Seeking PHP IDE as good as ours

I find myself in an unfortunate situation - my company's PHP developer is no longer with the company, and our POS system has issues. We have been limping along with it for a long time but want to move on to another solution. Problem is that this is our second in-house system and we have a lot of needs that off-the-shelf software hasn't had. We made a HUGE mistake trying QuickBooks Enterprise but the cost of the add-ons on top of the core was too much and the overall package was still lacking on some ways and overkill in others so we got a refund on that, and other solutions that look good on paper just don't cut it when we try them out.

I have almost no experience in PHP, just basically looking at the code that exists already. I am looking for suggestions on finding a PHP IDE with the features I have come to rely on from SCiTE and AutoIt - I want a function reference with examples, autocomplete for functions, inline syntax usage would be helpful, and would really like to have a feature like Tidy. What I need is something geared for a total PHP noob!

Any good suggestions?

Thanks!

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Hello llewxam,

there is an php api for scite at http://www.scintilla.org/php.api

Realm

P.S. If I remember right, that maybe for PHP4, I'm still looking for the webpage that shown how to set it up, will post when I find it.

Edit: I was correct when I said it was for PHP4.

The link, that I believe is from the original author of the api, is here http://www.msghelp.net/printthread.php?tid=76675, with directions to setup the api

If you need php5, just google 'Scite PHP5 API', I used Bing with 'Scite PHP API' to find this page again, and it returned a large number of results. I'm sure someone has written a scite api for PHP5 somewhere.

Edited by Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

Thanks guys, but that still pales in comparison to AutoIt via SCiTE - no autocomplete, no inline syntax assistance, no function reference, no Tidy...just color-coding the functions.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, but I edited the PHP hash out of SciTEGlobal.properties file, and downloaded the .api and properties files to their proper locations.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Hey llewxam i started also playing with php and a friend of mine told me about CodeLobster is portable and is free.

It looks nice google it if u want. ;)

Also i like very much PsPad...

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif"] [/font]

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I installed NetBeans and I think it's probably really good but didn't play too much. Seems like it over-analyzes a bit, but maybe that's a good thing. Jury is still out.

Eclipse also seems nice, and much leaner than NetBeans.

Sublime - WOW. Not sure how much syntax help is can give but really slick - the highlighting is great!!!

I'll try the other ones tomorrow and hopefully one will stick out. Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Ian

My projects:

I use notepad++ and have never had problems. You can enable code hints in options. It supports a vast range of languages. It is free/open source. It is a programmers dream.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]My code does not have bugs! It just develops random features.[/font]My Projects[list][*]Live Streaming (Not my project, but my edited version)[right]AutoIt Wrappers![/right][/list]Pure randomness[list][*]Small Minds.......................................................................................................[size="1"]Simple progress bar that changes direction at either sides.[/size][*]ChristmasIt AutoIt Christmas Theme..........................................................[size="1"]I WAS BOOOORED![/size][*]DriveToy..............................................................................................................[size="1"]Simple joke script. Trick your friends into thinking their computer drive is haywire![/size][/list]In Development[list][*]Your Background Task Organiser[*]AInstall Second Generation[/list]BEFORE POSTING ON THE FORUMS, TRY THIS:

%programfiles%/AutoIt3/autoit3.chm

• 2 months later...

Where are you located (I am looking at new jobs/contracts)? I do PHP scripting as well as work with AutoIt. :-)

My suggestion is phpDesigner. I use it when I get stuck on some error with PHP. It includes a built-in web server and PHP debugger. It will sometimes throw an error/exception at you - but it isn't because phpDesigner has a problem/bug - but because the debugger sometimes barfs and that is the error you see. A very nice piece of software altogether.

There is also rapidPHP but it costs a lot more than phpDesigner. You can Google both of them. :-)

Not an IDE as such, but Sublime Text 2 is well worth the investment.

I like the look of that. The list to string feature I have already. I created it a while ago, quite by accident (honestly!). It wasn't what I was trying to do at the time. Most of the stuff I create is by accident. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i use NetBeans for PHP, Html, Javascript, css and c++ when i use QT and maybe one day for Autoit :) i really do love how he manage local project file and source file , he do it like a pro :)

GreenseedMCSE+I, CCNA, A+Canada, QuebecMake Love Around You.

• 11 months later...