UltraEdit IDE Enhancements

Stumpii

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@xcal - I will look into these. Thanks for letting me know.

@mrRevoked - That is a hard question. I would suggest that you try each one for a week to see what features are most valuable to you. I would say from looking at the screenshots for each that Ultraedit has the broadest range features. Those features may not of any use to you though. I cannot say that I have used all the features in the years I have been using it.

If you are only looking for a editor for AutoIt then SciTE may be best for you. I think that SciTE and Ultraedit are the only editors that have features specifically for AutoIt above and beyond simple syntax highlighting. I don't know if anyone is extending the other editors in this way.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Stumpii

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

I have uploaded v1.8.0 to my website (see first post).

This version includes the following changes:

1) Installation is simplified (no need to select UltraEdit or UEStudio). The installer with install only what is needed.

2) Installing without the AutoIt Debugger will not raise an error.

3) Function Tooltips have been included. See the first post screens shot to see an example. For PaulIA, I also added included the SciTE User CallTips file in the popup list and added an AutoIt4UE User Calltips list as well. This is one feature I really wanted to add, so I am really happy I could add it. Try and break it if you can. Note that this will only run when right clicking a file and selecting 'Edit with...'. I will try and find an easy way to implement this when starting from a .prj file.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

I downloaded the latest version and ran into a couple of problems:

1. This is probably my fault, but I did not have the full version of SciTE loaded, just the one that comes with AutoIt. Might want to make a clarification in the installation instructions.

2. I could not get the function call tips to work. Is there something that I need to do other than install your package for this to work?

3. When I load a script in UltraEdit, the AutoIt4UE starts in the task bar, but it is consuming 50% of my CPU.

Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt

I downloaded the latest version and ran into a couple of problems:

1. This is probably my fault, but I did not have the full version of SciTE loaded, just the one that comes with AutoIt. Might want to make a clarification in the installation instructions.

2. I could not get the function call tips to work. Is there something that I need to do other than install your package for this to work?

3. When I load a script in UltraEdit, the AutoIt4UE starts in the task bar, but it is consuming 50% of my CPU.

Let me try the AutoIt install of SciTE. I have noticed a problem in that if the 'User Calltips.txt' is not in the install folder, it does not work. Create this file (can be empty) and see if it makes a difference. The tooltip should appear when entering '('. My "Helper' runs a 0% CPU usage, so adding the file may help.

Edited by Stumpii

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried to install AUTOIT4UE under Vista, but after the download the installer did not start running, neither directly after the download nor when I tried to start the installer manually.

I then attempted the same under XP Home Edition and got the error message (even after a second download from http://www.thefoolonthehill.net/AutoIt_AutoIt4UE.htm )

"NSIS Error

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.

This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)"

Has anyone seen this before?

Autoit 3.2.2.0 runs fine under XP, as does Ultraedit version 12.20b+1

Minor correction: Under Vista, the same error message appeared (but didn't come forward, instead was hiding).

Appears the file on the server was corrupt. Try downloading it now.

That did it!

Thanks

(I was afraid Vista was acting up again ...)

Next I'll see, if I can get your debugger running on Vista. I seem to recall that some .NET stuff needed to be present for it to work, though.

That did it!

Thanks

(I was afraid Vista was acting up again ...)

Next I'll see, if I can get your debugger running on Vista. I seem to recall that some .NET stuff needed to be present for it to work, though.

You will need .Net 2.0 Framework installed.

You will need .Net 2.0 Framework installed.

Thanks. I found .NET 3.0 was already installed, just not yet all modules (or are they functions?) activated.

Does "an error message about '$oDebugWrapper.ExitProgram' may appear. If this is the case, get the latest AutoIt beta, or make sure that you are running the program with the beta version, not the release version, if you have v3.1.1.100 or later." still apply in the "The Basics" ? I would think not, but ...

So far, things make sense, except that I get some error message about "System.UnauthorizedAccessException" relating to "Dockpanel.config", when trying to close a debug window. But since I haven't read your forum thread about the debugger yet, I'll wait until I'm sure I'm better informed, before asking dumb questions.

A question about the use of UE project (.prj) files: Do you usually have a seperate .prj files for each AutoIt project, or like I do, not use a .prj file at all? What I have been doing is based around having one AutoIt .prj file that is loaded whenever a .au3 file is loaded. That way any changes made to the project are global. The project is only really used for the project toolbar anyway.

Just for statistical reasons :whistle: : I've been using project files since version 3 of Ultraedit, mostly for editing PHP scripts for web pages. That way it's easy to have all the relevant and related files open simultaneously. When changing a variable name, it can be done across the entire project, rather than one file at the time.

Oh, and for browser I use Opera, which also lets you save all pages (tabbed) related to one single project as sessions - makes life sooo much easier. (For example I work on trading stuff and the session called "trading" loads about 25 crucial web pages of information at once)

I like SCiTE for editing/running au3 scripts, but the one feature that I found sorely missing when I started using Autoit, was the lack of a search across all open files. Now I intend using an UltraEdit project file in parallel with the Autoit project.

Thanks. I found .NET 3.0 was already installed, just not yet all modules (or are they functions?) activated.

Does "an error message about '$oDebugWrapper.ExitProgram' may appear. If this is the case, get the latest AutoIt beta, or make sure that you are running the program with the beta version, not the release version, if you have v3.1.1.100 or later." still apply in the "The Basics" ? I would think not, but ...

So far, things make sense, except that I get some error message about "System.UnauthorizedAccessException" relating to "Dockpanel.config", when trying to close a debug window. But since I haven't read your forum thread about the debugger yet, I'll wait until I'm sure I'm better informed, before asking dumb questions.

You still need 3.1.1.100 or later. Obviously the latest version will work as well. Please post in that thread rather than this one to avoid confusion.

Thanks,

Stumpii

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Stumpii,

I am just curious... the tooltips that you created... can it be ported for any other programming language? Meaning... I want to create tooltips with description and stuff for a scripting language that is similar to C... within UltraEdit. I have already created a wordlist for it and it works.. but was wondering if I could add tooltips to it. So AutoIT came to mind... and yours is the first post I have seen that has actually embeded AutoIT into UltraEdit.

I am still learning AutoIT btw... and it would be of great help if you can give me some sense of direction...

Thx,

• 1 month later...

Does this still work?

Trying to figure out if it's me, or the script.

It should still work, but I am no longer updating this project. Because of three reasons really:

1. Because IDM keep changing how UE and UEStudio works with each new version. I spend more and more time just keeping working.

2. I have reached the limits of what I can add to UE and UEStudio.

3. I have added most of the functionality that I wanted in UE/UEStudio into my AutoIt Debugger.

I really have no incentive to continue developing this.

Stumpii,

I am just curious... the tooltips that you created... can it be ported for any other programming language? Meaning... I want to create tooltips with description and stuff for a scripting language that is similar to C... within UltraEdit. I have already created a wordlist for it and it works.. but was wondering if I could add tooltips to it. So AutoIT came to mind... and yours is the first post I have seen that has actually embeded AutoIT into UltraEdit.

I am still learning AutoIT btw... and it would be of great help if you can give me some sense of direction...

Thx,

Take a look at these file in the AutoIt4UE folder:

AutoIt4UE Helper.au3

FuncPop4UE.au3

I think that they cover the tooltips.

• 4 years later...

Well since the download link on Mr. Stumpii's web site is currently bad I've attached the last build I happen to have laying around.

I've also attached some updated files for use with UltraEdit.

I'll be looking to update the work of Mr. Stumpii and submitting it to him for an offical release.

I'm not looking to take over maintainership...just not wanting this wonderful bit of software to die so soon.

To apply the color scheme you'll need to use a tool created by rhapdog called UltraEdit Companion Utility.

The AutoIt v3.x.x.x files should be extracted to ether

%AppData%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\

Or

%AppData%\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\

Depending on OS.

Then depending on file extension...moved into the sub folders there.

Word File (*.uew)

.\wordfiles\

Template File (*-tpl.xml)

.\templates\language\

Tag List (*.uet)

.\

AutoIt4UE_Setup_v1.8.0.rar

UE Color Scheme TangoDark ALT.rar

AutoIt v3.3.12.0.rar

Edited by Nologic

Okay I created a script to generate Word & Tag files for UltraEdit/UEStudio. You still need SciTE4AutoIt installed...as the script pulls info from the documents created for it.

When running the script it will open both the AutoIt and the UDF help files this is for creating the Tag files...it'll close the files once done. Just don't be surprised by it.

Also you'll see a console pop up for a second, this is doing a quick edit to the Word file, sorting words & limiting line length...yeah this could have been done in AutoIt...and I'll likely come back and do just that. Just time is sort of in short supply right now...so letting somethings slip that I would other wise take care of.

Now once the script has completed...it should have backed up your original files, and placed the new ones where they need to be. Please note there is no custom color scheme info preserved from the old word file...nor is there new color data added...so expect stock colors to appear till you re-apply your favorite color scheme.

In the future I'll try and preserve this info.

Course anyone is welcome to clean up my code and add in new or missing features. :)

** Update **

Should now preserved Color Scheme
Now creates Smart Templates for UE v18+

UltraEdit Create AutoIt Tag & Word Files.rar

Edited by Nologic