Reflex v1.04 - An Ancient Video Game

Topher

This is an old thread.

An updated version with mouse and joystick support can be .

I first wrote Reflex for a Commodore 64 in the early 80s. It started out as Centipede but quickly took on a life of its own. Back then it played to the strengths of the machine and was enjoyed by my circle of friends. I have since written it for each type of machine I have acquired and for many of the programming languages I have learned. It is my 'hello world' program ;)

Back in the day, the Vic-20, Commodore 64, TRS-80 and Apple ][ all had joysticks, which made this game much easier and more fun to play.

Perhaps you'll find there is still fun to be had.

I've tried to maintain the spirit of the original graphics system while taking advantage of the increased resolutions and color depth. I have no skill in graphic design so all shapes are stolen from the net and massaged into the shapes I need. I make no apologies for the lackluster graphic quality. It is still miles ahead of the blocky shapes of the original.

The instruction manual.

The Sound and Image Files

Ver 1.4

High Score fixed, properly sorted now.

Cosmetic changes to Scoreboard to accommodate more systems

Reflex.au3I

Ver 1.3

Arcade Style High scores feature added

Ver 1.2

Fixed subscript problem if row or column was increased.

Added 'Auto' option in .ini file to specify the most rows or columns that will fit.

Ver 1.1

Force Field activation changed from holding down the space bar to being toggled by the space bar.

Force Field no longer takes a turn to power up/down.

Edited by Topher

[left][hr]

$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired
[/left][left]Reflex (Arcade game)[/left][left]IX (Board game)[/left][left]The Word Game (Word game)[/left][left]Plastic Sliding Squares Puzzle (Puzzle)[/left]

lol

It would have been much funnier if melba23 would have seen what I did there, I don't think you really got it since you're probably new here. I basically replaced the bad guys with his avatar since he's the moderator, and the worm thing is leaving a bunch of trojans around, someone should make a game based on moderating this forum, that would be a little hilarious.

Interesting, got >9000 errors while trying to compile ;)

I'm a compulsive poster. When I post something, come to read it at least 5 minutes later after the posting, because I will edit it. I edited even this signature a few minutes later after I wrote it.

@Newb Sorry I'm not versed enough in the compiler to even hazard a why.

I've got three different environments here and it compiles in them all for me.

What OS are you using (not that it should matter, I don't do anything tricky in the code)

[left][hr]

$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired
[/left][left]Reflex (Arcade game)[/left][left]IX (Board game)[/left][left]The Word Game (Word game)[/left][left]Plastic Sliding Squares Puzzle (Puzzle)[/left]

Interesting, got >9000 errors while trying to compile ;)

There seems to be a problem with the source code and line breaks

This line

FileInstall(".\Images\Forcefield.bmp", ".\Images\", 0)FileInstall(".\Sounds\Brickwall.mp3", ".\Sounds\", 0)
should be
FileInstall(".\Images\Forcefield.bmp", ".\Images\", 0)
FileInstall(".\Sounds\Brickwall.mp3", ".\Sounds\", 0)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Doesn't seem to work. Gives me:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) in /home/filedrop/public_html/files/db.php on line 6
Uh-oh, can't login to the database!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks, this version works great! No compile errors any more!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 month later...

Ver 1.4

High Score fixed, properly sorted now.

Cosmetic changes to Scoreboard to accommodate more systems

Sound is more stable.

[left][hr]

$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

Doctor Who mod for Reflex created by my niece.

Simply copy the files over the existing ones.

Edited by Topher

[left][hr]

$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired