Create Excel and Run Macro

Hello,

i have been scouring the forums for a solution on this but cannot find anything that answers my question, althought there is hundreds of threads on the excel UDF

I am creating an excel sheet within autoit (hidden) and then i want to run the following macro on the sheet:

Sub insertlines()
Dim i As Long: i = 1
Do Until Cells(i, 1) = ""
If Cells(i, 2).Value <> Cells(i + 1, 2).Value Then
Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 16)).Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlContinuous
End If
i = i + 1
Loop
    With ActiveWindow
        .SplitColumn = 0
        .SplitRow = 1
    End With
    ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

End Sub

Can anyone advise how to do this?

thanks

You can run all vbs commands from AutoIt directly.

Search the forum for Excel UDFs. They will show you how to proceed.

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

You can run a workbook macro like this:

$oExcel.Run("Macro1")

Or like this if Macro1 requires parameters:

$oExcel.Run("Macro1",$date2,$FileName3)

You can only do this if the maco is stored in the sheet. I am creating a new sheet from AutoIT

Why do you want to run a macro? Translate the VBA macro to AutoIt and run it on the Excel sheet you just created.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Why do you want to run a macro? Translate the VBA macro to AutoIt and run it on the Excel sheet you just created.

Because i couldnt work out how to convert the VBA to AutoIT... What I was trying to do there is no functions for in the UDF.

I found a workaround... instead of creating the workbook by _ExcelWorkbookNew, I used fileinstall to place a copy of a blank workbook with my macro in it in the temporary directory, then open it using _ExcelBookOpen(@TempDir & "ExcelMacro.xlsm",0) and populate the sheet from AutoIT as desired.

Then I run the macro using $oExcel.Run("MacroName")

The macro performs the desired actions and self deletes, I save the workbook as and delete the temporary .xlsm file with FileDelete.

It works - thought I'd post incase it helped someone else...

• 2 weeks later...

@Water

How do you translate a VBA macro into autoIT? My macro above for example.

Or if you could help me to this it would be even better ;)

Sub Query()

Dim qt As QueryTable

sqlstring = "select * from stockitems"

connstring = "ODBC;Driver={SQL Server};Server=sqlserver;Database=testdb;Uid=sa; Pwd=sa;"

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=connstring, Destination:=Range("A1"), Sql:=sqlstring)

.Refresh

End With

End Sub

Can't test at the moment but I think this should work:

Func Query()
    Local $sqlstring = "select * from stockitems"
    Local $connstring = "ODBC;Driver={SQL Server};Server=sqlserver;Database=testdb;Uid=sa; Pwd=sa;"
    Local $oQuery = $oExcel.ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add($connstring, $oExcel.ActiveSheet.Range("A1"), $sqlstring)
    $oQuery.Refresh()
End Func

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It doesnt work, because you can't use ActiveSheet without the 'With' / 'End With' clause.

or i can't seem to anyway.

E.G if i do: (within excel)

ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=connstring, Destination:=Range("A4"), Sql:=sqlstring)

ActiveSheet.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

It tells me compile error expecting '='

It doesnt work, because you can't use ActiveSheet without the 'With' / 'End With' clause.

Sure you can run it without "With / EndWith". That's just used to keep the commands you need to type short.

For my above example to work you need to set $oExcel using _ExcelBookNew or _ExcelBookOpen.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Oh the other thing - i had

BackgroundQuery:=False

after my refresh statement in VBA - how would i include that?

It doesnt seem like you can have any spaces in the command.

E.G i tried

$oQuery.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

Use

$oQuery.Refresh(False)
Details can be found here.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki