loop in a loop

Hey All,

I have a loop within a loop, I can kind of see why it doesn't work becuase I want it to write all lines but it does one then moves onto the next file.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks!!

While 1
    Local $file = FileFindNextFile($search)
    If @error Then ExitLoop

Local $CountLines = _FileCountLines($file)

_FileWriteToLine($file, ($CountLines), "3", 1)
        While 1
            Local $line = FileReadLine($filer)
                If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
            FileWriteLine($file, $line)

WEnd
WEnd

Trying to understand what you want to achieve:

For all files you can find you want to write the number of records into the first record of the file. Right?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• _FileCountLines doesn't take a file handle, it needs a filename and path.
  • _FileWriteToLine doesn't take a file handle either, it needs a filename and path
  • If you use _FileWriteToLine it will either overwrite the previous line, or it will insert it, the way you have it written, it will replace the last line in the file.
  • You haven't declared a variable called $filer, yet you're trying to write text to a file with no information.
Please explain what you're trying to do with the above code and I will see if I can fix it for you.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ok,

So what I am doing is…

Loop For this file

Loop

Read/write

Read/write

Read/write

End of file reached, exit loop.

Back to parent loop For next file

Read/write

Read/write

Read/write

End of file reached, exit loop.

End of files

Exit loop

#include <File.au3>
; Open the text file and read it ready for writing.

; Prompt the user to run the script - use a Yes/No prompt (4 - see help file)
Local $answer = MsgBox(4, "SPF-Editor", "Warning all SPF's in the .exe's directory will change, ok?")

; Check the user's answer to the prompt (see the help file for MsgBox return values)
; If "No" was clicked (7) then exit the script
If $answer = 7 Then
                MsgBox(0, "SPF-Editor", "Buh Bye!")
                Exit
EndIf

MsgBox(0, "Running", "The program will prompt you when it has finished!")

Local $filer = FileOpen("text.txt", 0)

; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $filer = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file!!")
    Exit
EndIf

; Start finding files for writing.
; Shows the filenames of all files in the current directory
Local $search = FileFindFirstFile("*.spf*")

; Check if the search was successful
If $search = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Eeeeeroar!!")
    Exit
EndIf

While 1
    If @error Then ExitLoop

While 1
                                                Local $line = FileReadLine($filer)
                                                                If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
                                                FileWriteLine($file, $line)
                                WEnd
WEnd
                MsgBox(0, "Done", "The script has stopped and your files are edited!")

; Close the search handle mofo
FileClose($filer)
FileClose($search)

It worked for one file, but now ive tried to make it loop through all files it only writes the first line of text to each file. theres about 10 lines of text in text.txt.

Edited by gazeranco

Are you trying to overwrite the last line in each spf file, or are you wanting to add the lines to the end of it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

1# _FileCountLines doesn't take a file handle, it needs a filename and path.

I am not sure what you mean by this, but I get the desire effect. The last line in the file is overwritten with the number 3. I need to overwrite the last line as its like a #EOF type statement so I need that going back on the end after I write the new text.

2# _FileWriteToLine doesn't take a file handle either, it needs a filename and path

Again, not sure what a handle is but I think I have a variable with a file path, and again I have no idea what I am doing but it seems to work with that.

3# If you use _FileWriteToLine it will either overwrite the previous line, or it will insert it, the way you have it written, it will replace the last line in the file.

Yup, thats what I want with that bit.

4# You haven't declared a variable called $filer, yet you're trying to write text to a file with no information.

I have provided the rest of the code, I just gave you the bit that wa sbroken :doh: I appreciate how seeing it all probably makes it easier to help me :oops:

In the files provided there is a readme to the user, this might help.

Background:-

I produce drawings, the program that makes them just writes a text file with coordinates and text. I needed to add text to over 500 drawings. I wanted a program to add this text for me. That worked fine but the text was inside the code.

I want other people in my office to use this exe without editing code, so i tried to make it read what I want writing from a text file. This way the users cant mess my code up but they just edit text.txt and run the exe. All the drawings (.spf) in the folder get the desired text added.

Ahhh... I should of written all that to start off with! :bye:

It used to look like this... which works perfect. But not user friendly!

#include <File.au3>

If $search = -1 Then
    Exit
EndIf

While 1
    If @error Then ExitLoop

FileWriteLine($file, "63,3,1,300,0,0,0")
         FileWriteLine($file, "5.244,15.962,'A',3.000,0.000")
         FileWriteLine($file, "3")
         FileWriteLine($file, "20.244,15.962,'RL',3.000,0.000")
         FileWriteLine($file, "31.763,15.547,'10/11/10',3.000,0.000")
         FileWriteLine($file, "56.763,15.547,'ISSUED FOR FABRICATION',3.000,0.000")
         FileWriteLine($file, "831.440,4.802,'A',3.000,0.000")
         FileWriteLine($file, "-1")
    ;display a message showing me the file name during debugging.
    ;MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file)
WEnd

FileClose($search)

Kylomas:- I am using that to overwrite the last line of text... so count all the lines, (example) there's 100 lines so $CountLines = 100. So I write number "3" over the last line.

Here's how I'd do it without using anything other than file reads and writes, don't use _FileCountLines on large files because it will take you forever. As long as the files to be read can fit in memory, this should work for you.

#include <File.au3>

Local $answer = MsgBox(4, "SPF-Editor", "Warning all SPF's in the .exe's directory will change, ok?")

; Check the user's answer to the prompt (see the help file for MsgBox return values)
If $answer = 7 Then
    Exit
EndIf

Local $filer = FileOpen("text.txt", 0)

If $filer = -1 Then
    Exit
EndIf

If $search = -1 Then
    Exit
EndIf
Global $Text = "3" & @CRLF, $Array
Local $line = FileRead($filer) ; reads the entire file at one time
$Text &= $line ; adds the file to the $Text variable which contains the number 3 and a line feed

While 1
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    _FileReadToArray($file, $Array)
    $Array[$Array[0]] = $Text
    _FileWriteFromArray($file, $Array) ; writes $$Array to $File
WEnd

FileClose($filer)

FileClose($search)

Hey BrewManNH!

That works great! Only thing it doesn't do is overwrite the last line of txt, the last line in a .spf is "-1" this represents the end of file, i need to overwrite it.

Can I do this with out counting up to the last line, these text files can contain between 5,000 and 25,000 lines on average so it would be good to not count them.

let me see if I understand all this code this is way above me! :oops: please let me know if my understanding is correct?

Global $Text = "3" & @CRLF, $Array //This is declaring 2 global variables one called text and one calles array?

Local $file = FileFindNextFile($search) //No idea how this works...

If @error Then ExitLoop //Or this...

_FileReadToArray($file, $Array) //The file to read & the Array to put the info in.

$Array[$Array[0]] = $Text //hmmmm?? The first entry in the array = $text and i guess this pushes everything else down doesn't erase anything from the array??

Change this line:

; to this
$Array[$Array[0] - 1] = $Text
Edited by BrewManNH

gazeranco,

Try this (similar to BrewmanNH's)

#include <File.au3>
#include <array.au3>

If $answer = 7 Then
 Exit
EndIf
Local $filer = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "text.txt", 0)
If $filer = -1 Then
 Exit
EndIf
Local $filer_str = FileRead($filer)
If $search = -1 Then
 Exit
EndIf
While 1
 If @error Then ExitLoop
 Local $file_str = FileRead($file)
 Local $cnt   = StringSplit($file_str,@crlf,3)
 $cnt[UBound($cnt)-1] = UBound($cnt)
 FileWrite($file & '.new',_arraytostring($cnt,@crlf) & @CRLF & $filer_str)
WEnd
;FileClose($filer)
FileClose($search)

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

let me see if I understand all this code this is way above me! :oops: please let me know if my understanding is correct?

Global $Text = "3" & @CRLF, $Array //This is declaring 2 global variables one called text and one calles array?

Correct, I used one line to simplify it.

Local $file = FileFindNextFile($search) //No idea how this works...

If @error Then ExitLoop //Or this...

The @error will be set when there are no more files found that match the search string. So the exitloop is to jump out of the While loop when that occurs, otherwise you'd keep looping even though all files have been processed.

_FileReadToArray($file, $Array) //The file to read & the Array to put the info in.

$Array[$Array[0]] = $Text //hmmmm?? The first entry in the array = $text and i guess this pushes everything else down doesn't erase anything from the array??

$Array[0] will contain the number of lines that FileReadToArray has read from the file, I'm using this to overwrite the entry in the last spot in the array with the new text. Although if you try it with the above change, it should overwrite the line before the last line, which might be blank.

Change this line:

; to this
$Array[$Array[0] - 1] = $Text

Hey Brewman, no same results mate.

Before:-

'18           503X171X45CB                        7664   1a1                201011101530                        FB  8                            3           889       BEAM                                                                         2        bridge                     PB3    18                                                                             2D'
'null'

After:-

'18           503X171X45CB                        7664   1a1                201011101530                        FB  8                            3           889       BEAM                                                                         2        bridge                     PB3    18                                                                             2D'
'null'
5.244,15.962,'A',3.000,0.000
20.244,15.962,'RL',3.000,0.000
31.763,15.547,'10/11/10',3.000,0.000
56.763,15.547,'ISSUED FOR FABRICATION',3.000,0.000
831.440,4.802,'A',3.000,0.000

gazeranco,

Try this (similar to BrewmanNH's)

#include <File.au3>
#include <array.au3>

If $answer = 7 Then
Exit
EndIf
Local $filer = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "text.txt", 0)
If $filer = -1 Then
Exit
EndIf
Local $filer_str = FileRead($filer)
If $search = -1 Then
Exit
EndIf
While 1
If @error Then ExitLoop
Local $file_str = FileRead($file)
Local $cnt    = StringSplit($file_str,@crlf,3)
$cnt[UBound($cnt)-1] = UBound($cnt)
FileWrite($file & '.new',_arraytostring($cnt,@crlf) & @CRLF & $filer_str)
WEnd
;FileClose($filer)
FileClose($search)

kylomas

Nice try but no :oops:

RESULT:-

'null'

5.244,15.962,'A',3.000,0.000
20.244,15.962,'RL',3.000,0.000
31.763,15.547,'10/11/10',3.000,0.000
56.763,15.547,'ISSUED FOR FABRICATION',3.000,0.000
831.440,4.802,'A',3.000,0.000