WinWaitActivate question

Hi, thanks for the previous help. I am currently trying to make it so the script will not run if a certain window is not open (it will wait for 5 seconds before timing out), but will run if the window is open but may not be active (it will switch to the active window in this case and run the script). What I have so far was auto generated from the Au3Recorder and I read I should put a number in the timeout parameter so it will wait for X# of seconds then timeout (exit script):

Func _WinWaitActivate($title,$text,$timeout=5)
WinWait($title,$text,$timeout)
If Not WinActive($title,$text) Then WinActivate($title,$text)
WinWaitActive($title,$text,5)
EndFunc

;later on as I recall the func:

_WinWaitActivate("Untitled - Notepad","")
MouseClick("left",74,681,1)
Send("Hello world")

But right now when I run the script, even if the "Untitled - Notepad" window is not open, the script will still run, and perform the actions without the window open. How should I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Func _WinWaitActivate($title, $text, $timeout = 5)
WinWait($title, $text, $timeout)
If Not WinActive($title, $text) Then WinActivate($title, $text)
If Not WinWaitActive($title, $text, 5) Then
  Return 0
Else
  Return 1
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WinWaitActivate

;later on as I recall the func:
If _WinWaitActivate("Untitled - Notepad", "") Then
  MouseClick("left", 74, 681, 1)
  Send("Hello world")
Else
  Exit
EndIf

EDIT:

By the way, it is customary here if you are going to thank someone, to do it in the thread you got the help

not some random future thread.

Alternatively you can use the like button as a thanks.

Good luck with your future coding.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post but i am trying to get my head around which to use and exactly how WinWaitActive works.

I read the manual but sill a little confused

I just need someone to help me understand and help explain to me

i have  a full script that works but only need clarification on the below part of the code

this basically checks if myprogram.exe is open if it is then it closes it and reopens

but i want the program when reopened to then have the focus and if i use  WinWaitActive("My Program window name") then click the window myself this works fine but i want it to automatically select the window but if its not there to wait until it is ,so hence why i believe WinWaitActive("My Program window name") would be better as its waiting but if i dont click the window then it waits for ever , which i believe is what is supposed to be happening

if i use the code below then i believe that  once the script has processed WinActivate("My Program window name") it will move on, but sometimes the window may not be open so will cause errors

but using below code

WinActivate("My Program window name")
    WinWaitActive("My Program window name")

this works too without me selecting it with the mouse

but i dont see why i need to activate it twice

full code sampe of what i need help with below

#Region myProgramCheck ---
Func myProgramCheck()
    Sleep(2000)
    While 1 ; Opens up a WHILE loop, with 1 as a constant, so it is infinite
        If ProcessExists("myProgram.exe") Then
            ProcessClose("myProgram.exe")
            ;Run("C:\Pro;gram Files (x86)\myProgram.exe") ; if the process of myProgram.exe doesn't exist, it starts it
            Sleep(1000) ; Puts the script to sleep for 1 seconds so it doesn't chew CPU power
        ElseIf Not ProcessExists("myProgram.exe") Then
            Run("C:\Program Files (x86)\myProgram.exe") ; if the process of myProgram.exe doesn't exist, it starts it
            Sleep(1000) ; Puts the script to sleep for 1 seconds so it doesn't chew CPU power
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    WEnd ; Closes the loop, tells it to go back to the beginning
EndFunc   ;==>myProgramCheck
#EndRegion myProgramCheck ---

;which do i use??
    WinWait("My Program window name")

hope you can help clarify which to use

Many thanks

• Moderators

I guess I am a bit confused. Are you saying, once the window appears, sometimes it is active and sometimes it is not? Personally, I would just do it like this:

WinWait("My Program Window", 60) ;Wait for 60 seconds for the window to appear
WinActivate("My Program Window", "") ;Bring the window into focus once it exists

You could even put in an If statement after the WinWait, to handle the exception of the window not existing (look at WinExist) after the 60 seconds, or whatever timeout you choose).

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

it seems to activate but I wanted to be 100% sure that it does and that it can't continue without it actually having the window to activate and then continuing

I just wanted really to fully understand how autoit processes the requests

I understand that if I use 

that it waits until that window is clicked and then becomes active, this I tested so I get this 

but its fully knowing when to use each other command and that if one of the others is better to use to get what I want

but will see how I get on with an if statement 

• Moderators

If you are clicking on the window (buttons, entering info, etc.), have you looked at the Control* commands in the help file? Then it doesn't matter if the window is active or not, as long as it exists.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I am later in the code using the control commands it was just which was better to use in the opinion of people that have been using autoit for a long while

either

winwait()

winactivate()

winwaitactive()

what I found works is below but most of what I done it 100% trial and error not really a full understanding even though I read the manual, sometimes other peoples input helps explain things better, then the manual makes sense

WinActivate("My Program")
    Sleep(3000)
    ControlSend("My Program", "", "[CLASS:WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.141b42a_r12_ad1; INSTANCE:3]", $pinDigit1)