Controlling Website Controls

Guest TheThumper

Guest TheThumper

I have never tried using AutoIt for working with a website till tonight and ran into a little problem. I need to click a button, I was using Send("{TAB}") to move around and Send("{ENTER}") to select but I found that the site that I am trying to navigate has varying items to tab through so on one visit it may take 3 tabs and on another visit it may take 10. From what I remember you don't want to try and use mouse position either (plus this button will tend to move on the web page anyway)

I am pretty new to AutoIt, is there any suggestions for my problem?

thanks!

I have never tried using AutoIt for working with a website till tonight and ran into a little problem.  I need to click a button, I was using Send("{TAB}") to move around and Send("{ENTER}") to select but I found that the site that I am trying to navigate has varying items to tab through so on one visit it may take 3 tabs and on another visit it may take 10.  From what I remember you don't want to try and use mouse position either (plus this button will tend to move on the web page anyway)

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

your only option is COM functions which you need the lastest beta to run.
[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]

I have never tried using AutoIt for working with a website till tonight and ran into a little problem.  I need to click a button, I was using Send("{TAB}") to move around and Send("{ENTER}") to select but I found that the site that I am trying to navigate has varying items to tab through so on one visit it may take 3 tabs and on another visit it may take 10.  From what I remember you don't want to try and use mouse position either (plus this button will tend to move on the web page anyway)

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this is a fundamental function, that seems to be missing generally, not with just AutoIt: read the object having the current focus in a webpage.

I was planning to use some mixture of Pamie, AutoIt, or Watsup to automate a javascript infested browser page. I planned to do this:

-go to the page (using COM )

-send a tab to go to the next control in the browser, and then more tabs to go to different links in the page

-continue sending tabs until the target link is found, while checking after each tab the text of the link with the focus until the right one is hit.

I can send tabs easily enough, but how can I get the text of the link that has the focus?

I don't seem to be able to do that with any of these tools, though I'm still exploring. Since the page I am automating is generated by the page's javascript, any test for the links of the frames does not seem to work in Pamie. (Not sure why that is...)

AutoIt has ControlGetFocus, and ControlCommand, but so far it seems that they follow the cursor, not the focus that the tab generates. [i need more testing here to understand how these work.]

This should really be a simple thing, but for the moment it has me stumped as well. Of course, I have been looking at these tools for only about a week.