Overlay GUI

kritya

Hi,

I was trying to make an overlay GUI which could be displayed above all the open windows(including games , etc)

I tried to do something with Koda and made something(code is below) it works for all windows except full screen games.

Is the some style or ex-style I have missed or added an extra one ?

If there is any other way of making an overlay that too would of course work ;)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 615, 440, -1, -1, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_GUI,$WS_MAXIMIZEBOX,$WS_SIZEBOX,$WS_THICKFRAME,$WS_TABSTOP,$DS_MODALFRAME), BitOR($WS_EX_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,$WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW,$WS_EX_TOPMOST,$WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE,$WS_EX_LAYERED))
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit

EndSwitch
WEnd

Thanks

This works for me:

GUISetStyle(BitOr($WS_POPUP + $WS_VISIBLE), 0x08000000)
Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

This works for me:

GUISetStyle(0x90000000, 0x08000000)

You should be using the style variables in that example so that the OP knows what you're doing with the styles, rather than making everyone look up what those numbers translate to.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You should be using the style variables in that example so that the OP knows what you're doing with the styles, rather than making everyone look up what those numbers translate to.

The extended style has no variable. The Regular style is $WS_POPUP + $WS_VISIBLE

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I see that now, about the extended style, there is a MSDN variable for it (WS_EX_NOACTIVATE), but it's not included in the GUIConstantsEx.au3 or WindowsConstants.au3 files.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I see that now, about the extended style, there is a MSDN variable for it (WS_EX_NOACTIVATE), but it's not included in the GUIConstantsEx.au3 or WindowsConstants.au3 files.

I have reported it as a help file issue here

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Should be put into Trak, because it's not a help file issue, it's a content issue for the xConstants files.

Thanks for the replies

But using

BitOr($WS_POPUP + $WS_VISIBLE), 0x08000000)

Gives me an error.

J:urt connectorte.au3(5,42) : ERROR: BitOR() [built-in] called with wrong number of args.

GUISetStyle(BitOr($WS_POPUP + $WS_VISIBLE)

Edited by kritya

GUISetStyle(BitOr($WS_POPUP, $WS_VISIBLE)

Ok. But it still doesnt works on full screen games.

and I know some softwares like Teamspeak 3 and Mumble who have overlay which do work.

As far as I know, those examples display in the Framebuffer or Viewpoint. This means they do not use their own Window but instead display in the game window itself.

Secondly, why do you want to have a window on top of full screen games?

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

• 2 months later...

Just for curiosity, it's possible or not with Autoit?

Can be useful to have a always-on-top GUI whatever full-screen game/apps/things on the screen, example like a clock

I see software like XFire , TeamViewer or Mumble ( http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ ) can do this, so maybe is possible also with autoit, i dunno :D

Edited by johnmcloud

oh please man do it!

I'm searching for a timer over a games for a loooot of time, but is impossible to find :( and time goes fast when you playing.

So johnmcloud if you can make it you will be mbff :D

mbff? What? :D

Anyway i have some problem to make this:

1) I don't understand the AutoHotKey syntax

2) How to parent an autoit GUI ( child ) into an external application ( parent ), i think with DllCall but i don't know where to set

3) The question of +WS_CHILD -WS_POPUP isn't clear for me, you need to put after/before?

If someone help me to make an autoit version, you can do everything you want, a timer, a browser, a chat etc... and i can help you, but without an help i can't do more.

We need only to wait...

Edited by johnmcloud