Multiple SciTEs and user properties

For days I have searched for answers to no avail. Maybe you could help? I have SciTE4AutoIt3 installed and I also have another SciTE for another language. The problem I experience is that they both use the same SciTEUser.properties in my profile folder. It's my understanding that you can use Tools --> Local User Options to to set individual user properties but this doesn't seem to work. Have you experienced this and were able to figure out the solution? If so, pray tell said solution.

I understand that the hierarchy is this:

1) SciTE.Properties

2) SciTEDirectory.Properties

3) SciTEUser.Properties

4) SciTEGlobal.Properties

When I use SciTE.Properties for my second SciTE those settings still seem to be overridden by the SciTEUser.Properties in my profile folder.

Create a script that copies one properties file and overwrites the one that's in your profile directory, and then opens Scite. Have 2 copies of the properties files one for each language, plus the one in the user profile, e.g. SciteuserXlang.properties, SciteuserYlang.properties, and copy the correct one for the language you want. You could even have it throw up a GUI so you could choose the one you want to copy over.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Why do you have 2 versions of Scite installed, when one version should be able to handle multiple languages, if by languages you're referring to programming languages? If you look at the au3.properties file, you can see that there are settings in there that are only used when the language is AutoIt, you should be able to do the same thing with whatever other language you're using in another properties file than the user.properties file.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I think I figured out how to make the SciTEDirectory.Properties work. It has to be enabled in SciTEGlobal.Properties. The key is properties.directory.enable=1. Once that is done then add a SciTEDirectory.Properties to the top level directory of your project folder.

I have to use two scites because the other language I want to use has a scite which has been customized specifically for that language.

If you want to run SciTE with different configurations, write a wrapper that sets the SciTE_HOME environment variable and launches SciTE

Edited by ProgAndy

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

I have to use two scites because the other language I want to use has a scite which has been customized specifically for that language.

That's not an answer. Customized how? Custom lexer? Custom Lua scripts?

It sounds to me like you are creating a problem and then trying to solve it when you don't have a problem and thus don't need a solution.

It sounds to me like you are creating a problem and then trying to solve it when you don't have a problem and thus don't need a solution.

It is easier to run 2 instances of SciTE at once instead of combining two full-blown SciTE configurations. (e.g. SciTE-ru and SciTE4Autoit)

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Custom lexer. If I combined them then wouldn't I have to combine them everytime I want to use the latest SciTE4Autoit? And then I guess I would have to compile Jos' SciTE4AutoIt possibly using things to which only he has access. I'm not sure about that. I never considered combining them before. It would be a good learning process.

"I don't use either package" I'm curious, what IDE do you use for AutoIt?

Propably a customized SciTE version.

And then I guess I would have to compile Jos' SciTE4AutoIt possibly using things to which only he has access. I'm not sure about that.

AFAIK the scilexer.dll has a modified AutoIt-lexer. SciTE.exe is unmodified. SciTE-ru on the other hand has a modified SciTE.exe, but the Scilexer.dll is propably unmodified.

Custom lexer. If I combined them then wouldn't I have to combine them everytime I want to use the latest SciTE4Autoit? And then I guess I would have to compile Jos' SciTE4AutoIt possibly using things to which only he has access. I'm not sure about that. I never considered combining them before. It would be a good learning process.

You could use an external lexer.

I use SciTE. I wrote most of the Lua scripts SciTE4AutoIt uses but those I didn't write are things I don't need or want. The same with all the various tools that are provided by that package.

AFAIK the scilexer.dll has a modified AutoIt-lexer. SciTE.exe is unmodified.

False. SciTE4AutoIt3 does have the latest version of the lexer but in the past - when things were stable - Jos would submit that code to Neil for inclusion in the official Scintilla. We do make minor modifications to SciTE. There's a fix for large property files and a tweak to the Save As dialog. There may be other minor changes but they are all very very minor things.