[SOLVED] Improving PCRE knowledge, parsing HOSTS file for hostnames.

The following code works very well from what I've tested, but I'm wondering if there's a different/better approach to parsing the HOSTS file for the hostnames inside the file. I know there is a HOSTS UDF by JScript, but if there are 5 hostsnames on a single line e.g. 127.0.0.1 www.text.com www.test.com www.example.com it will fail where mine doesn't.

Thanks to anyone who offers improvements.

Working code.

#include <Array.au3> ; For _ArrayDisplay.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $sData = FileRead(@SystemDir & '\drivers\etc\HOSTS')

; Strip comments e.g. # This is a single comment. #
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '#.*', '')

; Strip forwarding IP address e.g. 127.0.0.1
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '(?m)^\s*(?:\d{1,3}\.){3}\d{1,3}', '')

; Parse HOSTS file to create an array with the hostnames in the file.
    Local $aArray = StringRegExp(' HOSTS_Count ' & $sData, '(?:[\w\.\-/]{3,})', 3) ; Past ideas: '((?:\d{1,3}\.){3}\d{1,3})\s+(.*?)\r\n' ... '((?:[\w\-]*\.+)+[\w\-]*)'
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(4096, '', 'An error occurred when parsing the HOSTS file.')
    Else
        ; Replace the 0th element with the number of items in the array.
        $aArray[0] = UBound($aArray, 1) - 1

; Ask whether or not to display the array using _ArrayDisplay, can be slow depending on how large your HOSTS file is.
        If MsgBox(4 + 4096, '', 'Would you like to display the Array? (Could be slow depending on how large you HOSTS file is.)') = 6 Then
            _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Updated: With suggestions by Spiff59.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice your SRE to strip comments seems to leave the end-of-line characters in place, so wouldn't inserting "" instead of @CRLF just leave less data to parse later?

On the last SRE, I'd think appending a dummy entry to the front of $sData would save you having to Redim() the array, or shift the first entry to the end (leaving the list out of sync with the actual file), something like?

Local $aArray = StringRegExp("xxx" & $sData, '(?:[w.-/]{3,})', 3)
Edited by Spiff59

I notice your SRE to strip comments seems to leave the end-of-line characters in place, so wouldn't inserting "" instead of @CRLF just leave less data to parse later?

The reason I did this was another SRE was parsing both the forwarding address and hostname, though it's not needed anymore. Changed.

On the last SRE, I'd think appending a dummy entry to the front of $sData would save you having to Redim() the array, or shift the first entry to the end (leaving the list out of sync with the actual file), something like?

I normally do this, no idea why I didn't do it this time. Thanks Spiff59.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

been playing with this some -- maybe it will help.

#include  ; For _ArrayDisplay.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $aArray, $sData = '127.0.0.1 DummyEntry' & @CRLF

;$sData &= FileRead(@SystemDir & 'driversetcHOSTS.');<- dot

;#cs
    $sData &= '# string one' & @CRLF
    $sData &= '   # string two' & @CRLF
    $sData &= @CRLF & @CRLF & @CRLF
    $sData &= ' 127.0.0.1   localhost' & @CRLF
    $sData &= ' 127.0.0.1' & @TAB & ' www.url1.com # string three' & @CRLF
    $sData &= '  127.0.0.1' & @TAB & '  1www.url2.com # string four' & @CRLF
    $sData &= '   127.0.0.1' & @TAB & '   123.url3.com/page.htm' & @CRLF
    $sData &= ' 127.0.0.1' & @TAB & '    url4.com/folder/text.txt' & @CRLF
    $sData &= '127.0.0.1    www.some-site.com/file.zip' & @CRLF
    $sData &= '# string five' & @CRLF
;#ce

$aArray = StringRegExp($sData, '(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}W+(.*?)[^dw-.]', 3)
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
EndFunc
Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Thanks ripdad, a different approach with the SRE, exactly what I was looking for to improve my knowledge.

Edit: I think you're missing a forward slash in your SRE if I'm not mistaken & w includes digits so no need for d. Also you can have multiple host names on a single line e.g. 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost2 localhost3, which isn't being picked up with your SRE.

Thanks for participating.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

If your hosts file is fairly clean, it should work. (I have seen some messy ones in the past)

I left the forward-slash out on purpose. I only wanted the root website address.

You can add it in if you wish.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

See above for additional comments, but otherwise a different insight into PCRE.

UDF List:

-"Thanks for participating"

glad to be of service.

-"multiple host names on a single line"

I put each entry on it's own line, but I threw it out there ... modify how you like.

@ripad,

Also a commented line will silently be processed as if uncommented:

'# string five 127.0.0.1 www.absolutely-forbiden.site'

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

jchd,

I didn't see that one coming.

I don't have sites that are commented, so I didn't think of it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Looks as though that SRE works just like mine does.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I've found interesting trying to come up with a one-liner regexp, just for the fun. And here it is (AFAIK it works):

#include <Array.au3> ; For _ArrayDisplay.
Example()
Func Example()
    Local $sData = FileRead(@SystemDir & 'driversetcHOSTS')
    ; Parse HOSTS file to create an array with the hostnames in the file.
Local $aArray = StringRegExp($sData, "(?im)G(?:(?:^s*#.*s*)*|(?:^s*)*)*(?:|(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}s+)([[:alpha:]][w.-/]{2,})s*", 3)
    If @error > 1 Then
        MsgBox(4096, '', 'An error ' & @error & ' occurred when parsing the HOSTS file.')
    Else
        _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

In fact it isn't that tricky. If someone has a counter-example, please post it.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

It returned @error 1 (I had to change @error > 1 to see it the MsgBox.) The reason being is you can have multiple hostnames on a single line >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958812.aspx which is what I do to optimise the HOSTS file.

Otherwise it works jchd if a single hostname is used, thanks for your input.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Here is what I got but I cannot get rid of the #... suffix if available.

#include <array.au3>

$sHosts = _
'# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each' & @CRLF & _
'# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should' & @CRLF & _
'# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.' & @CRLF & _
'# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one' & @CRLF & _
'# space.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual' & @CRLF & _
'# lines or following the machine name denoted by a "#" symbol.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# For example:' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server' & @CRLF & _
'#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host' & @CRLF & _
'127.0.0.1       localhost  #current host' & @CRLF & _
'10.10.10.10 nirvana.somewhere-test.com' & @CRLF & _
 '                          20.20.20.20                                   www.text.com www.test.com www.example.com #dummy' & @CRLF & _
'10.10.10.20 test'

$aFilterHosts = StringRegExp($sHosts, "(?m:^)s*d+.d+.d+.d+s*(.*)", 3)
_ArrayDisplay($aFilterHosts)

Any help?

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

@guinness, Spiff59

Strange, that was precisely why I had some fun working on it. It works fine here: multiple entries on the same IP work and last site works too. Please can you both post a sample file making it fail (post a file, not a copy'n'paste else the forum is likely to reformat whitespaces, which may make a difference in this case).

@UEZ,

Hi, the problem with the line-by-line approach (^ anchoring) is that you get a single result entry in case of multiple targets for the same IP. That's the whole purpose of my use of G (which would gain to be documented in our help, BTW). Then all the mess around the capture only serve to "eat" unsignificant portions. At least it was the idea... sigh!

Edited by jchd

I tested jchd's script with that hosts.txt file and it was able to grab all entries as well as the doubled up entry for testco.com, except for the last entry "127.0.0.1 www.abcsearch.com #[Restricted Zone site]"

[0]|localhost

[1]|test.bleepingcomputer.com

[2]|admin.abcsearch.com

[3]|www.testo.com

[4]|www3.abcsearch.com

I even tested it with the blank lines at the end of the file removed and no CRLF at the end of the last entry and it picked up everything but the last one. The regex is way beyond me so I can't figure out why.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator