Using AutoIT to verify text within Windows application is correct

I am looking for automation tools that will allow me the capability to automate the test testing effort of a windows application and I stumbled upon AutoIT. It looks like AutoIT can simulate mouse clicks, etc. to simulate and execute various features within a windows application. Do methods also exist to verify text within a windows application is correct? If it were a web browser based project, Selenium would work excellent to do this. I basically need to check to ensure that the text within the application is reporting correctly. Any ideas and will AutoIT be able to do this?

• Moderators

Hi, boxcarbaker086. It really depends on the type of window that is up whether you'll be able to get the text. Out of curiosity, what is the application you're trying to automate testing on? Are you looking to grab text just to confirm the window is there? If so, there may be easier ways to confirm the window is present so you can begin your test procedures.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Also, is there anyway I can seach for text that has links? For example, if my program displays "Enabled" and "Disabled" as valid states for a given feature and say the state is currently set to "Enabled", then the "Disabled" option will still appear but will have a link on it to signify that it can be toggled to that state. I am basically trying to find an automation tool that will let me test a VMware vCenter plugin that is COM based. Just checking the text in my case may not be enough. Using my example above, "Enabled" and "Disabled" will display no matter what the current state is... so I need a way to actually verify that when I toggle the state, that the UI updates appropriately.

• Moderators

It really depends upon the plugin. Last I knew there were two ways to create a plugin for vCenter: script-based and the C# API. How the plugin is created will affect what information you can pull from it, or how you can manipulate it. Can you let us know which plugin you're working with, and perhaps a screen shot of the window with your "enabled/disabled" buttons?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Basically, I've got a web service that I was originally able to test using Selenium. Now, it is being displayed inside a vSphere client tab (plugin) and I need to test all the functionality of the application as I was able to do with Selenium to ensure all functionality continues to work inside the plugin.