The concept of ContinueCase

At this point, the operator ContinueCase is an operator unconditional jump in the operators conditional jump Select and Switch. And he was more in line with the name NextCase.

If you want to really check out some conditions Case, you have to write code like this:

$var = 4
$iFlagCaseElse = 1
Select
Case $var > 2
  If $var > 2 Then
   $iFlagCaseElse = 0
   ConsoleWrite('-> ' & $var & ' > 2' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
  ContinueCase
Case $var < 2
  If $var < 2 Then
   $iFlagCaseElse = 0
   ConsoleWrite('-> ' & $var & ' < 2' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
  ContinueCase
Case $var > 6
  If $var > 6 Then
   $iFlagCaseElse = 0
   ConsoleWrite('-> ' & $var & ' > 6' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
  ContinueCase
Case $var > 8
  If $var > 8 Then
   $iFlagCaseElse = 0
   ConsoleWrite('-> ' & $var & ' > 8' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
  ContinueCase
Case $var < 8 And $var <> 2
  If $var < 8 And $var <> 2 Then
   $iFlagCaseElse = 0
   ConsoleWrite('-> ' & $var & ' < 8' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
  ContinueCase
Case Else
  If $iFlagCaseElse Then
   ConsoleWrite('-> (Case Else) $var = 2' & @CRLF)
  EndIf
EndSelect

My question is - can change is the concept of ContinueCase?

My logic is not always right -- sometimes, I have to change it.

Take for instance, these two lines are exactly the same:

Case $var > 2
    If $var > 2 Then

Do you see any difference? Case is an IF Statement.

Would you like to modify your code?

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

My question is - can change is the concept of ContinueCase?

No. You only can use other Autoit statements like If Then Else etc.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Is there a real case you try to solve or do you just want to see how ContinueCase works?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

yes.

now ... do you have to check every Case ... or just one?

think about it.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

• Moderators

asdf8,

I find your script in the first post a very confusing example of how the current implementation functions - I suggest something like this explains more clearly the current ContinueCase:

Switch $iVar
    ; Save and exit
    Case 1
        ; Do saving of vars etc here
        ContinueCase
    ; Exit directly
    Case 0
        ; Clean up code goes here and is run in both cases
        Exit
EndSwitch

Are you suggesting that the function should be renamed "NextCase" and retain the same functionality - or are you suggesting that the functionality should be altered - or both - or something else entirely? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

asdf8,

Consider this from the help file

Normally in a Select or Switch block, a case ends when the next Case statement is encountered. Executing the ContinueCase will tell AutoIt to stop executing the current case and start executing the next case.

You might assume that "...executing the next case..." implies evaluating the case expression, however, that is NOT true. The code in the next case stmt is executed regardless of the expression in the case stmt.

Good Luck,

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Are you suggesting that the function should be renamed "NextCase" and retain the same functionality - or are you suggesting that the functionality should be altered - or both - or something else entirely?

I wanted to draw attention to the illogic of conduct and the name of the operator ContinueCase.

As to my opinions, that was well add to ContinueCase optional parameter to except existing algorithm of the work, possible was check the condition in the following Case.

• Moderators

asdf8,

I do not find the name ContinueCase as illogical as you do, but I can see why some might. :)

However, I am not sure that your suggested improvement is a good idea. Switch and Select structures are normally limited to a single Case being actioned within them - I see your suggestion as making them little more than a series of independent If structures which could be quite simply coded using the current syntax. But go ahead and post a Trac ticket if you wish - the Devs will decide. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I do not find the name ContinueCase as illogical as you do, but I can see why some might.

This is not a continuation of the processing of cases, this is an unconditional jump to the next case.

Apparently, due to the low productivity, AutoIt is little used for data processing, otherwise the discrepancy would have noticed long ago.

But go ahead and post a Trac ticket if you wish - the Devs will decide

It is a pity that in this topic there was no argument from developers.

Most people find no need to use ContinueCase at all, so that's probably why it hasn't been commented on.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This is not a continuation of the processing of cases, this is an unconditional jump to the next case.

Good point.

Usually, a good IF Statement or series of statements within the Case will do nicely.

• Moderators

asdf8,

It is a pity that in this topic there was no argument from developers

They rarely look in the Help sections of the forum - that is why I suggested opening a Trac ticket. ;)

M23

Spoiler