Getting file name from file handle returned by createfile

I've stumbled into an issue related to retrieving a file name / path from an object handle, I can identify that the file handle is a handle for a file, but I'm stumped at getting the file name / path of which the handle is for, anyone know of any existing method implemented in autoit for doing this?

Currently I'm using winapiex function _WinAPI_GetObjectNameByHandle($hObject) to validate that it is indeed a file handle but I'd love to know of how to get the actual file location of which it belongs :oops:.

I've found this example but I'm not exactly fluent in moon-speak.

I mentioned this today in my LockFile UDF thread. Search WinAPIEx.au3 (it does all the moon translation for you) and then use _WinAPI_GetFinalPathNameByHandle.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

ApudAngelorum,

WinAPIEx.au3 comes complete with a help file. Yahied has also taken the trouble to cite MSDN links where appropriate.

kylomas

Agreed, he's spent alot of time improving a UDF I use practically everyday.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Works perfectly! Only problem is that the script freezes until I kill both instances of autoit3wrapper.exe and the script resumes operation as normal.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: Confirmed, for some reason the first instance of the autoit3wrapper.exe freezes my scripts operation until I kill it, but if I compile the script, everything works as expected. :oops:

Edited by ApudAngelorum

Do you have a small reproducer so we can look at it. Also could you specify the version of AutoIt and SciTE4AutoIt3 you're using.

UDF List:

ApudAngelorum,

I've run into something like this before. You might try setting the handle variable to 0 or "" when you are done with it.

kylomas

Do you have a small reproducer so we can look at it. Also could you specify the version of AutoIt and SciTE4AutoIt3 you're using.

I'm sorry, this wasn't really something wrong with the autoitwrapper, the problem was that I was performing the tests on scite which seemed to directly interfere with the operation of all of its child processes, my bad.

I've just realised who you are, I'm sure you previous handle wasn't on top of your image before.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I'm sorry, this wasn't really something wrong with the autoitwrapper, the problem was that I was performing the tests on scite which seemed to directly interfere with the operation of all of its child processes, my bad.

Just in case anyone is looking for help and ends up here regarding a similar issue and encounters a freezing script like me, the issue was really affiliated with system file object attributes.

File handles with these attributes should be avoided for some reason.

0x00120189
0x0012019f
0x00100000

Like I said provide a small reproducer and then we can see if the problem is actually those attributes (whatever they may be without sifting through the MSDN.)

UDF List:

I'm sorry for the late response guys, I feel asleep right after that post, here is exactly what I was doing~

Yesterday I was sifting through yashides winapiex examples and noticed a particular function that would enumerate some of a processes open handles, it reminded me of a post by manko and monoceres, from which I took a deep look at how they were avoiding a freezing script, the end result was this.

#region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6
#endregion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#include <Array.au3>
Global Const $hKERNEL32 = DllOpen("kernel32.dll")
Global Const $hNTDLL = DllOpen("ntdll.dll")
Global Const $Critical[13] = [ _; things to ignore
        'winlogon.exe', _
        'services.exe', _
        'csrss.exe', _
        'smss.exe', _
        'lsass.exe', _
        'alg.exe', _
        'svchost.exe', _
        'spoolsv.exe', _
        'wdfmgr.exe', _
        'dwm.exe', _
        'logonui.exe', _
        'wininit.exe', _
        'lsm.exe' _
        ]
Global $ReturnInf = _ListHwnds("scite.exe")
_ArrayDisplay($ReturnInf)

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _ListHwnds
; Description ...: Returns a list of obtainable handles in a specified process, some handles cannot be obtained.
; Syntax ........: _ListHwnds([$PID = 0[, $IgnoreSys = 0]])
; Parameters ....: $PID              - [optional] PID of process to retrieve hwnds from. Default is 0, which is all processes.
;                 $IgnoreSys           - [optional] True to ignore system files, false otherwise. Default is false.
;                 $FileObject         - [Internal] Ignore this parameter, it is used only by the function.
; Return values .: An array of hwnds and process inforamtion.
; Author ........: Yashied, monoceres, Manko, THAT1ANONYMOUSDUDE
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......: This function is a compilation of different peoples code, a lot of yashideds winapiex code
;                 was taken to create this, the reason I took functions apart and created this frankenstein-ish function
;                 is for speed, I must also give credit to everyone listed in Authors because I have also taken bits and
;                 snips of code from them.
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================

Func _ListHwnds($PID = 0,$IgnoreSys = 0, $FileObject = 0)
    If $PID Then
        $PID =  ProcessExists($PID)
        If Not $PID Then Return SetError(1,0,0)
    EndIf
    If $FileObject = 0 Then
        $FileObject = _ListHwnds(False,False,-1)
        If @error Then Return SetError(1,0,0)
    EndIf
    Local $tSHI
    Local $tHandle
    Local $pData
    Local $Ret
    Local $Size
    Local $Result[1][2]
    Local $ResultCount
    Local $IgnoreList
    Local $Temporariis
    $tSHI = DllStructCreate('ulong;byte[4194304]')
    $Ret = DllCall($hNTDLL, 'uint', 'ZwQuerySystemInformation', 'uint', 16, 'ptr', DllStructGetPtr($tSHI), 'ulong', DllStructGetSize($tSHI), 'ulong*', 0)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Else
        If $Ret[0] Then
            Return SetError(1, $Ret[0], 0)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    $pData = DllStructGetPtr($tSHI, 2)
    $Size = DllStructGetSize(DllStructCreate('ulong;ubyte;ubyte;ushort;ptr;ulong'))
    #Region - Globalization -
    If $FileObject = -1 Then
        ;#CS
        ;   In an attempt to make this globally operable with on a multitude of varying operating system types
        ;   I have taken the approach of discovering the system file object type by using this messy code
        ;   below in order to avoide depending on a static value that may not be accurate.
        ;#CE
        Local $tPOTI = DllStructCreate('ushort;ushort;ptr;byte[128]')
        For $i = 1 To DllStructGetData($tSHI, 1)
            $tHandle = DllStructCreate('ulong;ubyte;ubyte;ushort;ptr;ulong', $pData + ($i - 1) * $Size)
            If DllStructGetData($tHandle, 1) <> @AutoItPID Then ContinueLoop
            $Temporariis = Ptr(DllStructGetData($tHandle, 4))
            Local $Ret2 = DllCall($hNTDLL, 'uint', 'ZwQueryObject', 'ptr', $Temporariis, 'uint', 2, 'ptr', DllStructGetPtr($tPOTI), 'ulong', DllStructGetSize($tPOTI), 'ptr', 0)
            If @error Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            Else
                If $Ret2[0] Then
                    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
                EndIf
            EndIf
            Local $pData2 = DllStructGetData($tPOTI, 3)
            If Not $pData2 Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            EndIf
            Local $Length = DllCall($hKERNEL32, 'int', 'lstrlenW', 'ptr', $pData2)
            If @error  Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            EndIf
            $Length = $Length[0]
            If @error Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            EndIf
            If Not $Length Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            EndIf
            Local $tString = DllStructCreate('wchar[' & ($Length + 1) & ']', $pData2)
            If @error Then
                Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
            EndIf
            If DllStructGetData($tString, 1) == "File" Then;we found the type needed
                Return SetError(0,0,DllStructGetData($tHandle, 2));return it so we can use it to find them
            EndIf
        Next
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    #EndRegion - Globalization -
    Local $CurrentPID
    If $IgnoreSys Then
        For $I = 0 To UBound($Critical) - 1
            $Temporariis = ProcessList($Critical[$I])
            For $X = 1 To $Temporariis[0][0]
                $IgnoreList &= $Temporariis[$X][1] & "|"; buld a string of system PIDs to ignore
            Next
        Next
    EndIf
    For $i = 1 To DllStructGetData($tSHI, 1)
        $tHandle = DllStructCreate('ulong;ubyte;ubyte;ushort;ptr;ulong', $pData + ($i - 1) * $Size)
        $CurrentPID = DllStructGetData($tHandle, 1)
        If $CurrentPID <> 0 And $CurrentPID <> 4 Then
            If $PID Then
                If Not ($CurrentPID == $PID) Then ContinueLoop
            EndIf
            If $IgnoreSys Then
                If StringInStr($IgnoreList,$PID,2) Then ContinueLoop
            EndIf
            #region - Danger Zone -
            ;We need to avoid these attributes or we will freeze indefinately.
            If DllStructGetData($tHandle, 2) <> $FileObject Then ContinueLoop
            $Temporariis = DllStructGetData($tHandle, 6)
            If $Temporariis == 0x00120189 Then ContinueLoop
            If $Temporariis == 0x0012019f Then ContinueLoop
            If $Temporariis == 0x00100000 Then ContinueLoop
            #endregion - Danger Zone -
            $ResultCount += 1
            ReDim $Result[$ResultCount + 1][2]
            $Result[$ResultCount - 1][0] = $CurrentPID
            $Result[$ResultCount - 1][1] = Ptr(DllStructGetData($tHandle, 4))
        EndIf
    Next
    If Not $ResultCount Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Local $hSource
    Local $hObject
    Local $TempDat[1][4]
    Local $TempCount
    Local $LastPID
    Local $hTarget = DllCall($hKERNEL32, "handle", "GetCurrentProcess")
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    $hTarget = $hTarget[0]
    Local $struct = DllStructCreate("char[255];")
    Local $temp = DriveGetDrive("ALL")
    Local $drivesinfo[UBound($temp) - 1][2]
    For $i = 0 To UBound($drivesinfo) - 1
        $drivesinfo[$i][0] = $temp[$i + 1]
        DllCall($hKERNEL32, "dword", "QueryDosDevice", "str", $drivesinfo[$i][0], "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($struct), "dword", 255)
        $drivesinfo[$i][1] = DllStructGetData($struct, 1)
    Next
    Local $PUBLIC_OBJECT_TYPE_INFORMATION = "ushort Length;" & _
        "ushort MaximumLength;" & _
        "ptr Buffer;" & _ ;UNICODE_STRING struct
        "wchar Reserved[260];"
    Local $poti = DllStructCreate($PUBLIC_OBJECT_TYPE_INFORMATION)
    Local $devicestr
    Local $Solid
    DllCall($hNTDLL, "int", "RtlAdjustPrivilege", "int", 20, "int", 1, "int", 0, "int*", 0)
    For $i = 1 To UBound($Result) - 1
        If Not $LastPID Or $Result[$i][0] <> $LastPID Then
            If $LastPID Then DllCall($hKERNEL32, 'ptr', 'CloseHandle', 'ptr', $hSource)
            $hSource = DllCall($hKERNEL32, 'int', "OpenProcess", "int", 0x1F0FFF, "int", 0, "int", $Result[$i][0])
            If @error Then ContinueLoop
            $hSource = $hSource[0]
            If Not $hSource Then ContinueLoop
            $LastPID = $Result[$i][0]
        EndIf
        $hObject = DllCall($hKERNEL32, _
        "bool", "DuplicateHandle", _
                "handle", $hSource, _
                "handle", $Result[$i][1], _
                "handle", $hTarget, _
                "handle*", 0, _
                "dword", 0, _
                "bool", 0, _
                "dword", 2 _
        )
        If @error Then ContinueLoop
        $hObject = $hObject[4]
        If Not @error Then
            $Solid = False
            DllCall($hNTDLL, "ulong", "NtQueryObject", "ptr", $hObject, "int", 1, "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($poti), "ulong", DllStructGetSize($poti), "ulong*", "")
            $devicestr = DllStructCreate("wchar[" & Ceiling(DllStructGetData($poti, "Length") / 2) & "];", DllStructGetData($poti, "buffer"))
            $devicestr = DllStructGetData($devicestr, 1)
            For $y = 0 To UBound($drivesinfo) - 1
                If StringLeft($devicestr, StringLen($drivesinfo[$y][1])) = $drivesinfo[$y][1] Then
                    $Solid = StringUpper($drivesinfo[$y][0]) & StringTrimLeft($devicestr, StringLen($drivesinfo[$y][1]))
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            Next
            If $Solid Then
                $TempCount += 1
                ReDim $TempDat[$TempCount + 1][3]
                $TempDat[$TempCount - 1][0] = $Result[$i][0];pid
                $TempDat[$TempCount - 1][1] = $Result[$i][1];hwnd
                $TempDat[$TempCount - 1][2] = $Solid
            EndIf
            DllCall($hKERNEL32, 'ptr', 'CloseHandle', 'ptr', $hObject)
        EndIf
    Next
    DllCall($hKERNEL32, 'ptr', 'CloseHandle', 'ptr', $hSource)
    If $TempCount Then
        ReDim $TempDat[$TempCount][3]
    EndIf
    Return SetError(0, 0, $TempDat)
EndFunc   ;==>_ListHwnds
Edited by ApudAngelorum

My understanding of this is, if you're opening a file and getting a file handle when you open it, don't you already know which file you opened? Why are you trying to get the filehandle -> Filename link, you should already have that.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

My understanding of this is, if you're opening a file and getting a file handle when you open it, don't you already know which file you opened? Why are you trying to get the filehandle -> Filename link, you should already have that.

True, ideally this information should ideally be stored in an Array (for example).

UDF List: