Using it as a Service

Hey guys,

I have written an autoit program that launches a gui frontend. I don't want to use scheduler because it's not reliable most especially when machine is rebooted. Can I 've used srvany before to create a service out of a .exe. Will it work since it will be executing a gui?

Thanks guys!

Neil

I think that there are hassles regarding the extent that a service can interact with the user's desktop. Can you get away with using a Run/RunOnce/RunService registry entry?

I think that there are hassles regarding the extent that a service can interact with the user's desktop. Can you get away with using a Run/RunOnce/RunService registry entry?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't get what you mean? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks!

You don't need to use Task Scheduler to set a program to run on next startup. There are many ways to achieve this including creating an icon in the user's Startup menu, creating a registry entry under any of these keys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
depending on whether you want your program to run on just the next reboot or on every reboot.

I don't know more about services than I need to, but I remember having problems with a program that wanted to interact with the desktop (e.g. GUI) -- Windows wouldn't let it do anything until I fiddled around with settings (which is understandable because a service generally isn't meant to have such functionality -- it's a service).