Faster: if / elseif or Case?

Right now I have 7 elseif starements like this:

If X Then
ElseIf Y Then
ElseIf Z Then
Else

Would it be faster if I used a Select Case instead? When using elseif, does it check each elseif, or once a condition is satisfied it doesn't check the others?

From the helpfile:

If...ElseIf...Else...EndIf : If the expression is true, the first statement block is executed. If not, the first true ElseIf block is executed. Otherwise, the "Else" block is executed.

Select...Case...EndSelect : If the expression is true the following statements up to the next Case or EndSelect statement are executed. If more than one of the Case statements are true, only the first one is executed.

From the helpfile:

If...ElseIf...Else...EndIf : If the expression is true, the first statement block is executed. If not, the first true ElseIf block is executed. Otherwise, the "Else" block is executed.

Select...Case...EndSelect : If the expression is true the following statements up to the next Case or EndSelect statement are executed. If more than one of the Case statements are true, only the first one is executed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

run this to see it for yourself

$i = 3

select 
case $i > 1
    MsgBox(0,"case","first")
case $i > 2
    MsgBox(0,"case","second")
EndSelect

Yeah, the second case isn't executed.

I pointed the difference of both here, according to the documentation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, your explanation was right on, and probably didn't need any further elaboration, and i didn't mean to imply otherwise. i just like to give a practical example when possible... old habits die hard...