Various gui objects set, then button click based on those

Ok so I am trying to learn how to use autoit to make a nice utility for myself at work. What the user will do is choose a radio button, click a line of text in a list view, then pick another item in another radio button group. Then a button press will run an exe that is at a path based on those option picked earlier.

So I already have an XML setup with paths and all that, right now im making the UI of the tool.

I am learning each little piece as I come to it, what i don't get is the number returning for my variable that is assigned to my radio buttons.

If i do guictrlread then i get the text of the radio button... which is ok i guess but why does just the variable itself show up as 5.. I would think if the radio is selected it would say true/1.

Also if anybody knows off hand, how do i make the radio buttons unselectable as well, not huge but it annoys me when testing what im trying to do.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
EBMAIN()
Func EBMAIN()
   Local $main
   GUICreate("My GUI", 600, 400)
   GUICtrlCreateGroup("Path", 20, 14, 160, 90)
   $assR = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Test Assigned", 24, 30, 150, 20)
   $appR = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Testing Approved", 24, 50, 150, 20)
   $mapB = GUICtrlCreateButton("Map", 20, 200, 100, 35)
   GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
   While 1
   $main = GUIGetMsg()
   Select
   Case $main = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
   Exit
   Case $main = $mapB
   If GUICtrlRead($assR) = 1 Then
      ;         guictrl read displays test assigned
      msgbox(0, "Button clicked", "radio button = " & GUictrlread($assR, 1))
   ElseIf GUICtrlRead($appR) = 1 Then
      ;          why is this returning 5?
      msgbox(0, "button clicked", "radio button = " & $appR)
   Else
      MsgBox(0, "try again", "try again!")
   EndIf
   EndSelect
   WEnd
   GUIDelete()
EndFunc

Hmm ok i think i figured out some of my issue, GUICtrlRead(var, 1) will return the radio buttons name... the one in quotes. Then guictrlread(var) will return 1 as i was looking for and expected to see. while just the variable will return 5... why? no clue but hopefully i wont need to use that.

A radio button when checked equals $GUI_CHECKED (1), when it's not selected it will return $GUI_UNCHECKED (4) when you use GUICtrlRead($radio). If you want it to return only 0 and 1 you would need to use something like this BitAND(GUICtrlRead($radio), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED, this will return 1 if checked, and 0 if it's not checked.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Turns out when i use guictrlread($radio) it is returning a 1. Which i think is all i need as of now.

The new issue I seem to be having is, my 3 radio buttons, when one is enabled/checked i need it to load a different list of data in this list i have.

So i tried that: if guictrlread($radio1) = 1 then guictrlsetdata(-1, "a set ofdata") elseif guictrlread($radio2) = 1 then ect

When enabling/checking a radio button the list box does not populate with any data. I am guessing its because I am not telling the setdata part what list to set the data to? Thats what i plan on checking next, see if that -1 is really like "pick the list that was just created above this setdata command. I just saw this post and wanted to reply before starting my search.

Thnx for the reply!

Now I can kinda get this working but its still broken. I can add something like:

GUICtrlSetData($versL, "12.0|11.1|11.0|10.8|10.7|10.6|10.5|10.4|10.3|10.2|10.1|10.0")
EndIf

THis is in my While 1 loop, so when i click the radio button it will keep checking the radio button and keep filling in the list i have. If i take it out of the while loop it will never fill the list. I am not sure why it doesnt detect that the radio button was clicked... maybe theres some sort of buttonactivate or something... ill keep looking.

Try this, I don't have the information for your $versL so I commented it out, but it should work as written to demonstrate how to see that the radio button was clicked.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
EBMAIN()
Func EBMAIN()
    Local $main
    GUICreate("My GUI", 600, 400)
    GUICtrlCreateGroup("Path", 20, 14, 160, 90)
    $assR = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Test Assigned", 24, 30, 150, 20)
    $appR = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Testing Approved", 24, 50, 150, 20)
    $mapB = GUICtrlCreateButton("Map", 20, 200, 100, 35)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    While 1
        $main = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $main
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
            Case $mapB
                    ;         guictrl read displays test assigned
                    MsgBox(0, "Button clicked", "radio button = " & GUICtrlRead($assR, 1))
                ElseIf GUICtrlRead($appR) = 1 Then
                    ;          why is this returning 5?
                    MsgBox(0, "button clicked", "radio button = " & GUICtrlRead($appR, 1))
                Else
                    MsgBox(0, "try again", "try again!")
                EndIf
            Case $assR
                MsgBox(64, "", "Test Assigned clicked")
;~              GUICtrlSetData($versL, "12.0|11.1|11.0|10.8|10.7|10.6|10.5|10.4|10.3|10.2|10.1|10.0")
            Case $appR
                MsgBox(64, "", "Testing Approved clicked")
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>EBMAIN

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

THANK YOU!!!!

I dont really get these switch/case type things yet. The only reason TRYING to write this stuff up is to learn and it will be a tool a few of my co-workers can use. Mainly to map drives and run an exe from the mapped location.

The locations are held in an XML file so im sure i will be posting again soon asking for help ;).

Thank you again sir!

Another issue with this same thing, I click the first radio that fills in the versions of 12.0 11.1 11.0 ect. But after setting up another radio button that will list similar version but not exactly the same it leaves what was previously caused by hitting the first button.

SO click the first radio, i get 12.0 11.1 then click the other button i get 12.0 12.0 11.1 11.1 in the list. I think for each case I will have to start with clearing the list. I will start looking to find how to do that. Just posting now before leaving work incase somebody has an idea for this so i can see it when i get home.

I was thinking about doing something like: ($assR is a radio button, $versL is a list for version that assR should enter the versions in that list.)

Case $assR

GUICtrlSetData($versL, "")

GUICtrlSetData($versL, "all my versions here")

This just seems like a crappy way of doing it... setting it to blank?

Edit: apparently i just got rights to edit... i didnt know. I would have edited my past post if i knew that ;)

Edited by ledigeine

From the help file:

For Combo or List control :

If the "data" corresponds to an already existing entry it is set as the default.

If the "data" starts with GUIDataSeparatorChar "|" or is an empty string "" the previous list is destroyed.

GUICtrlSetData($versL, "|all my versions here")

Start the string with "|" to clear the listbox before adding the new information.

Edited by BrewManNH

Thank you once again, that worked perfectly. Also was having an issue with not seeing a scroll bar but i just had to set the style to -1... i thought it was saying by default the style should have it. but that was not the case.