AutoIt Icon is slow on one laptop.

Hello,

On my work laptop, WXP SP3, browsing (w.explorer) to a folder of AutoIt files is slow. Sometimes it locks up for many seconds, sometimes the files all appear with default icon then sequentially change to AutoIt icons taking 4 sec per file. CPU is 50% all this time. Other file types appear instantly. In the start menu structure AutoIt items are similarly slow to appear.

I had 3.3.6.1, updated to 3.3.8.1 - problem remains.

My home laptop, also WXP SP3, does not have the problem.

Richard.

• 10 months later...

I've tried a couple of things recommended to tidy the icon cache, and increase its size, but nothing helped. I know this problem is only on one computer, and it's very annoying.

The fault only happens with AutoIt icons, so I started looking at them with Visual Studio. E.g. C:\Programs\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Icons\AutoIt_Main_v10_256x256_RGB-A.ico which I guessed is the icon for compiled files.

In that file there are 10 images, and one is "2573 * 1293 16777216 colors", and all blue (as far as I can see). If I delete this image the file shrinks from 87 KB to 25 KB.

That didn't get used by default, I tried to see which is the default icon, by deleting them all, but Aut2exe.exe still found its usual icon. So I made my own one, from AutoIt_Main_v10_48x48_RGB-A.ico by deleting all but the two smallest images (final file 2 KB). Then I re-compiled all my .au3 using this one, and I think the problem is gone. (The size of the .exe-s are reduced by 25 KB.)

So:

- Which is the icon that Aut2Exe gives each .exe by default?

- In AutoIt_Main_v10_256x256_RGB-A.ico is that large plain blue image intended to be there?

- and what is upx.exe?

Richard

I think it uses any of the ones ending in _RGB-A, simply because you don't normally use the computer in 256 colors, do you?

- In AutoIt_Main_v10_256x256_RGB-A.ico is that large plain blue image intended to be there?

I don't have any plain blue image, check attachment.

upx.exe is the exe compressor, i believe.

post-68092-0-80720900-1364154698_thumb.p

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Thanks. re 'plain blue image' I have only seen this as one of the 10 images when editing the file. It makes the file 87KB. I don't know if it is ever visible. I don't use 256 colors. I'd be happy with B+W if it didn't get stuck. I don't know if it is fixed, caching delays finding out if the fault is there.

In your icon-editor, please try that pull-down, "256 * 256 ..." and see all 10, including "2573 * ..." - that's not an icon, it's a screen image!

I've realised you have thumbnails of all 10, and where you have one "256 * 256", I have "2573 * 1293" - same on 2 PCs. file dated 7-3-2010.

Edited by RichardL

In your icon-editor, please try that pull-down, "256 * 256 ..." and see all 10, including "2573 * ..." - that's not an icon, it's a screen image!

The pull-down allows me to select all the images visible, no more.

And the biggest resolution available is that one with 256x256

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

• 7 months later...

I tried all the web recommendations to fix icon-cache problems - no help.  Tried making a new, very small icon, 16*16 only - some improvement.  I guess that windows doesn't realise that it's the same icon on *.exe and loads each separately.    Changed to using .a3x - problem gone (i.e. avoided), and saved some disk space as well.