
   Until $nMsg = "Exit"
  case $Button2
   ExitLoop
   Exit
EndSwitch
WEnd
Edited by dimitrib

This line shouldn't be inside the Do loop -> $oIE = _IECreate ("somepage.com/home.aspx")

Edited by Melba23
URL changed at OP's request

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

how would I close up this case $Button2 at the bottom of the script? the erorr is no matching "select" or Switch" statement.

#include <IE.au3>
$Form1 = GUICreate("Auto Refresh IE Window", 347, 113, 192, 124)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
HotKeySet("!{x}", "_Exit")
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3)
While 1
Sleep(30000) ; Tell the script to pause for 5 seconds
$nMSG = GUIGetMsg()
 Switch $nMSG
    Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    Exit
Case $Button1
    Do
        $nMSG = GUIGetMsg()
  $title = WinGetTitle("website - Internet Explorer", "")
If WinExists($title) Then ;
  WinActivate($title) ;
  WinWaitActive($title) ;
  Send("{F5}") ;
  Sleep (30000)
  Else
      Sleep (10)
  EndIf
  case $Button2
      $msg = "End Auto Refresh"
      Func _Exit() ;
EndFunc ;
EndSwitch
WEnd

You need to close the Do loop in the Case statement above the $button2 case statement.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

okay using the ctrl T option i was able to produce a beautiful script without errors. now there are two troubles with the project.

1) the buttons do not really work

2) the X button on top doesn't kill the script

3) it doesn't auto refresh at the specific intervals.

#include <IE.au3>
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3) ; This is to tell the script to only refresh the EXACT window, incase there are similar windows. Such as: Window 1, Window 2.
$oIE = _IECreate ("somepage.com/home.aspx")
   While 1 ; Main loop begins

$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
  Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
   Exit
  Case $Button1
   Do
    Sleep (30000) ; Sleep for 5 seconds
    $title = WinGetTitle("SomeTitle - Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    If WinExists($title) Then
        WinActivate($title)
        WinWaitActive($title)
    ContinueLoop
   Sleep (30000) ;After 5 seconds it refreshes browser again
  case $Button2
   Func _Exit()
 Sleep (30000)
   Exit
   EndFunc
EndSwitch
WEnd

I've corrected the numerous errors in your original script, and also made a lot of changes so that it will actually do what it is you're trying to do. It doesn't rely on using Send to try and send a command to a window, which is very unreliable if someone is using the computer at the same time. Plus it will only refresh the window you created when the script is run, so that you are 100% sure you're only refreshing that window, and doesn't activate the window all the time which would drive a normal user insane because the script is constantly shifting focus to another window every 5 seconds.

Look this script over and see what I have done with it, learn from this example and I think you'll be better off.

#include <IE.au3>
#region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#endregion ### END Koda GUI section ###
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3) ; This is to tell the script to only refresh the EXACT window, incase there are similar windows. Such as: Window 1, Window 2.
$oIE = _IECreate("somepage.com/home.aspx")
_IEErrorHandlerRegister("MyErrFunc")

While 1 ; Main loop begins
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1
            ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $Button1 = ' & $Button1 & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
            AdlibRegister("_Refresh", 5000) ; run the function every 5 seconds
        Case $Button2
            ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $Button2 = ' & $Button2 & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
            AdlibUnRegister("_Refresh") ; stop running the function
    EndSwitch
WEnd
Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit
Func _Refresh()
    $title = ObjName($oIE, 1)
    ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $title = ' & $title & @crlf & '>Error code: ' & @error & @crlf) ;### Debug Console
    If $title = "IWebBrowser2" Then
        _IEAction($oIE, "refresh") ; refreshes the page whether it has focus or not
    Else
        MsgBox(64, "Error", "The browser object doesn't exist, closing the script") ; the window was closed, close the script
        Exit
    EndIf ; Close the If/Then function
EndFunc   ;==>_Refresh
Func MyErrFunc()
    MsgBox(64, "Error", "An error has occurred, closing this script")
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc

EDIT: I wanted to mention that there are several ConsoleWrites in this demo to show you what's going on in the script as it's running. They are not needed to make the script run, just for demonstration purposes.

Edited by BrewManNH