generate strings

I want to generate all possible combinations of letters a-z and numbers 0-9 which have 6 characters.

For example

00000a

and etc, obviously there would be millions of them and the text file will be a few gigabytes but the question i want to ask is - how long would this take? A day? two? Is it even worth trying to put a code together?

it would take some time for an interpreted language like AutoIt because loops are slow but maybe you can try in assembly or c to gain some speed

edit:

use this code for 5 minutes to gives you an idea

$Charset = StringSplit('0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz','')

For $i1 = 1 To $Charset[0]
    For $i2 = 1 To $Charset[0]
        For $i3 = 1 To $Charset[0]
            For $i4 = 1 To $Charset[0]
                For $i5 = 1 To $Charset[0]
                    For $i6 = 1 To $Charset[0]
                        ConsoleWrite($Charset[$i1] & $Charset[$i2] & $Charset[$i3] & $Charset[$i4] & $Charset[$i5] & $Charset[$i6] & @CRLF)
                    Next
                Next
            Next
        Next
    Next
Next
Edited by Andreik

When the words fail... music speaks.

36*36*36*36*36*36 = 2176782336 bytes

So the txt file holding the numbers would be a bit over 2 Gbyte.

You can do it a lot faster if you only write every 36*36*36*36 loop. so from 000000 to 010000 it would be about 5secs on my 4Ghz PC so it takes about 500 seconds.

$Charset = StringSplit('0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz','')
$hFile = FileOpen("enum.txt",1)

For $i1 = 1 To $Charset[0]
    For $i2 = 1 To $Charset[0]
        $sStr = ""
        For $i3 = 1 To $Charset[0]

For $i4 = 1 To $Charset[0]

For $i5 = 1 To $Charset[0]

For $i6 = 1 To $Charset[0]
                        $sStr &= $Charset[$i1] & $Charset[$i2] & $Charset[$i3] & $Charset[$i4] & $Charset[$i5] & $Charset[$i6] & @CRLF
                    Next

Next

Next

Next
;~         ConsoleWrite($Charset[$i1] & $Charset[$i2] & $Charset[$i3-1] & $Charset[$i4-1] & $Charset[$i5-1] & $Charset[$i6-1] & @CRLF )
        FileWrite($hFile, $sStr)
    Next
Next

FileClose($hFile)

Good luck opening the txt file in notepad :oops:

Teamspeak 3 User Viewer - Quick and functional TS3 Query script, which shows online users.Cached Screenshot Deleter - Deletes older Fraps Screenshots if they exceed a specified limit.Unresolved Topics:Intercept and modify dragdrop text behaviour in scite

2Gbyte is actually nothing really. I have no intentions of opening the text file in notepad :oops:

Wow didn't expect u guys to come up with the code for this. Thanks!

Another issue would be - reading this data into a variable. I have a Maths problem which I won't get into since its not important and I'm trying to prove that u can solve it by permutating all possible solutions. So I would need to compare each string against some conditions.

Normally I would read the text file into an array and do a For $i=1 to $array [0] but in this case I guess that would not be possible

Edited by tsolrm

depends on the complexity and scale of the comparison you want to use on every permutation.

You could easily put all the content into one string variable, given that you have enough RAM in your machine. But that wont help us much witch further processing

So you could put the strings into a alarmingly big 1dim array.

But over time i've come to one conclusion about AutoIt and Arrays:

The bigger the array, the slower is any processing.

And with this amount of elements im sure you will exceed limitations of autoit and/or your PC very soon.

So why not make your comparison while the strings are created? If this is possible.

You would have to define your method a bit deeper so we can make the right assumptions.

Edit: found information about the exact limits:

From helpfile FAQ#15 What are the current technical limits of AutoIt v3?

Maximum string length: 2,147,483,647 characters

Arrays: A maximum of 64 dimensions and/or a total of 16 million elements

Edited by qsek
Teamspeak 3 User Viewer - Quick and functional TS3 Query script, which shows online users.Cached Screenshot Deleter - Deletes older Fraps Screenshots if they exceed a specified limit.Unresolved Topics:Intercept and modify dragdrop text behaviour in scite