Assignment and Copy Constructors in C++ Classes [SOLVED]

twitchyliquid64

Hi all,

Im building a variant class that I want to make work, but Im running into compiler issues; issues that highlight that I have no idea what is going on under the hood for operators in C++.

My class looks something like:

class Variant
{
public:
    //Constructors
    Variant(void) : type(VAR_INTTYPE), int64value(0), databuffsize(0), databuff((char*)0) {}
    Variant(int);
    Variant(long long);
    Variant(double);
    Variant(const char* in);
    Variant(char* in);
    Variant(Variant & in);//Copy Constructor
    ~Variant();//Destructor

//Operators
    Variant& operator= (Variant&);
    Variant& operator= (Variant);
    //Other irrelvant code...
}

And Im trying to do things like:

Variant test;
int main()
{  
    test = Variant(20); //btw, I have no intention of implementing assignment ops for primitive types for various reasons
    Variant lol(7);
    lol = test;
    return 0;
}

In GCC (mingw) this is throwing errors like:

error: no matching function to call for 'Variant::Variant(Variant)'

Any ideas what constructors or operators I am missing? I have looked around and cannot find any solution to my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by twitchyliquid64

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Copy constructor is not const correct. Also, did you actually implement the copy constructor or just declare it? If you did declare it in a separate file you didn't make it inline, did you?

all the methods listed there are fully implemented in the variant.cpp file.

I'm pretty sure i inlined it ... is that bad? file size isn't an issue.

what do you mean by not const correct? do you mean i need a constructor with a const variant reference as the parameter?

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Thanks everyone for your help. In the end the problem was that my copy constructor needed to accept a const reference rather than just a reference.