Securing something to a flash drive using DriveGEtSerial?

I want to make a program that only runs on the flashdrive its assigned to and I do not feel like getting into registration keys and all of that so I began to think of another possible way this might work...this is what I came up with

if(DriveGetSerial("D:\")<>2883607200)Then
ProcessClose("runner.exe")
Exit
EndIf

Is it really this easy or would it not work? I assume every flash drive has its own serial and i checked this with a few of my own so cant you just check the serial of the flash drive and not run the file if they dont match?

I assume every flash drive has its own serial...

Only hard drives have an unique serial numbers, not a flash drives. The number that returns DriveGetSerial() will exist until the first format a drive.

Edited by Yashied

Only hard drives have an unique serial numbers, not a flash drives. The number that returns DriveGetSerial() will exist until the first format a drive.

My tests show that DriveGetSerial only obtains the Volume Serial (regardless of the media) not a hardware serial.

May suggest this?

Provides a hardware id of a USB device rather than a partition serial number that is lost upon re-formatting.

One thing to bear in mind with this

I have encountered different pen drives with the same serial, mass produced ones etc

The way i got round it was to have a hidden ini file on the drive with a long serial encrypted on it

So the drive serial was only part of the equation

That way i could make it recognize my drive every time

...I have encountered different pen drives with the same serial, mass produced ones etc

I can't deny this possibility, but I can imagine that you'd run into issues having two drives with the same PNPID plugged in at the same time.

Doesn't seem like it be an issue to me though.