getting members from nested upon nested groups

i am trying to pull the members of group A. sometimes group A has a nested group B in as a member. this sometimes carries onto several nested groups *bleh*. i am trying to build an array of members and which parent group they belong to.

i am trying to find the most efficient way of doing this... here's what I have so far but this only handles up to 3 nested groups. problem is im finding some groups have more than a few nested groups!

hope this makes sense..

appreciate the help!

For $y = 0 To UBound($members) - 1  ;a list of memebers from Group A
    If $members[$y] = "" Then ContinueLoop

$member_count += 1

If StringInStr($members[$y], "@") = 0 And StringInStr($members[$y], "CN=") = 0 Then ;this is how i know if the Group A member is also a group (hence referred to as Group B)

$members_2 = GetGroup_Members($members[$y]) ;pulls members of nested Group B

For $z = 0 To UBound($members_2) - 1
      If $members_2[$z] = "" Then ContinueLoop

$member_count += 1

If StringInStr($members_2[$z], "@") = 0 And StringInStr($members_2[$z], "CN=") = 0 Then ;again this is how i know if the Group B member is also a group (hence referred to as Group C)

$members_3 = GetGroup_Members($members_2[$z]) ;pulls members of nested Group C (member of Group B)
       For $a = 0 To UBound($members_3) - 1
        If $members_3[$a] = "" Then ContinueLoop
        $member_count += 1
        ReDim $contacts[UBound($contacts) + 1][3]
        $contacts[UBound($contacts) - 1][0] = $group_name
        $contacts[UBound($contacts) - 1][1] = $members_3[$a]
        $contacts[UBound($contacts) - 1][2] = "PUBLIC_GROUP"
       Next
      Else
       $contacts[UBound($contacts) - 1][1] = $members_2[$z]
      EndIf
     Next
    Else
     $contacts[UBound($contacts) - 1][1] = $members[$y]
    EndIf
   Next
Edited by gcue

So you want to look for Joe in group1, and if you find him, search in group1's nested group, and if you find him there another nested group? Do you also have to search a group2 with nested groups as well for the same person?

Group 1 (FOUND HIM)
   Nested 1 (FOUND HIM)
      Nested 2 (FOUND HIM)
         Nested 3 (nope...  return Nested 2)
Group 2 ( FOUND HIM)
   Nested 1 (nope... return Group 2)
Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

actually not really looking for someone specific just want to drill down all the nested groups to the point where i have a listing of all the members and not any groups in the member list.

Hi gcue,

I assume you are talking about Active Directory groups?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

A recursively called function should do what you want.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

not sure what you mean? you mean a function which repeats the same for loop to save on code lines?

im trying to figure out on how to drill down exactly the amount of levels that i need to. no more no less =)

in other words get all the members (even from nested groups-an unknown amount of levels) as efficient as possible

Edited by gcue

Global $fCheckNestedGroup = True
Global $sGroupName

While $fCheckNestedGroup
    _CheckNestedGroup($sGroupName)
WEnd

Func _CheckNestedGroup($s)
    [ ... your code here to enumerate the group ... ]
    If [... check for additional nested group ... ] = true then
        $fCheckNestedGroup = True
        $sGroupName = $sNestedGroupName
    Else
        $fCheckNestedGroup = False
    EndIf
EndFunc

Maybe this kind of logic will work?

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

gcue,

Wikipedia: "Recursion is the process of repeating items in a self-similar way."

How it is used in computer sciencie s defined here.

For an AutoIt example please check my OutlookEX UDF, function_OL_FolderFind. This function calls itself until all folders have been processed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

very cool solution water - getting stack overflow - hmmm

here's what i came up with:

Func GetGroup_Members($group_name)

$dbView = $db.GetView("Groups")
    $doc = $dbView.GetDocumentByKey($group_name, True)

If Not IsObj($doc) Then
        Return "INVALID_GROUP"
    EndIf

$members = $doc.GetItemValue("Members")

For $y = 0 To UBound($members) - 1

If StringInStr($members[$y], "@") = 0 And StringInStr($members[$y], "CN=") = 0 Then ;this is how i know the member is a group
            $members_nested = GetGroup_Members($members[$y]) ;so i pull group members again and add to the same array

For $z = 0 To UBound($members_nested) - 1
                ReDim $members[UBound($members) + 1]

$members[UBound($members) - 1] = $members[$z]
            Next
        Else

$members[UBound($members) - 1] = $members[$y]
        EndIf
    Next

Return $members

EndFunc   ;==>GetGroup_Members
Edited by gcue

Hi gcue,

the initial processing has to be done outside of the function - because you call this function over and over again. You just pass the starting point (the group) to the function.

This starting point has always to be of the same type - a group name, group object etc.

I think the following part of the code has to be outside the function to "calculate" the starting point.

If Not IsObj($doc) Then
        Return "INVALID_GROUP"
    EndIf

After the you start the enxt recursion level you have to assign the result ($members_nested) to the total result ($members). Now you assing $members to $members.

If you have questions I will provide more details tomorrow.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

hmm not sure i understand what you mean..

that section you're referrign to is how i get the members of a group - dont see how that wouldnt be a part of the recursive function.

thanks for your help water - much appreciated!

I see. Then at least

should be outside the function an passed as a parameter.

I will check the code and post an example for you to test.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

OK. Here is some is some code for you to play with ;)

$sGrouName = "Group name you want to process"
$aResult = GetGroup_Members($dbView, $sGroupName)
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
Exit

Func GetGroup_Members($dbView, $group_name)

If Not IsObj($doc) Then Return ""
    For $y = 0 To UBound($members) - 1
        If StringInStr($members[$y], "@") = 0 And StringInStr($members[$y], "CN=") = 0 Then ;this is how i know the member is a group
            $members_nested = GetGroup_Members($dbView, $members[$y]) ;so i pull group members again and add to the same array
            If IsArray($members_nested) Then
                $iMembers = UBound($members)
                ReDim $members[UBound($members) + UBound($members_nested)]
                For $z = 0 To UBound($members_nested) - 1
                    $members[$imembers + $z] = $members_nested[$z]
                Next
            EndIf
        Else
            $members[UBound($members) - 1] = $members[$y]
        EndIf
    Next
    Return $members

EndFunc   ;==>GetGroup_Members

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

If you're getting stack overflow errors, you need to slow the process down (i.e. add some sleeps). What's happening is it's looping too quickly and its reading data into memory faster than it can take it out. You're trying to make the fat kid run for his cake.

Spoiler

Can you post the exact message? Is it created by AutoIt or the operating system?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki